Did not set a "preferred" location

Answers to various questions regarding the SMART Scholarship application process. Includes many tips and statistics.
seagull

Did not set a "preferred" location

Post by seagull »

I marked that I did not have a "preferred" location on my application (currently a semi-finalist), did I just put myself at a major disadvantage? If I would have known, I would have specified locations. Any input would be really appreciated 🙏

frankiesmith

Re: Did not set a "preferred" location

Post by frankiesmith »

I didn't even realize that that was an option???

From my understanding, the way it works is that whoever you put as your preferred SF gets firsts dibs on you and then if they pass other SFs can take a look at your application.

You said you are a semi-finalist so the fact that you've even made it this far... I would say you haven't put yourself at a disadvantage. Have you gotten an interview or anything?

seagull

Post by seagull »

frankiesmith wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:43 pm
I didn't even realize that that was an option???

From my understanding, the way it works is that whoever you put as your preferred SF gets firsts dibs on you and then if they pass other SFs can take a look at your application.

You said you are a semi-finalist so the fact that you've even made it this far... I would say you haven't put yourself at a disadvantage. Have you gotten an interview or anything?
Thank you so much for your timely response, I really appreciate it.

I wish I could reopen my application so I could screenshot it,, but I basically inputted that I had no preference or specific SFs in mind when it asked for top 3 choices from what I remember.

I also haven't gotten any interviews yet so I'm kinda worried but also have no idea what to even expect. There are people who 'don't make it' as semi-finalists, but then are contacted by SFs, people that don't get contacted at all that get accepted, or those who get rejected in April but then in June get an offer.

The process seems so confusing, I just hope I didn't hamper my chances if SFs will be solely looking at applicants who marked them as their preferred facilities. Sorry for the rant!

frankiesmith

Post by frankiesmith »

seagull wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 11:39 pm

I also haven't gotten any interviews yet so I'm kinda worried but also have no idea what to even expect. There are people who 'don't make it' as semi-finalists, but then are contacted by SFs, people that don't get contacted at all that get accepted, or those who get rejected in April but then in June get an offer.

The process seems so confusing, I just hope I didn't hamper my chances if SFs will be solely looking at applicants who marked them as their preferred facilities. Sorry for the rant!
This is my first time applying so I dont have much experience in the whole process.

Also. If you can't rant on the internet where can you rant? Lol

I was one of those people that got a second chance. I got a rejection email and then 2 weeks later I was asked to interview for an SF that wasn't even on my top 3. With that in mind, the process can be very frustrating and confusing but, the fact that you're a semifinalist says a lot!
I honestly don't think you've hampered your chances. :)
"Prepare for the worst, but hope for the best."
Applicant
GPA: 3.8
Pursuing: BS in Information Technology w/ SysAdmin & CyberSec Concentration

seagull

Post by seagull »

frankiesmith wrote:
Thu Feb 25, 2021 1:34 am
seagull wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 11:39 pm

This is my first time applying so I dont have much experience in the whole process.

Also. If you can't rant on the internet where can you rant? Lol

I was one of those people that got a second chance. I got a rejection email and then 2 weeks later I was asked to interview for an SF that wasn't even on my top 3. With that in mind, the process can be very frustrating and confusing but, the fact that you're a semifinalist says a lot!
I honestly don't think you've hampered your chances. :)
"Prepare for the worst, but hope for the best."
This is also my first time applying, so that's part of why I'm really nervous 😭😭 I was just speaking on account of what I've read of what other people have experienced in this forum and on reddit.

But I also wanted to say thank you for your response, you don't know how much I appreciate it. I'll try to say positive 😊

Ryah n

Post by Ryah n »

I'm in the same EXACT boat!!! I've convinced myself that I ruined my chances, even though I'm a semi-finalist. It's nice to see that other people are in the same situation and it might not be as bad as I think, but the process is so vague that I don't really understand how much of a disadvantage im at, if any.

seagull

Post by seagull »

I completely agree!! If I had known, I would have chosen top 3 facilities. I'm also glad that I'm not alone, but I guess we will have to see. This process is just pretty confusing, so I don't want to count us out just yet...🤞🏻🙏🏻 😭
Let's still hope, we still have March!