Been Contacted?

Answers to various questions regarding the SMART Scholarship application process. Includes many tips and statistics.
xkcd13

Re: Been Contacted?

Post by xkcd13 »

I was told today that I was recommended for review by the SMART Program Office! That is the next real milestone, right? According to the SMART site, approximatively 2/3 of all recommended candidates have been selected. This is the first time I can honestly say that I think I have a shot at being selected!

Post by Guest »

Were you notified by email?

xkcd13

Post by xkcd13 »

No, it was a phone call.

Jim M

Post by Jim M »

I contacted my first choice today and they politely informed me that they where not looking for BSEE majors this year. They did say they had not yet finalized their choices.

Post by guest »

I received notice today that I was accepted into my first choice for graduate school. I still haven’t heard anything from any of the sponsoring facilities about the scholarship. I guess I will be TAing a lot of classes next year to pay for graduate school.

Looking at some of these comments I can see there are things I should have done differently. I should have been more proactive in trying to find out which facilities were looking for my major/interests and tilted my essay in that direction. Oh well. Live and learn.

Jim M

Post by Jim M »

Just the opposite I am concerned that tilting my essay and focusing on a facility may have caused my loss of this scholarship.

dafix

Post by dafix »

Jim M wrote:I contacted my first choice today and they politely informed me that they where not looking for BSEE majors this year. They did say they had not yet finalized their choices.

Which facility was that?

jim M

Post by jim M »

SSC-Pacific San Diego

dafix

Post by dafix »

jim M wrote:SSC-Pacific San Diego
Wow, that's unfortunate. I just checked the SMART Sponsoring Facility list and they've got EE listed as a STEM field. You'd think if they weren't looking for EEs they wouldn't list EE.

Makes we wonder about my choices (EE too)...

Post by guest »

I put them down as my first choice. I haven’t heard anything. Did they say what majors they were looking for?

Post by Guest »

They were my first choice as well (ME here). Haven't heard for any facilities yet, though. Crossing my fingers! Good luck, everyone!

Jim M

Post by Jim M »

The exact phrase he used was BSEE so I am not sure if it was exclusive to the major or the educational level or any combination in between.

I am pretty bummed... Now I am concerned that other facilities will pass me by because I did not select them.

jramcam

Post by jramcam »

Come on guys, don't take yourselves out of the game yet, the recommended candidate list is not coming out until March 15th, we still have little over two weeks of waiting time for the next cut and anything can happen! Besides, from what I read from previous posts, some candidates never got a interview and were selected for the scholarship. Also, a lot of candidates were selected to work in sponsoring facilities that they did not list on their preferences. Try to stay positive and wait for the official announcement from the ASEE SMART Scholarship Team.

Jim M

Post by Jim M »

I am still hopefully... Just bummed about San Diego. The average temperature year round is 74 degrees!

They did say they are still reviewing candidates so that should be pretty positve for non-BSEE applicants looking at that facility.

xkcd13

Post by xkcd13 »

Jramcam is right. Like i said before, the only facility that has contacted me was one I did not apply to.

Mark T

Post by Mark T »

I agree with everything from jramcam, spot on!

jim M

Post by jim M »

Any new interviews?

Post by Guest »

I got contacted yesterday asking for a phone interview. I am a junior EE. I believe it is from a subordinate command of the Army Material Command. Their contact information was Fort Monmouth but I assume they are one of the many relocating to Aberdeen Proving Ground, MD since I requested all places in Maryland.

Post by Guest »

I just received an email today from SSC Pacific requesting an interview tomorrow! (ME undergrad). Any tips on how to prepare? I'm nervous. I've never done a phone interview before and really don't know what to expect.

rattlehead

Post by rattlehead »

Are any of you community college transfers?
I haven't been contacted yet, and I fear the reason is because I am a CC student (although I will be transferring to a university for Fall 2011).

Corsair

Post by Corsair »

I am also a CC student--transferring to a four year for aerospace engineering. I haven't been contacted either, but still keeping my fingers crossed.

dafix

Post by dafix »

I'm a CC transfer. Just got an email requesting a time for phone interview. It wasn't one of my 3 choices but who cares! I'm just happy somebody wants to talk to me!

wilsoneri

Post by wilsoneri »

Just got a phone call from Lackland AFB to set up a phone interview for Friday morning. He said he would email me with the confirmation of the time, but the phone call was the first contact.

Post by guest »

I am also a community college student transferring to a 4 year university for an undergraduate degree in mechanical engineering and have yet to be contacted. I am a returning student and don't see why they would be biased against cc students especially if they are excellent candidates for the program. Our applications should stand on their merits alone without bias. Many cc students have a lot of different things to offer that many university students don't. I wouldn't be concerned, especially if you feel confident in yourself.

Chris Moulder

Post by Chris Moulder »

There have been many CC transfers. I don't think it matters much.