Getting a non-SMART DoD Facility to become an SF

Answers to various questions regarding the SMART Scholarship application process. Includes many tips and statistics.
Biomed

Getting a non-SMART DoD Facility to become an SF

Post by Biomed »

Evening everyone,

Has anyone ever gotten a non-SMART DoD facility to become an official Sponsoring Facility? I'm a civilian engineer (federal employee) working for the DoD but unfortunately my organization is not affiliated with SMART, much less heard of it. I've been trying to ring this up to my chain of command but so far it's been stalled for over a year.

I would very much like to apply as a retention candidate for grad school, but I'm stuck in a holding pattern waiting for a plan from the higher-ups. Anyone have experience with this? I'm trying to avoid reinventing the wheel if possible.

JustinB

Re: Getting a non-SMART DoD Facility to become an SF

Post by JustinB »

I am also interested in this. I am interested in working for Walter Reed Army Institute of Research & US Army Research Institute of Infectious Diseases, but neither Army facility is registered as an SF.

your_local_cheezit

Post by your_local_cheezit »

This is also a question I had!! I had an internship with the DoD in H.S., though, my facility is not SMART sponsored -- I'd like to return, if chosen as a finalist (currently a semi-finalist) and have bought it to their attention, but it doesn't seem like they're aware of it either. Maybe if and when we're finalized, it could be addressed on a case by case basis? Not sure.

Dilly

Post by Dilly »

Every branch has their own coordinator regarding this. I know the USACE one is Dana Gunter, at the ACE headquarters in DC. I got her info by calling the Army liason listed under the Contact Us link here: https://www.smartscholarship.org/smart
The coordinator is the one who sends the applications out to the various facilities, so if you have a contact at a facility, giving the coordinator that info seems like a good first step.
Semi-finalist :)
At a state university - 3.90 GPA
Pursuing BS in civil engineering w/ minor in geology