selection/recommendation

Answers to various questions regarding the SMART Scholarship application process. Includes many tips and statistics.
confused11

selection/recommendation

Post by confused11 »

Ok so I am a little confused, does anyone know why an SF might submit a person as their recommendation/selection to SMART, but then SMART might not accept it/ make them a finalist? I was told by one of the SF's that they were submitting me as their selection, and I guess I initially was naive to think that meant I am getting it, but from this forum, it seems it is a possibility that sometimes people get selected but then don't receive the scholarship, does anyone know why? Haha, sorry seeing that made me a little nervous because the person who interviewed me literally was so nice and said they look forward to working with me and now I am confused because I thought if they choose you you're in. :shock:

Re: selection/recommendation

Post by Guest »

SMART may not have funding for you or they may have other factors they consider (maybe background checks or how long you're requesting). So even if you're the first choice for a SF, if your schooling is 60K a year and the 2nd-5th choices schooling is only 15K a year then they may just take the lower choices because they could take 4 people for the price of 1. I was told that once a SF submits your name it is in the hands of SMART and they have certain qualifiers to ultimately select you.

confused11

Post by confused11 »

Guest wrote:
Wed Mar 24, 2021 3:07 pm
SMART may not have funding for you or they may have other factors they consider (maybe background checks or how long you're requesting). So even if you're the first choice for a SF, if your schooling is 60K a year and the 2nd-5th choices schooling is only 15K a year then they may just take the lower choices because they could take 4 people for the price of 1. I was told that once a SF submits your name it is in the hands of SMART and they have certain qualifiers to ultimately select you.
Ahhhh I see. So as long as my background is clean (which it is squeaky clean), and my tuition is low (it's under 13K a year) and I'm only needing 2 years, then hopefully SMART will approve me?

Dilly

Post by Dilly »

I'd say your chances are great, given those stats.
Semi-finalist :)
At a state university - 3.90 GPA
Pursuing BS in civil engineering w/ minor in geology