Did the app ask what level of security clearance we had if any?

Answers to various questions regarding the SMART Scholarship application process. Includes many tips and statistics.
seagull

Did the app ask what level of security clearance we had if any?

Post by seagull »

I don't remember, does anyone recall if the DoD SMART Application asked what level of clearance we had if any?

ChimkenWingz

Re: Did the app ask what level of security clearance we had if any?

Post by ChimkenWingz »

Hm.. I think yes?? I have a clearance as well and am sure I marked that down somewhere... I feel that as long as it's mentioned, even within your LOR's, you should be fine and hopefully they will still know and realize.

your_local_cheezit

Post by your_local_cheezit »

:shock: :o You guys have security clearances already?! Woah, you guys must DEFINITELY be top picks!!!

Biomed

Post by Biomed »

seagull wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 3:32 pm
I don't remember, does anyone recall if the DoD SMART Application asked what level of clearance we had if any?
Yes, in the form of two questions:

1) Your clearance level, if current or active
2) The agency/company who was sponsoring it
your_local_cheezit wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:22 pm
:shock: :o You guys have security clearances already?! Woah, you guys must DEFINITELY be top picks!!!
Ehhh not really - I think it's more about fitting in with an SF than specific clearances.

Also, the applicant's current clearance would need to match the actual SF required clearance. If an applicant had a Secret and the SF required a Top Secret/Top Secret SCI, a new investigation would have to be conducted for the applicant. Having a prior clearance that does not match the required clearance does not speed up the investigation process.

A+ student

Post by A+ student »

Ehhh not really - I think it's more about fitting in with an SF than specific clearances.

Also, the applicant's current clearance would need to match the actual SF required clearance. If an applicant had a Secret and the SF required a Top Secret/Top Secret SCI, a new investigation would have to be conducted for the applicant. Having a prior clearance that does not match the required clearance does not speed up the investigation process.
[/quote]

I, personally, gotta disagree here... I've got a TS/SCI w/ a full scope poly still active from a previous internship and if these guys do as well, to the SF's AND SMART panelists I've spoken to about it, they HIGHLY prefer those with it, especially with regards to less money they'd have to spend on you, the fact that you could start working earlier, PLUS that it already speaks about your ability to work in a classified type environment WHILE maintaining it. Does it guarantee you the scholarship? Absolutely NOT by ANY means. HOWEVER, you've definitely got a VERY, VERY good chance, quite frankly. Though, that's only my opinion. Appreciate the interesting insight and conversation on it though....

Biomed

Post by Biomed »

A+ student wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:05 pm

I, personally, gotta disagree here... I've got a TS/SCI w/ a full scope poly still active from a previous internship and if these guys do as well, to the SF's AND SMART panelists I've spoken to about it, they HIGHLY prefer those with it, especially with regards to less money they'd have to spend on you, the fact that you could start working earlier, PLUS that it already speaks about your ability to work in a classified type environment WHILE maintaining it. Does it guarantee you the scholarship? Absolutely NOT by ANY means. HOWEVER, you've definitely got a VERY, VERY good chance, quite frankly. Though, that's only my opinion. Appreciate the interesting insight and conversation on it though....
[/quote]

Again, it really depends on your background and what you're studying. Obviously a CS student with a TS/SCI already is more valuable than a CS student without a clearance for SFs looking for CS students.

If you had a biology major with a TS/SCI but an SF is looking for CS students, the SF would probably not extend an offer to that specific bio student based solely on their clearance.

Also since it's DoD SFs the background investigation is funded by OPM and does not cost the SF anything.