Been Contacted?

Answers to various questions regarding the SMART Scholarship application process. Includes many tips and statistics.

Re: Been Contacted?

Post by Guest »

Contacted on Saturday by Robins AFB in GA for interview this week. Praying it goes well. Good luck to everyone.

SmartApplicant10

Post by SmartApplicant10 »

I noticed some people have stated that applicants have received the award without any interviews? I wonder why some bases would recommend someone without even talking to them first?

Good luck to everyone!!

firefighterjrp

Post by firefighterjrp »

This is my first post on the site, but I have been reading posts for a couple months now since I applied to SMART. I'm a ME major from NC and like everyone else, I've started to sweat a little about not getting contacted by any facilities as of yet. I thought it would be helpful to post the facilities that I have not heard from yet, to see if anyone has been contacted by them or ease someone else's mind that also applied and has not been contacted. The three I applied for and have not gotten any word from are:
1) Cherry Point, NC
2) Charleston, SC
3) Norfolk, VA

Please let me know if anyone has received a call from any of these facilities.

Ian C

Post by Ian C »

Hey guys, first time poster. I'm a Semi-Finalist and I emailed SPO with a few questions, and I thought they would be helpful to everyone.

1) Does every facility interview candidates before making their recommendations to the SPO?
"Sponsoring Facilities do not contact us with information about phone interviews and contacts; however, interviews typically are held until the middle of March. It is our understanding that not all facilities will contact applicants, even if they are recommending them for a scholarship."

2) Are the 3 facilities I specified the only ones who will receive my application? Will my application be sent to other facilities if some of my preferred facilities choose not to take awardees?
"All facilities have access to your application so facilities may take interest in sponsoring you, even if you did not list them on your application."

3) Related to question 2, is there any meaning to preferring a location at #1 over #2?
They did not answer this question

4) Will I be notified on/near March 15 if I was not recommended to SPO for award, or will I just have to assume I was not if I never get an interview from SPO?
"All semi-finalists will receive notification at the end of March if they have been selected as an awardee. The SMART Program has not notified us as to whether next-level notifications will go out before then or not."

Hope that helps. Out of curiosity, has anyone heard from any of the following facilities (my preferences):
Kirtland AFB, New Mexico
DMEA, McLellan, CA
Hanscom AFB, Massachusetts

I am in a BSEE program.

SmartApplicant10

Post by SmartApplicant10 »

@Ian C

Thank you so much for posting that information!

Mike Birkhead

Post by Mike Birkhead »

I'm optimistic, but not without contingencies. Does anyone know of other awesome scholarship opportunities for Bioscience? I'm not going to apply for anything until about 1 April. But if I don't hear something by then, I need to have an immediate plan of action... a contingency of sorts. Call it COA 2.

Anyone think of any good COA 2's?

I still have a 20% chance, but right now, it looks like EE majors may actually have about a 50 - 60 % chance while the rest of us are sitting here wondering.

Look forward to seeing what y'all say.

xkcd13

Post by xkcd13 »

Hey Ian, I selected Hanscom, Mass as my first choice, but I have not heard from them.

Post by guest »

Requested 3 years funding for BS in Mech. Eng. with 3.8 GPA. My 3 choices:

1. Norfolk, VA
2. Wright Patterson, OH (Propulsion Directorate)
3. Wright Patterson, OH (Air Vehicle Directorate)

Have not been contacted.......

Good Luck to all.

mcg13

Post by mcg13 »

Requested 2 years of funding for BS Engineering Science (mechanical/biomedical), 3.7 GPA.

1. USAMMDA - Fort Detrick
2. AFRL 711 HPW - Wright-Patterson AFB
3. CHPPM - Aberdeen Proving Ground

I haven't been contacted

Post by Guest »

Ian and xkcd13, I too have not heard from Handscom. Maybe there is hope that they haven't done interviews yet.

Has anyone heard from Natick, Ma?

Jim M

Post by Jim M »

Mike,

Check our NASA's Scholarship... not sure what you situation is with family. It is much smaller in comparison to this scholarship.

I ahve not been able to find anything along the lines of the SMART opportunity.

