Been Contacted?

Answers to various questions regarding the SMART Scholarship application process. Includes many tips and statistics.
rattlehead

Re: Been Contacted?

Post by rattlehead »

I'm sure that for the most part, it doesn't matter much.

A relative of mine works at a certain facility, which was not one of my three preferences. To keep a degree of anonymity, I won't say who the relative is or which base he works at. He talked to the guy in charge of that facility's SMART selections, asking if they'll pick CC transfers. He said, "probably not, why should we pick transfers when we can pick students already at a university?"

However, judging by the fact that CC transfers are already being contacted, not all facilities have that mentality.
Last edited by rattlehead on Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RPI CSE

Post by RPI CSE »

I don't want to start a flame war or anything here but I would like to point out a few things.

If you are a CC transfer student who has grades from your university there may not be a huge deal when being compared to a similar student student at you university, however if you are a transfer student who does not have any recorded grades at your university (i.e. accepted but not there or no recorded grades), you may lose some credit there.

Please take this next statement with a grain of salt, but most CC courses are graded far easier than equivalent courses at a University (not always true, but many employers and HR reps I have talked to feel this way), so a 4.0 at a CC isn't necessarily the best representation of who you are and what you can do.

I don't feel like a CC transfer student who has proven themselves at their respective University would be looked down upon, but if you do not have the University credit to show, its a lot harder to prove what you can do when you attend a CC. Its not reflective upon you, its just when you are a big fish in a small pond, it is hard to see how big you are. But if you are a medium fish in a very big pond, it is easier to judge your size.

rattlehead

Post by rattlehead »

RPI CSE wrote:I don't want to start a flame war or anything here but I would like to point out a few things.

If you are a CC transfer student who has grades from your university there may not be a huge deal when being compared to a similar student student at you university, however if you are a transfer student who does not have any recorded grades at your university (i.e. accepted but not there or no recorded grades), you may lose some credit there.

Please take this next statement with a grain of salt, but most CC courses are graded far easier than equivalent courses at a University (not always true, but many employers and HR reps I have talked to feel this way), so a 4.0 at a CC isn't necessarily the best representation of who you are and what you can do.

I don't feel like a CC transfer student who has proven themselves at their respective University would be looked down upon, but if you do not have the University credit to show, its a lot harder to prove what you can do when you attend a CC. Its not reflective upon you, its just when you are a big fish in a small pond, it is hard to see how big you are. But if you are a medium fish in a very big pond, it is easier to judge your size.
Don't worry about a flame war, I think we're a pretty mature bunch around here ;)

What you posted is pretty much true, and while I wish it wasn't this way, it is what it is. From my experience at a CC, most GE courses are a joke, and I got A's in them without lifting a finger. However, others were taught by some fairly sadistic teachers who expected more work than I had to do for my math and physics!

As far as math/physics goes, they were very challenging, but not ridiculously hard. I can't compare them to a university's calculus or physics courses because I haven't taken any at a university. They probably weren't as difficult as calc and physics at major engineering schools, where these "weed-out" courses tend to separate the little boys from the men. On the other hand, they weren't the type of class that I could just coast through.

If I don't get the scholarship because I'm still at a CC, I'll just have to deal with it, do another research internship over summer, and apply for SMART again once I transfer to a university to try to get funding for my last year.

Jim M

Post by Jim M »

How does holding a 4.0 at a CC while working 40+ hours as a project director for a publicly traded company while raising a 3yr old sound?

Does this compare to partying with the frat brothers?

You can't make a blanket statement about a type of school just like you can not make a blanket statement about race or age. This is just purely ignorant and elitist. There are people attending both types of schools right now scating by. It is what you put in it that governs what you take away from it.

Just saying!

Post by Guest »

Jim M wrote:How does holding a 4.0 at a CC while working 40+ hours as a project director for a publicly traded company while raising a 3yr old sound?

You can't make a blanket statement about a type of school just like you can not make a blanket statement about race or age. This is just purely ignorant and elitist. There are people attending both types of schools right now scating by. It is what you put in it that governs what you take away from it.

Just saying!

you can't take it so literally. what everyone has been saying in general is true. there are also people doing everything that you are doing at a university and its just the way that things are perceived. no it may not be right and no not many people agree with how things are but its perceptions that govern how our every day lives are carried out.

"It is what you put in it that governs what you take away from it." - that statement is exactly true but it is hard for facilities to decide that when they are simply looking applications that all blend together. they will act on their perceptions and unfortunately that might hurt certain people and help others. every facility will pick people in their own way and there is no way to determine what your chances are at this point.

