Interview calls

Answers to various questions regarding the SMART Scholarship application process. Includes many tips and statistics.
tkdmm

Re: Interview calls

Post by tkdmm »

Thank you dilly. Reminded him not to voluntarily mention that he also got an email from another SF. But I guess if they ask him, he would need to just give a quick answer that another SF contacted him.

On his application, he only provided one email address.

Question to everyone, are all your interviews through the phone only, or has anyone had any zoom meeting or any video meeting?

JasonQ13

Post by JasonQ13 »

Dilly wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 6:40 pm
I wouldn't. Just interview with both. If he gets an offer from both, he can pick, I'm pretty sure. But you don't want neither to offer, thinking he's getting placed elsewhere.

I'm so paranoid that the interview request will be sent to my generic Gmail and that I'll miss it. Did your messages get sent to your school email, or the one on your resume? Or the one you registered with SMART for your application? I need to know which one to be scouring.
Mine was sent to my school email; the email that I got the notification that I am a semi-finalist.

JasonQ13

Post by JasonQ13 »

tkdmm wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:34 pm
Thank you dilly. Reminded him not to voluntarily mention that he also got an email from another SF. But I guess if they ask him, he would need to just give a quick answer that another SF contacted him.

On his application, he only provided one email address.

Question to everyone, are all your interviews through the phone only, or has anyone had any zoom meeting or any video meeting?
My SF during my interview asked if I was contacted by anyone else, so they might try to ask him. Also, mine was by phone, and I feel like a majority of them are over-the-phone interviews.

ParadoxOSK

Post by ParadoxOSK »

Anyone get a call from Huntsville, AL?

Post by Guest »

I got a call to set up an interview at a facility that I didn't rank (but it's close to where I live). If the interview goes well and they decide to offer me an award, can other facilities still contact me? In the event that more than one facility wants to sponsor me, would it be my decision or first come, first served...?

Post by Guest »

ParadoxOSK wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:14 pm
I got a call from Huntsville Friday. They contacted me since I live so close to Redstone. Supposed to have my interview Thursday.

ParadoxOSK

Post by ParadoxOSK »

Guest wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:33 pm
ParadoxOSK wrote:
I got a call from Huntsville Friday. They contacted me since I live so close to Redstone. Supposed to have my interview Thursday.
That's great! I hope I do soon too, what major are you? Also, is it the Arsenal or another Facility?

Ryah n

Post by Ryah n »

JasonQ13 wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 6:19 pm
ParadoxOSK wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 4:09 pm
Does anyone know about how many people the SF's can interview each year?
My interviewer said that the facility he is located at had 104 semi-finalists pick them as either their first or second choice that they can view. He also said that out of those 104 people, his facility could only get around 10 of them. I’m sure the number would change based on the facility, but that’s the ballpark he gave me.
I didn't have any "preferred" locations, only because I'm really flexible with moving anywhere, but are the facilities we chose as preferred the only ones notified of our application? I was under the impression all facilities could see your application, otherwise I would've chosen some preferred facilities :?

JasonQ13

Post by JasonQ13 »

Ryah n wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 11:16 am
JasonQ13 wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 6:19 pm
ParadoxOSK wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 4:09 pm
Does anyone know about how many people the SF's can interview each year?
My interviewer said that the facility he is located at had 104 semi-finalists pick them as either their first or second choice that they can view. He also said that out of those 104 people, his facility could only get around 10 of them. I’m sure the number would change based on the facility, but that’s the ballpark he gave me.
I didn't have any "preferred" locations, only because I'm really flexible with moving anywhere, but are the facilities we chose as preferred the only ones notified of our application? I was under the impression all facilities could see your application, otherwise I would've chosen some preferred facilities :?
If you didn't put any down, and I'm guessing that if you are a semi-finalist, your application WILL be available for all of the facilities, but it will only be exclusively sent to those facilities, and it's my understanding that they will basically pick from that group of people before anyone else. You might find that a facility could still offer your a spot if they don't have many scholars that applied or something like that, so don't lose hope!

