2021 Applicants Thread

Answers to various questions regarding the SMART Scholarship application process. Includes many tips and statistics.
aqzws

2021 Applicants Thread

Post by aqzws »

I know we're dealing with our initial reactions to the rejection, but we should start working on tips and strategies for winning the scholarship next year.

Background info:

Program: PhD Human Factors (Cognitive, Neural, and Behavioral Sciences)
Years remaining: 3 years
Grad GPA: 3.9
Experience: 1 publication in the Human Factors proceedings, 1 upcoming NREIP internship at the Naval Information Warfare Center- Pacific. Multiple research experiences in general Human Factor roles (e.g., UX, Usability).
Locations: NIWC-Pac, AFRL, Naval Sea Systems Command, NRL in D.C., NUWC, NSMRL, NAWCTSD (I still have to narrow it down)
Last edited by aqzws on Wed Jul 08, 2020 2:56 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Chicka

Re: 2021 Applicants Thread

Post by Chicka »

I found a really good website once that had all the current research being done, but I can't for the life of me find it! One go to site I used was the Dod STEM site. It at least lists the basic research and core competencies.
https://dodstem.us/labs

I'm kind of in the same boat as you where I applied (2nd time) for SMART but got an internship at my top choice this Summer. It may be for good since I'm switching majors. The major I applied to SMART to was CS, but I just transferred schools and I'm now majoring in Unmanned Systems Applications.

Only way I'll apply to SMART again is for a dual BS/MS program. I saw in the other thread that someone got it after 4 times applying, so maybe 3x a charm?

aqzws

Post by aqzws »

We should scope this thread in a way that helps us make our applications more competitive. If you were awarded the scholarship, could you provided your materials anonymously?

anxiouslywaiting

Post by anxiouslywaiting »

Didn't get a position and this is my only year I could apply since I would graduate too soon for next year's application :( Sad day.

navyengr

Post by navyengr »

For human factors you could try applying to some of the Navy facilities. Specifically, Naval Submarine Medical Research Lab and Naval Undersea Warfare Center have human factors scientists/engineers. I think NUWC is bigger than NSMRL so probably has more funding.

aqzws

Post by aqzws »

navyengr wrote:
Sun Apr 26, 2020 5:30 pm
For human factors you could try applying to some of the Navy facilities. Specifically, Naval Submarine Medical Research Lab and Naval Undersea Warfare Center have human factors scientists/engineers. I think NUWC is bigger than NSMRL so probably has more funding.
Wow! Thanks for the heads up :) I'll look into those when the time for applications gets closer.

Post by Guest »

navyengr wrote:
Sun Apr 26, 2020 5:30 pm
Do you have any suggestions as to how I should contact someone from the base that would be able to let me know if they would take a smart scholar in my field?

aqzws

Post by aqzws »

Applications open up in a month!