Did not receive interview yet, should I reach out to SFs?

Answers to various questions regarding the SMART Scholarship application process. Includes many tips and statistics.
Biomed

Did not receive interview yet, should I reach out to SFs?

Post by Biomed »

It has been a month already, and with no interviews I'm getting a bit concerned. I remember reaching out to some SFs a few years ago when I made it as a semi-finalist (again with no interviews), but the response was mixed - some SFs were polite at best and others were downright hostile.

For those who have not yet received an interview, do you think it is appropriate to reach out to SFs at this point?

I mean, the worst they can say is no, right?

Dilly

Re: Did not receive interview yet, should I reach out to SFs?

Post by Dilly »

If you do, I'd phrase your inquiry like this:
I'm a SMART semi-finalist and I'm most interested in your facility. I realize your deadlines are approaching to make your recommendations and was wondering if there were any questions you might have about me/my experience.

Something along those lines so it doesn't come across as you pestering them for a decision but rather offering more info about yourself while also showing your enthusiasm for their facility. Bonus if you can work in a specific field of research or project that they're doing that is of particular interest to you.

I'm feeling the same stress of no contact! But people DO get awards without hearing a thing, so I wouldn't sweat it too much. (She says as she compulsively searches her email for the 1000th time today).
Semi-finalist :)
At a state university - 3.90 GPA
Pursuing BS in civil engineering w/ minor in geology

Dilly

Post by Dilly »

I got bold and called the switchboard and got directed to try someone and reached him on the first try. He said he was about to go to a meeting but he knew my name and why I was calling and would call me back later this afternoon.
Eeeeeeeeeek I hope I made the right decision!

wysdem

Post by wysdem »

Dilly wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 1:57 pm
(She says as she compulsively searches her email for the 1000th time today).
That last line made me go check my email (again), didn't even realize I was doing till it was too late.

Post by Guest »

Dilly wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 3:31 pm
I got bold and called the switchboard and got directed to try someone and reached him on the first try. He said he was about to go to a meeting but he knew my name and why I was calling and would call me back later this afternoon.
Eeeeeeeeeek I hope I made the right decision!
No way! What SF was this? What number did you call and who did ask for? I’m considering reaching out too but I don’t want to come off as impatient or irritating.

Dilly

Post by Dilly »

He didn't call back. :-( I thought that might happen since he was supposed to be in his meeting til 4:30, that he might forget and just head out.
I called again at 5 and left a voice mail with my availability for tomorrow.
It's Pittsburgh that I'm going for. I called the main number and explained what position I'm hoping for and asked who I might talk to. The guy at the switchboard directed me to the right chief. At this point, I'm just happy my application isn't lost in some HR limbo.
I think as long as you make sure you don't come off as pleading or insistent, it's worth a shot. That's my MO, though. I always think action is better than inaction. And I think it helps that my facility isn't super competitive.

Dilly

Post by Dilly »

Lol, as soon as I finished typing that, he called! Had a great 30 minute chat. We really hit it off so I'm feeling much better. I think I was right that they didn't really know how SMART works but now he's aware the deadline is approaching so I'm hopeful that my name will be on the short list.
He also said, and I quote, "fortune favors the bold."
;-)

horizons

Post by horizons »

I only just got contacted a week ago so it is possible that you still have more time. I was also one of the people who had to call to find out if there were a semi-finalist so applications are not lost in that regard.
I was also told today that the interview/facilities are just one piece of the puzzle. Maybe there are facilities that take students without interviewing them.

Biomed

Post by Biomed »

Dilly wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 8:01 pm
Lol, as soon as I finished typing that, he called! Had a great 30 minute chat. We really hit it off so I'm feeling much better. I think I was right that they didn't really know how SMART works but now he's aware the deadline is approaching so I'm hopeful that my name will be on the short list.
;-)
Good luck! Glad calling them worked out for you! Unfortunately the SF I'm interested in only lists a public relations office. When I tried calling their number at different times of the day it went straight to voicemail.
horizons wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 9:46 pm
I only just got contacted a week ago so it is possible that you still have more time. I was also one of the people who had to call to find out if there were a semi-finalist so applications are not lost in that regard.
I was also told today that the interview/facilities are just one piece of the puzzle. Maybe there are facilities that take students without interviewing them.
Not holding my breath. I unfortunately picked a major (Biomedical Engineering) that has historically never been awarded in the history of the SMART program.

ryantetreault

Post by ryantetreault »

I have not heard anything either, but there is still a whole month to go.
Aerospace Engineering Hopeful

Dilly

Post by Dilly »

Biomed, did you get a call back, or try again?

Biomed

Post by Biomed »

Biomed wrote:
Tue Mar 02, 2021 12:57 am
Dilly wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 8:01 pm
;-)
Good luck! Glad calling them worked out for you! Unfortunately the SF I'm interested in only lists a public relations office. When I tried calling their number at different times of the day it went straight to voicemail.
Dilly wrote:
Mon Mar 08, 2021 12:43 pm
Biomed, did you get a call back, or try again?
No call back. I left a voicemail. Was told afterwards (by text message, strangely enough) to email their public affairs office, who will then forward the email to the appropriate individuals for reviewing SMART applicants. I did that last week and still have not received a response.

I think I've accepted the fact that it the chances look grim for me.

Dilly

Post by Dilly »

:-(
Here's hoping you get a pleasant surprise in April!