Post by Guest »

ParadoxOSK wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:33 pm
Guest wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:33 pm
ParadoxOSK wrote:
That's great! I hope I do soon too, what major are you? Also, is it the Arsenal or another Facility?
I'm a freshman and where I go to college, we can't declare until the end of freshman year. I'm intending to major in electrical eng. and comp. sci. though. Also, I'm pretty sure it's the Arsenal.

jsalt231

Post by jsalt231 »

ParadoxOSK wrote:
I had a call with one of the directorates at the facility I applied to at Redstone yesterday, and I have another call some other people there this Friday. I'm a sophomore majoring in Optical Engineering.

Also good luck to you, I hope you get a call soon! And to all the other people applying there as well!

ParadoxOSK

Post by ParadoxOSK »

jsalt231 wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 4:34 pm
ParadoxOSK wrote:
I had a call with one of the directorates at the facility I applied to at Redstone yesterday, and I have another call some other people there this Friday. I'm a sophomore majoring in Optical Engineering.

Also good luck to you, I hope you get a call soon! And to all the other people applying there as well!
Thank you! I'm really glad that there's a lot of people getting interview calls and everything is going well. Was yall's calls for the Arsenal or for the Missile and Space Intelligence Center?

jsalt231

Post by jsalt231 »

Thank you! I'm really glad that there's a lot of people getting interview calls and everything is going well. Was yall's calls for the Arsenal or for the Missile and Space Intelligence Center?
[/quote] oops I messed up the quotations lol

Mine was for the SMDC Technical Center at the Arsenal!

frankiesmith

Post by frankiesmith »

ParadoxOSK wrote:
Not necessarily from Huntsville, AL but from a facility that has a location there.

anon2002

Post by anon2002 »

Did anyone get a call from NIWC Pacific or NSWC Corona? I'm so nervous that I won't get an interview!

Dragon0

Post by Dragon0 »

It seems like they not giving computer scientist any interviews at least so far :?

anon10

Post by anon10 »

Has anyone who applied under Cognitive, Neural, and Behavioral Sciences been contacted yet?

tkdmm

Post by tkdmm »

My son applied as CompSci major. This week, he had phone interview with SF (I think he put this as his #2 or #3 preferred SF). It was just about 15 mins phone call. According to him, it went well overall. He was told he’ll hear the result/decision from SMART “around late March or April”. Also fyi, he was not asked if another SF contacted him. But if he was asked, he was ready to answer yes.

He will have another interview with a different SF next week (his #2 or #3 preferred SF). It was supposed to be this week, but they rescheduled it to next week.

tkdmm

Post by tkdmm »

Forgot to mention: The first SF that he interviewed this week, just called him to schedule appt, then they even confirmed thru text. No emails.

The 2nd SF for next week’s phone interview contacted him thru emails only.

seagull

Post by seagull »

Dragon0 wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:26 pm
It seems like they not giving computer scientist any interviews at least so far :?
:o :o :o
Huhhhh??? I'm a computer science major, what does that mean for us...

Dragon0

Post by Dragon0 »

seagull wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 11:43 pm
Dragon0 wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:26 pm
:o :o :o
Huhhhh??? I'm a computer science major, what does that mean for us...
oh, stand correct I guess they are giving interviews. sorry lol let's not stress over it.

sloth

Post by sloth »

Has anyone who applied as an environmental sciences applicant been contacted yet? I know the number of applicants and awardees in this category is few and far between.

Biomed

Post by Biomed »

sloth wrote:
Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:12 am
Has anyone who applied as an environmental sciences applicant been contacted yet? I know the number of applicants and awardees in this category is few and far between.
Following this - anyone who applied for Biosciences or Biomedical Engineering been contacted yet?

kpa226

Post by kpa226 »

I'm also in the environmental science boat and haven't been contacted yet

Nlafrag

Post by Nlafrag »

Has anyone listed NGA as their preferred sf?