I give you credit for the amount of responsibility you have and hope that it pays off for you.

UF_ME

Post by UF_ME »

Man things are starting to get heated on this forum...although some HR managers may look at CC time differently I know two individuals who received the SMART scholarship while still at a CC.

Post by Guest »

So, wanted to weigh in on the C.C. issue--

I've been called by two different facilities, I applied at a C.C. level. One didn't seem to care; the other one did. They had me send in my "unofficial" transcripts from University this morning-- the other didn't even ask what my last semesters grades were.
The deal is-- its a craps shoot. I read that one facility was only calling people who were local, others are listed as needing a STEM field and they don't. I am beginning to feel like we are in a giant lottery and it is the luck of the draw.

BTW--The one that cared about my transcripts was San Diego; they told me they were interviewing 12 applicants all together; but he did not know how many "spots" there were. I think there has to at least be two because he mentioned Hawaii and San Diego. He said he had to send in his recommendations tomorrow.(!!!!) ANYWAY, I didn't even apply there. I figured it would be HUGE competition in a scholarship that is competitive enough.

Post by guest »

As a fellow cc student with a 4.0 while working full time i agree entirely with Jim. The commitment, time management and skill under pressure says something entirely different about a person's character. That's one of the main advantages of a community college, allowing a working professional with a family to seek an affordable education while dealing with the responsibilities of an adult life. I'm just grateful I don't have kids, what he's done is a real feat to accomplish.

Jim M

Post by Jim M »

I understand what you mena by it is the perception. I just do not agree with it. I go to a CC based on location. I could not travel to the University and hold my current position. If I do not get this scholarship I may not even be able to continue going to school as I am done with my AA after this semster and everything else will be in the university I plan to go to.

I still have hope but I am also keeping my expectations low. On a happy note I am a team lead for a group selected to participate on the NASA reduced gravity flight program! I guss CC students can compete with the big universities.

Good luck to all... and if my math and thought process is right we have seen about 8 people post they were contacted so I figure it translates to about 615 interviewas (based on 1.3% of individuals actaully posting)

RPI CSE

Post by RPI CSE »

Jim M wrote:How does holding a 4.0 at a CC while working 40+ hours as a project director for a publicly traded company while raising a 3yr old sound?

Just saying!
Hi Jim,

I'm not entirely sure if I am reading your post with the exact tone you meant it to have but I feel like I am.

Please note in my previous post that I said "when being compared to a similar student student at you university". It was that statement that I feel really should be looked at. You obviously have a lot going on and I am sure that is the majority of what the people judging for the SMART Scholarship will judge you on. If there was a person in your same situation holding a 4.0 at a University, would you give them the exact same credit as yourself?

I realize You have made another post since I have started typing this (went to class before I finished) so I will try and take that into account as well.

You say you don't agree with the perception, but the perception is that an equivalent person at a University and a CC are looked at differently, not that a University student is superior to a CC student hands down. That is a narrow minded point of view that I feel very few people have. I was not attempting to give any impression of the later in my previous post, only the former.

I do feel that your job is quite a bit more impressive than partying with frat brother would be. I highly doubt that is what anyone would put on a resume though (partying, not the job. just to be clear). Working with NASA, also highly impressive.

I feel as though you were attacking me for the fact I go to a University, or maybe it was just defensive behavior from a perceived attack, regardless I was only trying to point out a few things, not to judge any particular individuals. Please take the time to understand a point next time, and not to assume that a general statement is an attack on you.

I hope I clarified myself, I was not talking down, not being elitist, I was only trying to show a general point. The fact that you are living an adult life with a child, a job, and getting an education is impressive and admirable, I don't feel like my previous post (if read in the way intended) should have been offensive, if it was however I do apologize as that is not how it was intended to be read.

I wish the best of luck to everyone, and I hope it is the merit and ability of the candidates that leads them to get the scholarship.

M Birkhead

Post by M Birkhead »

Guest wrote: He said he had to send in his recommendations tomorrow.(!!!!)
That's not good news for those who haven't been contacted yet! Well, we will see what the plan of the Sovereign Lord is!

Hoping that sometime today (tonight for me this side of the globe) I get an email requesting a phone interview. I'm ready for it; just don't know if I'll get the opportunity to use what I've prepared for. :(

RPI CSE

Post by RPI CSE »

M Birkhead wrote:
Guest wrote: He said he had to send in his recommendations tomorrow.(!!!!)
That's not good news for those who haven't been contacted yet! Well, we will see what the plan of the Sovereign Lord is!

