email from SMART program?

Answers to various questions regarding the SMART Scholarship application process. Includes many tips and statistics.

email from SMART program?

Post by Guest »

Has anyone gotten an email or anything from the SMART program?

Re: email from SMART program?

Post by Guest »

Just an email to clarify my GPA.

Post by Guest »

I haven't heard anything since the application closed.

Post by guest »

I haven't heard anything either since the application closed. Is that a bad thing?

Jim M

Post by Jim M »

Nothing yet here either. Anticipation is a killer!

Matthew

Post by Matthew »

If things go according to last year this is the timetable
I expect it do be somewhat similar but they may wait till after Semi-Finalists to do Fall transcripts, SF-87, and Fingerprint cards since I do not believe those 3 to be determining factors for Semi-Finalists.

Dec 24th - Request for Fall Transcripts and filling out a SF-87 Security Questionnaire and Fingerprint Cards
Jan 7th - Reminder for Transcripts, SF-87, and Fingerprint Cards. Each had different due dates.
Feb 17th - Notification of Semi-Finalists
Mar 22nd - Notification of Recommendation from DOD Facility
April 1st - Notification of Awards sent to recipients
April 5th - Notification that you were not a 1st round awardee and it is possible for a 2nd round of awards
April 30th - Notification that you were not selected and encourage you to reapply next year.

Your Odds
Last year applicants - 3,400
Last year Semi-finalists - 1,300
Last year Recommended by facility - estimated to be 600 but I do not know for sure
Last year awards sent - 298

sdgz747

Post by sdgz747 »

Hello All,

I still haven't received an e-mail from SMART either. I attempted to get into the program last year. Matthew's outline above is how the process went last year, but I am wondering if SMART has revamped the process due to the amount of applicants last year. I thought I ran into a link on the SMART web-site about the process for this year just before the application process closed, but I can't find it now. Hopefully we will all hear something soon!

************************************* POST UPDATE *******************************************

Okay, after searching the SMART web-site I was able to find the outline of the process for this year. Here is the link if you are interested in checking it out: https://smart.asee.org/apply_/faq/application_timeline.
Hope this is helpful!

erth2rst

Post by erth2rst »

Fantastic link. Thank you!

Post by Guest »

Still makes me wonder when the SF-87 goes out...

JimM

Post by JimM »

Here we are Jan 10 and no request for fall documents or sf86. I wonder if they decided to do it differently this year. I would love to know how many applicants they received this year.

Post by Guest »

My current guess based on the timeline is that they'll only request more documents once they've ruled out all of the people who aren't qualified based on citizenship, GPA, etc... So perhaps the 15th-ish?

JimM

Post by JimM »

I asked if they will be requesting the SF86's this year and the response is below!

Jim,

At this time, no additional documents are needed. We will notify applicants at the time when they are needed.

Thank you,

The ASEE SMART Program Team
c/o American Society for Engineering Education
1818 N St. NW
Suite 600
Washington, DC 20036
Email: smart@asee.org

Mike Birkhead

Post by Mike Birkhead »

Based on Eight years of military experience, I would say that any timeline presented is really more of a bullseye than a deadline. The leadership mindset usually is, "I hope we hit it, but if we don't then we'll get as close as possible."

I'm as anxious as anyone - keep posting updates as you find out more information!

Jim M

Post by Jim M »

It could be that this year they are only going to do the background checks on those selected. I have to imagine that doing the investigation for everyone although more efficient in the time sensitive environment would cost a lot more that doing it for those that actually receive funding. Besides the more money they have the more people they can award right.

Anticipation...

Post by Guest »

Don't forget that they have to do a partial background checks on all those that apply as part of the initial screening. Those selected as semi-finalists are then fully screened, because to accept the scholarship you have to obtain at least in interim secret.

Matthew

Post by Matthew »

I expect they will send out the semi-finalist notifications on or around Feb 1st seeing as thats when applications will be forwarded to DoD facilities.

JimM

Post by JimM »

Good Lord the anticipation grows into the ball of nerves in the belly and doesn't ever seem to subside...

Has anyone received anything?

Anthony

Post by Anthony »

I have heard nothing. Every day I check on here to see if anyone has heard anything. The wait is horrible!

sdgz747

Post by sdgz747 »

Don't let the wait get the best of you. I made it through the first round last year only to be informed I didn't make the second round cut. I agree, it's very exciting having this opportunity and it would be great to know the answer. Just focus in on your course work and try not to think about this until you hear something. The answer will be here before you know it!

Mike Birkhead

Post by Mike Birkhead »

I wanted to let everyone know I sent in a question about contact information (since I'll be in transit - in Kuwait, Iraq, and US) during that time period.
The reply explained what I needed to know, but it also added this sentence:

"applicants will receive an email in the next couple of weeks stating if their application will move on to the DoD Needs Assessment Evaluation Level"

I received this about 4 days ago. So, I figure we'll see something soon!

dafix

Post by dafix »

So it sounds like we're at d) on the Application Review Process list below

http://thesmartforum.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=13

JimM

Post by JimM »

I would say between c and d, I did ask the same question and got a very similiar answer. It would be an honor just to know I made it to the semi finals round. Of course I wishh to be selcted but I am just saying I will be pretty stoked to know I was in atleast the top 50% in what I would consider a top 10% grouping. 2 Months away from final awards!

Post by guest »

This link shows Feb 1st for the "2011 Ranked Application List Distributed":

http://smart.asee.org/about/events

sdgz747

Post by sdgz747 »

guest wrote:This link shows Feb 1st for the "2011 Ranked Application List Distributed":

http://smart.asee.org/about/events
Thanks for the link! Very good information.

Anthony

Post by Anthony »

Awesome link! Thank you.