Post by guest »

Also a ME undergrad requesting 2 yrs of funding to complete degree after cc transfer; 4.0 gpa and technical experience in mechanical work for 6 years including full time while attending school.
Choices are:
1. Wright Patterson-Propulsion
2. Edwards AFB Flight Test
3. Tank/Auto Research Warren, MI
I think I should have selected Arnold Engineering center over Edwards as I suspect they have more openings.
No word yet from any facility.

Mark T

Post by Mark T »

I am a ME grad student with solid credentials looking for 6 months of funding.
This would be in response to the two "guests" just above me...

AMRDEC in Huntsville AL, TARDEC in Warren MI, and NSRDEC in Natick MA are on my list, no word yet.

Guest OP

Post by Guest OP »

Anyone (chem or biosciences) heard from USAMRICD or USAMRIID in maryland? I also applied to ARDEC in picatinny arsenal (NJ) but did it moreso because of location... my field of study (biochem/regular chem) doesnt match up as well with them as it does the first two, so I'm not really expecting to hear from them.

Corsair

Post by Corsair »

How about any of the Naval Surface Warfare facilities--particularly in Virginia, such as Dahlgren?

microgirl

Post by microgirl »

Guest OP wrote:Anyone (chem or biosciences) heard from USAMRICD or USAMRIID in maryland? I also applied to ARDEC in picatinny arsenal (NJ) but did it moreso because of location... my field of study (biochem/regular chem) doesnt match up as well with them as it does the first two, so I'm not really expecting to hear from them.
I also picked USAMRIID as one of my choices but haven't heard anything (Microbiology, PhD).

flordearcoiris

Post by flordearcoiris »

I am in biology/microbiology and also applied to USAMRIID. I haven't heard from them yet or any other place. I await anxiously... Maybe they aren't doing interviews; hopefully the good news will come in anyway on the 1st.

good luck everyone!
:)

jramcam

Post by jramcam »

Thanks to Ian for that post! About question 4, I really hope they do send a notification for the next cut on March 15th (Recommended Candidate List). The good news is that we will know something by the end of the month, so close yet so far...

Ian C

Post by Ian C »

@xkcd13 and Guest

I got an email today to set up a phone interview with Hanscom! Oddly though, they are changing facilities. Here is the email i received:

"I'm writing to you about your application for a SMART scholarship. I
serve as the U.S. Air Force Electronic Systems Center (ESC) SMART
program coordinator.

According to your application, you selected Hanscom AFB as one of your
top choices. Unfortunately, the AFRL unit here at Hanscom is moving to
Ohio and New Mexico. However, if you are interested in learning about
the character of the electrical engineering work we do at ESC, send me
an email with your phone number (*** *** ****)and good times to call."

He also mentioned he has to talk to me by this Friday at noon.

Good luck to you guys!

xkcd13

Post by xkcd13 »

Ian,

I received the same email from Hanscom ESC yesterday! I responded earlier today and then received a call shortly after that. He said that his recommendations have to be in by Friday. He just explained what they do at there and asked if I was interested.

Ian C

Post by Ian C »

xkcd,

So I take it that it was a pretty relaxed interview? Doesn't even sound like an "interview," more of a "are you interested in us?"...is that correct?

He is calling me tomorrow around noon.

Thanks

effenfish

Post by effenfish »

corsair,

my daughter was contacted by dahlgren for smart, and my son will be working there this summer under NREIP. both are compsci majors. dahlgren seems to have a good recruitment and retention strategy, so if you get in and they like you, they will try to keep you.

Corsair

Post by Corsair »

effenfish wrote:corsair,

my daughter was contacted by dahlgren for smart, and my son will be working there this summer under NREIP. both are compsci majors. dahlgren seems to have a good recruitment and retention strategy, so if you get in and they like you, they will try to keep you.

Thank you for the information. I sure do hope to get into Dahlgren, and if so I plan on making a career out of it. My father has served in the military for almost 25 years. I would love to serve those who serve us!

Ian C

Post by Ian C »

Just finished my phone interview and I was told that I will be nominated for an award from Hanscom AFB...This is a great day!

Jim M

Post by Jim M »

What is your major?