Reference Suggestions??

Answers to various questions regarding the SMART Scholarship application process. Includes many tips and statistics.
chemEdee

Reference Suggestions??

Post by chemEdee »

So, I'm an incoming college freshman who doesn't know ANY of my professors yet. Are high school teachers (science) appropriate to use as references? Any advice on this matter?

xkcd13

Re: Reference Suggestions??

Post by xkcd13 »

I used a high school coach/ ap calc teacher as one of my references and I got the scholarship.

chemEdee

Post by chemEdee »

That's amazing! You probably had some sort of professional experience that set you apart though? haha, maybe I'm wrong.

xkcd13

Post by xkcd13 »

Well, yes. I did have a little bit of professional experience.

I applied as a sophomore, though. My suggestion is to join some clubs at your school. Talk about your clubs and projects you have done in class. Almost anything can be made into professional experience.

chemEdee

Post by chemEdee »

Yes, that's what I was planning on doing. There are several engineering organizations at my school that have great volunteering opportunities. I'll probably end up waiting until right before the deadline to actually apply so that I've got almost a full semester of college out of the way. By that time, I'm sure I will have participated in more than a few class projects....I don't know what to expect as far as selection goes. Considering the fact that I'm a freshman, it doesn't look very good for me. All I can do is try my absolute hardest! Thanks for the advice!