Likely to get Accepted after Rejection?

Answers to various questions regarding the SMART Scholarship application process. Includes many tips and statistics.
SAD Face

Likely to get Accepted after Rejection?

Post by SAD Face »

Hello SMART people,

Do any of you know what the chance are to get a SMART award offer after being initially denied? I am stilling going through the stages of grief I know that this scholarship would be life changing to me.

Thanks again.

An EE Major

Re: Likely to get Accepted after Rejection?

Post by An EE Major »

Give it up. It’s over for the both of us

Dilly

Post by Dilly »

I'm very upset too. It's not *OVER*, but you should probably plan as if you're not getting it.
Semi-finalist :)
At a state university - 3.90 GPA
Pursuing BS in civil engineering w/ minor in geology

Vio404

Post by Vio404 »

I didn't get it after the rejection date last year. My brother did though in 2017 he got an email in May I believe. But yeah don't hold out any hope, I did and it will slowely crush you. ngl Im a bit bitter and it's ok to be bitter sometimes.

smart

Post by smart »

When I received this ward last year, I received a rejection email. Then a week later I received an offer email. Check those spam folders!

frankiesmith

Post by frankiesmith »

Originally I wasn't even a semi-finalist, then a week later I got an email asking me for an interview.

Hope for the best but expect the worst!
Applicant
GPA: 3.8
Pursuing: BS in Information Technology w/ SysAdmin & CyberSec Concentration

MATSCI BOI

Post by MATSCI BOI »

Would there be anything wrong with contacting the facilities and mentioning how if there is an empty slot that pops up, I would love if they can reconsider me? Kind of like a letter of interest after you get waitlisted from a college. I not sure if that would be annoying for them, but I feel like the worse they can say is no.

Dilly

Post by Dilly »

It's not up the facilities anymore. They submitted their lists to SMART, now SMART puts the puzzle together to see who they can afford to send to the SFs.
Semi-finalist :)
At a state university - 3.90 GPA
Pursuing BS in civil engineering w/ minor in geology

human234895

Post by human234895 »

It's entirely possible. I myself was a second-round pick. So don't give up, but also don't pin your self-worth on a scholarship. It stinks not to get something you hoped for, but it's part of the process. I have sent off LOTS of unsuccessful scholarship/fellowship/grant applications during my educational career haha

fr1111

Post by fr1111 »

In the last SMART Webinar, one scholar received the scholarship in May 2020, and the other one in June 2020 (2020 cohort). Both were rejected in the first email.

Now, the following is all my opinion and nothing is a fact (i.e. NOT officially said by SMART):

Since awardees have until April 19 to accept the scholarship, I think there is a possibility for some of us who did not get accepted in that first "round" to get accepted in the "second round" . Also, there are still site visits. Awardees can also say no to the scholarship after the site visit, so there exist a little chance that someone who got rejected is going to receive an acceptance email later during the semester or summer.

Guest9

Post by Guest9 »

Any second wave at awards so far?

fr1111

Post by fr1111 »

Guest9 wrote:
Fri Apr 23, 2021 2:05 am
Any second wave at awards so far?
At least not me.

Hopefully this week??

randomusr

Post by randomusr »

No second round awards??? :?: :?:

scheffc

Post by scheffc »

I'm in the 2017 cohort and I initially received a rejection letter before eventually being offered the scholarship. That year the program was allotted more money and they were able to recruit more students than expected. I'm not sure if that was a one-off or how common that is. It was all very last minute and I didn't even interview (rejection letter directly to an offer letter).

iraa1

Post by iraa1 »

I didn't, but I got a FAANG offer a year later so it didn't matter.