Hoping that sometime today (tonight for me this side of the globe) I get an email requesting a phone interview. I'm ready for it; just don't know if I'll get the opportunity to use what I've prepared for. :(
I wouldn't worry too much, there are quite a few people who have gotten the scholarship and were not contacted by their facility before the offer.

I have not been contacted either but I still have hope!

We will see what happens in a few weeks, or possibly even up to the week before orientation.

Question, do they send out any "Sorry, but you have not been chosen" emails for this round?

Good luck all!

microgirl

Post by microgirl »

I notice that there are a lot of engineers on this forum, but I was wondering if anyone in microbiology has heard back from any of the facilities they listed?

Mike Birkhead

Post by Mike Birkhead »

microgirl wrote:I notice that there are a lot of engineers on this forum, but I was wondering if anyone in microbiology has heard back from any of the facilities they listed?
Biology major - not contacted yet!
Let's see what happens... If it is a giant lottery (as one guy has stated), then the casting of the lot will be very humbling - if I get chosen, it will not be based on any great thing I've done - just a simple picking and choosing.
On the other hand, if I don't get picked, I will lay all the blame on my packet and I'll try harder next year (perhaps).

Jim M

Post by Jim M »

RPI,

I do apologize if my tone was harsh. I do struggle with getting my true intentions across with written words. I only intended to identify that it is not applicable to say that CC is easier than university. If that is so then we can also ask which university. Does it make a difference between MIT and Georgia Tech. In perception yes but I would give both students the same respect for the same accomplishment regardless. Sometimes (and not to mean in your situation) university only means that the student has money. I have seen that as well in my life. There are very unintelligent people out there who get recognition just because of family stature. If we fight the perception we can end it.

I do enjoy the conversation… I apologize if my response was overly defensive.

Let’s hope my math is wrong and they have not interviewed the 600 finalists yet!

I tried to get in touch with a couple of places and it seemed that the ones I talked to were all pretty close to a decision. (I need to point out I only contacted 4). Not to say that they called everyone they were thinking about.

Mike, Stay safe and keep your mind clear! Focus on your task at hand and get home soon!

Mark T

Post by Mark T »

Question, do they send out any "Sorry, but you have not been chosen" emails for this round?
From reading the forum posts from a year ago, the only "sorry" emails came about halfway through April. The final acceptances were emailed over a two day span in alphabetical order by last name(April 1-2), and the "sorry" emails did not come until the due date the students have to accept/decline. ( I'm assuming so that SMART could send the second wave of acceptances before or at the same time as the "sorry" emails)

Included in that forum thread were posts stating that they were accepted and had no interviews, and additionally, there were those that did not win, yet had interviews.

Jim M

Post by Jim M »

Mark,

I like the positive nature! I agree with Mike B. I still have a 20% all the way untill they tell me no!

Post by Guest »

So I got a call, 7:30 in the morning. Not an actual interview, but a request for an interview. Strange part is that it wasn't a facility I applied to, but they are looking for my STEM field. We set up a future time and held the interview then. The questions focused on leadership and teamwork ability and future plans (within and without the DoD). To be honest I don't feel like I answered to the best of my ability, but maybe the rest of you will do better. Best of luck to all.

Post by Guest »

Do you mind sharing either what STEM field they were looking for or which facility it was?
Preferably both?

dafix

Post by dafix »

On question that has been on my mind...Has anybody been contacted by 2 different facilities? I have been contacted by one not on my list and was wondering if when a facility selects someone to talk to do they remove you from the "pool" of applicants that can be contacted?

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:Do you mind sharing either what STEM field they were looking for or which facility it was?
Preferably both?
EE, Lackland AFB in Texas.
dafix wrote:On question that has been on my mind...Has anybody been contacted by 2 different facilities? I have been contacted by one not on my list and was wondering if when a facility selects someone to talk to do they remove you from the "pool" of applicants that can be contacted?
No, they don't take you out of the pool. My interviewers specifically said that I might be called by other facilities and that I should consider them too (i.e. accept interviews).

Post by Guest »

Just got a call from Warner Robins AFB in GA. They requested an interview and are interviewing on March 11th, 12th, and 14th. I suppose that means steep competition.

dafix

Post by dafix »

Got an answer to my own question in the form of another call to set up a time for an interview at a different base!

Post by guest »

Dafix, you seem to have what facilities are looking for. Would you be willing to give out your major and what you think makes you stand out?

dafix

Post by dafix »

guest wrote:Dafix, you seem to have what facilities are looking for. Would you be willing to give out your major and what you think makes you stand out?
EE major with a heavy mechanical background. As far as what makes me stand out, I'm interested to know too. I hope to learn more after the phone interviews.