Round 2

Answers to various questions regarding the SMART Scholarship application process. Includes many tips and statistics.
se00an

Round 2

Post by se00an »

Hello,

Apparently this "Round 2" of appointing people as awardees is new this year. With that said, does anyone know a little more detail concerning this timeline? Saying notification will go out in the month of April is a little vague, no? I'd assume the time until Round 2 notifications get sent are at least 2 weeks from now, the period in which Round 1 awardees have to accept the offer.

-SM

Wes

Re: Round 2

Post by Wes »

se00an wrote:Hello,

Apparently this "Round 2" of appointing people as awardees is new this year. With that said, does anyone know a little more detail concerning this timeline? Saying notification will go out in the month of April is a little vague, no? I'd assume the time until Round 2 notifications get sent are at least 2 weeks from now, the period in which Round 1 awardees have to accept the offer.

-SM
I still have yet to hear regarding the first round, as I never received an email of any type on Friday. Apparently, I'm not the only one in this predicament. Part of me wants to email SMART; the other part figures I'll get an email today or tomorrow. We'll see I guess.

flordearcoiris

Post by flordearcoiris »

I expect we round-2ers will get an email within the next two weeks. Perhaps there will be more biosciences this time. Maybe round 1 was used to fill all their engineering/computer science majors, and round 2 will get whats left for the biosciences (least in demand, aparently).

Wes, if I were you, I would just email them. There might be a glitch in the system or something like that that maybe theyr'e not aware of. Perhaps you won and need to get back to them with your response soon.

Wes

Post by Wes »

flordearcoiris wrote:I expect we round-2ers will get an email within the next two weeks. Perhaps there will be more biosciences this time. Maybe round 1 was used to fill all their engineering/computer science majors, and round 2 will get whats left for the biosciences (least in demand, aparently).

Wes, if I were you, I would just email them. There might be a glitch in the system or something like that that maybe theyr'e not aware of. Perhaps you won and need to get back to them with your response soon.
Yep. I tried logging in on the award site and had no luck. I emailed them about an hour ago and I'll post whatever it is they have to say.

Wes

Post by Wes »

Got a response.

"Dear Wes *******,

This message is to inform you that you were not chosen as one of the 230 Round 1 Finalists for this year's award competition. Please note, a second round of up to 70 additional awards may be issued this month.
Your application may be reconsidered for award at that time. ASEE will keep you apprised of your status as new information becomes available.
We appreciate your interest in the SMART Scholarship Program.

Thank you,

The ASEE SMART Scholarship Program Team"

Perhaps I would have been better off if I hadn't emailed them.

Just kidding. :)

Post by Guest »

I emailed SMART to see if they have a time frame for when Round 2 award notifications may be sent.
Here is the response I received:

Thank you for your inquiry. We are still awaiting instruction from the Department of Defense in regards to additional awards being made. At this time, we are unaware of a time frame when more awards may be made.

Thank you for your patience.

The ASEE SMART Program Team

Round 2

Post by Guest »

What's going to happen is they are waiting to see who requests a change, declines the award, etc.

So end of this week they receive the paperwork. Give them say another week beyond that too approve changes. Then they re-assess their budget situation and give additional awards with any leftover money.

I'd say two weeks past this Friday.

flordearcoiris

Post by flordearcoiris »

I think your'e right; it's gonna be a little while. I won't hold my breath for it, although winning would be a pleasant surprise. I don't expect anything, and I try not to think about it; just making other plans.

tdavis14

Post by tdavis14 »

Has anyone got a round two email today?

Jim M

Post by Jim M »

Asked SMART:

Will a final e-mail go out to all confirming the end of the second round regardless of whether the applicant is slected?

They answered:

We are still waiting notification from the Department of Defense in regards to another round of awards going out. We will keep semi-finalists updates as we are able.

The ASEE SMART Program Team
c/o American Society for Engineering Education
1818 N St. NW
Suite 600
Washington, DC 20036
Email: smart@asee.org

Post by Guest »

Wanted to inform you all my Award Adjustment was approved.

That means they have absolutely begun the "budget re-assesment" process and are now re-issuing awards through adjustments and probably issuing Round 2 awards very shortly.

uest

Post by uest »

What is an award adjustment?

Post by Guest »

A request for a change in award. In my case an increase of one year and a change of university.

None

Post by None »

Has anyone followed up with SMART to see if they actually will be sending out a second round of acceptances?

Post by Guest »

None wrote:Has anyone followed up with SMART to see if they actually will be sending out a second round of acceptances?
I just received a second round award for the New England District of the Army Corps of Engineers

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
None wrote:Has anyone followed up with SMART to see if they actually will be sending out a second round of acceptances?
I just received a second round award for the New England District of the Army Corps of Engineers

Does that mean if one didn't get it today, they're done?

Post by Guest »

Not necessarily. They will tell you if you're done.

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:Not necessarily. They will tell you if you're done.
Thanks and Congrats! What is your background (major, education level, etc.), if you don't mind sharing?

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
Thanks and Congrats! What is your background (major, education level, etc.), if you don't mind sharing?
Oh, also, did you ever get an interview?

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
Guest wrote:
Oh, also, did you ever get an interview?

Scholarship was for a BS in Civil Engineering. I am a sophomore and requested 3 years. My GPA is a 4.0 and yes I did get an interview with the SF that selected me.

tdavis14

Post by tdavis14 »

I got a 2nd round to the ARmy Corp of Engineers too for New Orleans district. You going to the orientation in July?

Post by Guest »

Yes, it's not optional

Post by Guest »

tdavis14 wrote:I got a 2nd round to the ARmy Corp of Engineers too for New Orleans district. You going to the orientation in July?
When did you receive your notification? Did you ever get an interview?

Post by guest »

I never received a final rejection email. Did anyone receive anything after the first round announcements that they were finally done with round 2 and that you were rejected for 2011.

Jim M

Post by Jim M »

No new letters... I even e-mailed to ask and they said when they know they will tell evryone. I have officially written it off and am thinking about next years app.