Suggestions for Sponsoring Facilities in CA

Answers to various questions regarding the SMART Scholarship application process. Includes many tips and statistics.
mixolydianSSF

Suggestions for Sponsoring Facilities in CA

Post by mixolydianSSF »

Having been following this forum for some time, I have noticed that many SMART Scholars have been disappointed with their post-graduation employment. Consequently, I am searching for background information on the listed sponsoring facilities in case I get an interview and also so I can better select my top three SF's on the application. I have done some research on my own. However, for many facilities, reliable information is scarce or simply not available and if it is, may or may not pertain to incoming SMART scholars. I was wondering whether anyone had first- or second-hand knowledge concerning any facilities in California. In particular, I am looking for whether the facilities tend to be more focused on research, design and development or if they focus on acquisition and logistics.

I am currently pursuing my BS in Electrical Engineering so there are a lot of options for me to consider. Based on what I've heard, I would guess that the Army Corps of Engineers is to be avoided (I can't say I have any solid evidence for this). Currently the facilities at the top of my list are:

Note: These names are pulled from the updated list on the application rather than from the list of sponsoring facilities on the SMART website.
– Air Force Research Lab, Aerospace Systems Directorate (Edwards AFB, CA)
- Air Force Test Center (also Edwards AFB, CA)
- 30 Civil Engineering Squadron (Vandenburg AFB, CA)
- Naval Air Warfare Center Weapons Divisions (China Lake, CA)
- Naval Air Warfare Center Weapons Divisions (Port Mugu, CA)
- Air Force Space Command Space and Missile Systems Center (Los Angeles AFB, CA)
- U.S. Army CCDC Army Research Laboratory (Los Angeles, CA)
- Defense Microelectronics Activity (McClellan, CA)

If anyone has any experience with or knowledge of these facilities or any others in California, I would greatly appreciate whatever guidance you can provide!

Thank you,
Jesse B.
2020 SMART Scholarship Recipient
B.S. in Electrical Engineering at Cal Poly San Luis Obispo ('23)
Edwards Air Force Base, CA

kbl2017

Re: Suggestions for Sponsoring Facilities in CA

Post by kbl2017 »

-China Lake has a huge R&D program, they're a good one to look at and they're on the R&D payscale.
-SMC (Los Angeles) is an acquisition base, there's very limited R&D and generally it's not the civilians doing the R&D but rather the Contractors for what tiny bit there is.

mixolydianSSF

Re: Suggestions for Sponsoring Facilities in CA

Post by mixolydianSSF »

kbl2017 wrote:-China Lake has a huge R&D program, they're a good one to look at and they're on the R&D payscale.
-SMC (Los Angeles) is an acquisition base, there's very limited R&D and generally it's not the civilians doing the R&D but rather the Contractors for what tiny bit there is.
Thanks so much! Do you know if China Lake's sister program at Port Mugu (also called Naval Air Warfare Center Weapons Division) also does significant R&D?
2020 SMART Scholarship Recipient
B.S. in Electrical Engineering at Cal Poly San Luis Obispo ('23)
Edwards Air Force Base, CA