2021 Finalist Rejection Emails?

Answers to various questions regarding the SMART Scholarship application process. Includes many tips and statistics.
Nervous

2021 Finalist Rejection Emails?

Post by Nervous »

Hey everyone,

I have not heard back yet. I was wondering if people got rejection emails? Does no news = rejection? Also, will there be more awards sent out today and the rest of the week?

fr1111

Re: 2021 Finalist Rejection Emails?

Post by fr1111 »

Hello,

I have not received anything yet. Be calm, we have the rest of the week.

Unsure

Post by Unsure »

I have not heard back, and I have also not gotten a rejection email. It’s unclear from the finalists thread if everyone got their acceptances today at 8:03am Eastern, or if folks have been getting emails throughout the day.

wysdem

Post by wysdem »

Unsure wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 2:00 pm
I have not heard back, and I have also not gotten a rejection email. It’s unclear from the finalists thread if everyone got their acceptances today at 8:03am Eastern, or if folks have been getting emails throughout the day.
I spoke with a rep this morning (10am eastern), they will be sending out acceptance email all week.

From my understanding (this part isn't confirmed)
Any one who receives an offer must respond by the 19th, if they decline or fail to respond they will back fill the spot from the remaining semi-finalist.
Non-traditional Student - Industrial Engineering Major at a State University
GPA - 3.95

Post by Guest »

wysdem wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 2:09 pm
Unsure wrote:
I spoke with a rep this morning (10am eastern), they will be sending out acceptance email all week.

Any one who receives an offer must respond by the 19th, if they decline or fail to respond they will back fill the spot from the remaining semi-finalist.
For people who will be waiting for the second wave of acceptances, do you think it will help to reach out to anyone about our interests?

wysdem

Post by wysdem »

Guest wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 2:14 pm
wysdem wrote:
Unsure wrote:

For people who will be waiting for the second wave of acceptances, do you think it will help to reach out to anyone about our interests?
First off I'm uncertain so take everything with a grain of salt. (Hurray for qualifying statements!!!)

If my understanding is correct (another!), at this point the SF have submitted their top picks and it is up to SMART now. I don't imagine that in the next two weeks they are going to reach out to SFs and ask them to pick again each time they get a decline/no answer from applicants. Which is a long form of saying no, I don't think reaching out will improve your chances, but it also won't hurt them.
GPA - 3.95

Dilly

Post by Dilly »

Yeah, my understanding is also that it's all in SMART's hands now. Recommendations were made so it's all a budget game at this point.
I also got no email yet.
Semi-finalist :)
At a state university - 3.90 GPA
Pursuing BS in civil engineering w/ minor in geology

ryantetreault

Post by ryantetreault »

Just got a rejection email. ;(

"Hello SMART Applicant,

Thank you for applying for the Science, Mathematics, and Research for Transformation (SMART) Scholarship-for-Service Program. At this time, you have not been selected for an award. The Department of Defense will continue to make awards over the next few weeks. If the Department of Defense decides to offer you an award, you will be notified.

If you are not contacted, this will serve as your final notification for the 2020 application cycle. We encourage you to apply again in August and appreciate your interest in the SMART Scholarship. We wish you all the best in your continued academic career.

Respectfully,

The SMART Program"
Aerospace Engineering Hopeful

Dilly

Post by Dilly »

Just got my rejection, too. *sigh*
Semi-finalist :)
At a state university - 3.90 GPA
Pursuing BS in civil engineering w/ minor in geology

Biomed

Post by Biomed »

ryantetreault wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 5:14 pm
Just got a rejection email. ;(

"Hello SMART Applicant,

Thank you for applying for the Science, Mathematics, and Research for Transformation (SMART) Scholarship-for-Service Program. At this time, you have not been selected for an award. The Department of Defense will continue to make awards over the next few weeks. If the Department of Defense decides to offer you an award, you will be notified.

If you are not contacted, this will serve as your final notification for the 2020 application cycle. We encourage you to apply again in August and appreciate your interest in the SMART Scholarship. We wish you all the best in your continued academic career.

Respectfully,

The SMART Program"
Got the same email at 5:12 PM (EST).

Well, it was a good run. Congrats to everyone else who made it!

frankiesmith

Post by frankiesmith »

Rejected at 1413 (PST).
BUT. I'm still holding on to a little sliver of hope... 😅
Applicant
GPA: 3.8
Pursuing: BS in Information Technology w/ SysAdmin & CyberSec Concentration

Post by Guest »

wysdem wrote:
Unsure wrote:

I got rejected today and feeling very sad... I was wondering if the representative you talked knows how many acceptances they will give out after today. Could you call them again?

sad rn

Post by sad rn »

I also got the rejection email :(

I don't know what more I could've done - I'll be graduating December 22 so this was my last opportunity to apply. I even had two interviews and one location told me that I was their top choice (the wording they used was 'priority' but I don't remember the exact conversation) and still got rejected.

BS Computer Science with Mathematics minor
4.0 GPA from a state university
I also had prior military experience

ryantetreault

Post by ryantetreault »

sad rn wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 5:41 pm

I don't know what more I could've done - I'll be graduating December 22 so this was my last opportunity to apply. I even had two interviews and one location told me that I was their top choice (the wording they used was 'priority' but I don't remember the exact conversation) and still got rejected.

You graduate this December?

sad rn

Post by sad rn »

ryantetreault wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 6:12 pm
sad rn wrote:

December 2022, so I barely met the 1.5 year requirement for the scholarship

ryantetreault

Post by ryantetreault »

sad rn wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 6:20 pm
ryantetreault wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 6:12 pm
sad rn wrote:

December 2022, so I barely met the 1.5 year requirement for the scholarship
Oh, I thought you meant the 22nd of December. My bad

wysdem

Post by wysdem »

Guest wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 5:38 pm
wysdem wrote:
Unsure wrote:

I got rejected today and feeling very sad... I was wondering if the representative you talked knows how many acceptances they will give out after today. Could you call them again?
from the SMART website give the support number a call (not the IT one) be prepared to sit on hold for 30+ minutes, I think there is only one person who answers the phone and she has been outstandingly pleasant and helpful the three times I have called in over the last six months.
GPA - 3.95