2021 Finalist Decisions

Answers to various questions regarding the SMART Scholarship application process. Includes many tips and statistics.
samanam

Re: 2021 Finalist Decisions

Post by samanam »

I just received accepted notification:
Freshman, 3.89 GPA
Computer Science at Picatinny Arsenal in NJ

Guest0405

Post by Guest0405 »

Got the award! Congratulations to all. For those who haven’t received email yet, don’t give up yet. Even those who may have received rejection emails, I believe there’s a “2nd round” of awardees, to fill in for those who declined the award from 1st round.

I’m a Senior HS (incoming CompSci Freshman for Fall 2021), but I will have about about 33 college units completed by this semester. I’ll do another post to ask the question on whether I can still request Smart to change my award to 3 years scholarship only.

An EE Major

Post by An EE Major »

Guest0405 wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 12:25 pm
Got the award! Congratulations to all. For those who haven’t received email yet, don’t give up yet. Even those who may have received rejection emails, I believe there’s a “2nd round” of awardees, to fill in for those who declined the award from 1st round.

I’m a Senior HS (incoming CompSci Freshman for Fall 2021), but I will have about about 33 college units completed by this semester. I’ll do another post to ask the question on whether I can still request Smart to change my award to 3 years scholarship only.

Is the award email period over?
Or are there more emails from facilities being sent out?

Guesthere

Post by Guesthere »

An EE Major wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 12:28 pm
Guest0405 wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 12:25 pm

Is the award email period over?
Or are there more emails from facilities being sent out?
I’m pretty sure they’ll be rolling out all day. They’re probably doing it by last name or location I would assume, so it may take awhile to get everything sent out.

Guest0405

Post by Guest0405 »

I believe the email notifications are still rolling throughout today and possibly for a few more days this week.

hopeful123

Post by hopeful123 »

A representative said "After today, no further notifications will be sent out." but not sure if that includes if anyone declines their offer

wysdem

Post by wysdem »

hopeful123 wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 12:52 pm
A representative said "After today, no further notifications will be sent out." but not sure if that includes if anyone declines their offer
The rep I spoke with this morning (10am eastern) said they will continue notifying through the end of the week.
Non-traditional Student - Industrial Engineering Major at a State University
GPA - 3.95

curious12

Post by curious12 »

has anyone heard from maryland facilities ?

neon_cs

Post by neon_cs »

An EE Major wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 12:13 pm
Has anyone heard from Lackland Airforce base in TX? Or anything in Texas?
I got accepted to Lackland!

jsalt231

Post by jsalt231 »

Got the scholarship!
Sophomore, 3.76 GPA
Physics/Optics at Air Force Test Center at Edwards AFB
(If anyone else got an award at AFTC/Edwards AFB and is thinking about it, please reach out! I'd be really interested in talking with someone else about it)

Good luck to everyone still waiting on a response and in the second round as well!!!

noblefishh

Post by noblefishh »

Got the award as a PhD to a SF in CA.

An EE Major

Post by An EE Major »

neon_cs wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 1:17 pm
An EE Major wrote:

Did you just get the email or did you get it this morning?
Lackland is the only place I interviewed with so if I didn’t get in there I’m most likely not getting at all

Oceaneer23

Post by Oceaneer23 »

curious12 wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 1:03 pm
has anyone heard from maryland facilities ?
Not sure where you're looking for but I heard from Carderock this morning.
Ocean Engineering Sophomore 3.9 GPA from one of the universities with higher numbers of SMART winners

For those who didn't get it this year, my interviews with Carderock I got because of my essay and special skills on my resume. They said they had applicants with higher GPAs but my essay showed that I really cared and wasn't just doing it to get the scholarship, do my few years, and leave. So don't give up.

So excited to be part of this cohort!

MarineStudent

Post by MarineStudent »

Has anyone heard back from San Diego, CA-Naval Information Warfare Center Pacific

Post by Guest »

Any chemical engineers hear back?

wysdem

Post by wysdem »

MarineStudent wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 1:48 pm
Has anyone heard back from San Diego, CA-Naval Information Warfare Center Pacific
Haven't heard yet, they were my second choice with NIWC- Atlantic as my first
Non-traditional Student - Industrial Engineering Major at a State University
GPA - 3.95

neon_cs

Post by neon_cs »

An EE Major wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 1:29 pm
neon_cs wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 1:17 pm
An EE Major wrote:

Did you just get the email or did you get it this morning?
Lackland is the only place I interviewed with so if I didn’t get in there I’m most likely not getting at all
I got the email at this morning at 8am EST from the SMART scholarship. I check the award letter on the portal and it said I was assigned to Lackland.

T-SMART

Post by T-SMART »

This might be a silly question, but how the heck do we know who are Sponsoring Facility is? I only had one interview, so I’m guessing it’s with them, but nothing in the email I received this morning about being selected for the award, and nothing in my applicant portal, says anything about my SF. I’d like to contact them to discuss adjusting my anticipated service commitment/years of PhD funding, but not sure how to do that if I don’t even know which one it is! Lol

Post by Guest »

Log onto the smart website to access your award and documents.

noaward

Post by noaward »

Just got an email that awards have all been sent out.. Only received this email after contacting them.

Nervous

Post by Nervous »

noaward wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 4:13 pm
Just got an email that awards have all been sent out.. Only received this email after contacting them.
Can you copy and paste the email message in this chat? What did they say? There has been multiple different statements regarding when awards will stop being released.

Post by Guest »

MarineStudent wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 1:48 pm
Yes, I received an award email at 8:03am Eastern time. I'm a PhD Physics/EE student if that helps.

scared

Post by scared »

Guest wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 3:54 pm
Log onto the smart website to access your award and documents.
What is the URL for the portal login? Since the applications closed in December, I get a 404 error when I try to access my application portal - is there another one?

Post by Guest »

Has anybody heard from the NGA? I know they only had a couple spots really to fill.

Nervous

Post by Nervous »

Guest wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 4:37 pm
Has anybody heard from the NGA? I know they only had a couple spots really to fill.
No. Which branch location of the NGA you looking at? Did you get an award?