Been Contacted?

Answers to various questions regarding the SMART Scholarship application process. Includes many tips and statistics.
RPI CSE

Re: Been Contacted?

Post by RPI CSE »

I really hope we get notified today. I am on the East coast so I am giving them until 8 PM, because that is end of working day West coast time. 4 and a half hours of terror, possibly followed by a lull of terror, then another day of terrible anticipation.

I have never checked my phone this much and been so angry at other emails.

Good luck all.

jramcam

Post by jramcam »

The honest truth is that we do not know, the events calendar says it is today, the application timeline says it is tomorrow, and most e-mail replies from ASEE mention anywhere from the last week of March to the first week of April, so just relax, try not to think about it and wait until the e-mail gets to your inbox.

Post by Guest »

I feel like there has to be a reason why they moved the date from March 30th to March 31st, only to then move it back within an hour... I'm with you, hoping to find out by 8pm!

Post by Guest »

^ditto

Post by Guest »

EagerToHear wrote:I was told from my POC that it should hopefully be tomorrow or Friday but they are waiting still due to the budget cuts of government employees.
Explains it all.

Post by guest »

I still haven't heard anything. Very anxious. I'm an aerospace engineering major and a freshman, so I know I'm not a likely candidate. However, if I don't get it, I have to switch schools because I can't afford Embry-Riddle! How many other freshman are semi-finalists?

Post by Guest »

It doesn't make much sense to me that they would be waiting due to budgetary issues considering SMART is already funded thru this year.

xkcd13

Post by xkcd13 »

Perhaps they are waiting to make sure that no one will be assigned to as facility that is going to be cut.

Jim M

Post by Jim M »

Jramcam is right... it could go to next week.

It is 4pm east coast and I think if the e-mails were going out today they would already be out. Maybe tomorrow... maybe Friday...

I still think there is two guys in DC switching the website back and forth watching our posts and having a good lauph!

Post by Guest »

@xkcd13 I don't think the budget issues are going to be resolved with base closures, that'd be handled under the next BRAC.. The worst case scenario is that certain SFs will lose funding for certain projects, which shouldn't effect ASEE's decision because they are already funded.

Jim M

Post by Jim M »

It is affected if you were selected to work on a project that will not exist now. They have to put you to work after graduation or risk forfeiting your service period. The main goal is to bring more scientists into the government.

calmlyAnxious

Post by calmlyAnxious »

Last year the notification process was long and drawn out. The notification was not a mass email, each email was specific to the individual do to the documents/SF involved. It was alphabetical and started early in the day and finished later that night if not the next day, can't quite remember. I remember people on the forums trying to gauge what letter SMART was on by the random "I got accepted" posts by the few who followed the forums. It took a few hours to figure out that it was an alphabetical process which was disappointing to some at that point while building anticipation for others. Notification of not being selected came a few days or so after that, once again can't quite remember but you knew for sometime by the time they notified you. I hope this helps, try not to break the f5 button on your browser.

calmlyAnxious

Post by calmlyAnxious »

In summary, I would be very shocked if notifications started going out tonight. I'm sure it's mostly preliminary notification logistics that are causing the delay.

firefighterjrp

Post by firefighterjrp »

The SMART offices are located in DC, so my guess is that if we were going to get notified today it would have been before 5:00 eastern time. Or am I wrong?

Post by Guest »

I agree... the wait continues.

xkcd13

Post by xkcd13 »

btw, we set a new record...

"Most users ever online was 35 on Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:02 pm"

jramcam

Post by jramcam »

I think the record is gonna get broken again tomorrow and maybe again on Friday if that's the day the notifications are sent.

Post by Guest »

So decisions will probably come out tomorrow? In alphabetical order? Anyone have a last name that starts with A or B?

Post by Guest »

I would hope they come out tomorrow. I have a last name of B but will be at work all day without the ability to check my email that often. If I get the chance I will and post if I hear anything.

jja

Post by jja »

I have a last name with A so i'll post if I receive something tomorrow ... best of luck to everyone

Chris Moulder

Post by Chris Moulder »

xkcd13 wrote:btw, we set a new record...

lol guys, don't you have homework or something to do

Post by Guest »

Good luck everyone! Hopefully tomorrow is the day...

rattlehead

Post by rattlehead »

Chris Moulder wrote:
xkcd13 wrote:btw, we set a new record...

lol guys, don't you have homework or something to do
I do, but I have transferitis ahahaha

Post by Guest »

guest wrote:I still haven't heard anything. Very anxious. I'm an aerospace engineering major and a freshman, so I know I'm not a likely candidate. However, if I don't get it, I have to switch schools because I can't afford Embry-Riddle! How many other freshman are semi-finalists?
I'm an aerospace engineering major also at Embry-Riddle, but a junior. Best of luck to you, but just in case you don't get it, you should take full advantage of the EagleHire network for internships and Co-Ops. It may be too late to get a slot, but I think Gulfstream is interviewing on campus soon...

Post by guest »

I think we ought to start a new thread when people start posting their good news.
I've already moved to biting my toenails, fingernails are all gone...
good luck!