Awards

Answers to various questions regarding the SMART Scholarship application process. Includes many tips and statistics.
Physics

Re: Awards

Post by Physics »

if no interview, does it mean no chance to get award at all?

am i checked the application status page? it looked the same with my SAT and reference information.

Hello Goodbye

Post by Hello Goodbye »

Out of the people that saw the award, did you guys all get a call from the SMART office prior. I was initially interviewed through a facility but I have not received a call from the office. You guys are making me nervous lol :/

madison

Post by madison »

Hello Goodbye wrote:Out of the people that saw the award, did you guys all get a call from the SMART office prior. I was initially interviewed through a facility but I have not received a call from the office. You guys are making me nervous lol :/
I did not get a call from the start office prior, that had me nervous too but I got an award!! So you didn’t have to get a call from them to get an award!

Hello Goodbye

Post by Hello Goodbye »

madison wrote:I did not get a call from the start office prior, that had me nervous too but I got an award!! So you didn’t have to get a call from them to get an award!
Thank you! I still don't see any award in my portal but this alleviates some anxiety for me. Best of luck!

rerathar

Post by rerathar »

To clarify, people who found out they received the award no longer have access to the portal, correct?

Dedly

Post by Dedly »

Did anyone who received an award not get an interview at all?

catdog

Post by catdog »

Yes, we no longer have access to the portal.

Everything is dated April 5, 2019, so it will likely not be available until then.

BB0728

Post by BB0728 »

This is for everyone freaking out that hasn't read or is confused.
Awards were mistakenly put up on the website yesterday before 2pm Central Time, those that logged on at that time were able to see their awards but all the files were dated the 5th. Those that didn't log on at that time are not able to see their awards as that page is now hidden till April 5th when they are released, most likely with an email regarding your award. On the topic of Awards, you don't need to be interviewed to get an award and SMART themselves did not do interviews, as far as I can tell, the location that will hire you was the one that did or didn't do interviews. I hope this helps alleviates everyone's worries and I wish everyone Good Luck on getting an award tomorrow!

nervous

Post by nervous »

I didn't see an award yesterday when I logged in, so I'm assuming I didn't get one first round. However, I know they do second round awards to fill the spots when people don't accept and am now holding out hope for that. I read a post on this forum from last year that said that the previous year (2017), nearly 150 of the award spots were filled with applicants notified in the second round. This seems like an awful lot considering 343 were awarded total. I was wondering if anyone could confirm this or had any further information.

Thanks, and congratulations to everyone who has already gotten it!!

question_person

Post by question_person »

How many semifinalists are there?

nervous

Post by nervous »

question_person wrote:How many semifinalists are there?

It changes every year based on funding and how many they want to award. 2016 they awarded 239, 2017 they awarded 343, and 2018 they awarded 382.

Rerathar

Post by Rerathar »

question_person wrote:How many semifinalists are there?
1/2 of total applications were promoted to semifinalist - based off last year’s submitted apps that would be 1700 people

gotwhey22

Post by gotwhey22 »

I am a semifinalist but never received any emails or calls about interviews. Do I still have a chance receiving an award? Has anyone received an award this way in the past?

Guest2356

Post by Guest2356 »

I logged in yesterday and received an award. This was without an interview or any communication with any SF.

nmserio

Post by nmserio »

Reading the first few posts of this thread gave me a heart attack because I didn't see the same notifications you guys were talking about, but then I read on and realized that SMART removed the notifications. I still have hope but now I'm even more nervous, thanks everyone, haha.

nmserio

Post by nmserio »

nmserio wrote:Reading the first few posts of this thread gave me a heart attack because I didn't see the same notifications you guys were talking about, but then I read on and realized that SMART removed the notifications. I still have hope but now I'm even more nervous, thanks everyone, haha.
What's even crazier is that I visited the website on April 3rd, but I didn't log in, I just checked the stats for previous years for about the millionth time.

asdfasdf

Post by asdfasdf »

nervous wrote:I didn't see an award yesterday when I logged in, so I'm assuming I didn't get one first round. However, I know they do second round awards to fill the spots when people don't accept and am now holding out hope for that. I read a post on this forum from last year that said that the previous year (2017), nearly 150 of the award spots were filled with applicants notified in the second round. This seems like an awful lot considering 343 were awarded total. I was wondering if anyone could confirm this or had any further information.

That seems really surprising but hopefully is true considering I didn't see an award on the SMART website yesterday morning. Anyone know roughly when that 2nd round would be?

rerathar

Post by rerathar »

nmserio wrote:
nmserio wrote:Reading the first few posts of this thread gave me a heart attack because I didn't see the same notifications you guys were talking about, but then I read on and realized that SMART removed the notifications. I still have hope but now I'm even more nervous, thanks everyone, haha.
What's even crazier is that I visited the website on April 3rd, but I didn't log in, I just checked the stats for previous years for about the millionth time.
I did the same thing! I was looking at the application process to look at rough announcement dates... can't help but wonder if I should have logged on since it could go either way.

nmserio

Post by nmserio »

rerathar wrote:
nmserio wrote:
I did the same thing! I was looking at the application process to look at rough announcement dates... can't help but wonder if I should have logged on since it could go either way.
It's also my birthday today, so the email I get tomorrow will either be a belated b-day gift or a bummer way to start being a 20 year old haha. Good luck to everyone who still have to find out.

nervous

Post by nervous »

asdfasdf wrote:
nervous wrote:I didn't see an award yesterday when I logged in, so I'm assuming I didn't get one first round. However, I know they do second round awards to fill the spots when people don't accept and am now holding out hope for that. I read a post on this forum from last year that said that the previous year (2017), nearly 150 of the award spots were filled with applicants notified in the second round. This seems like an awful lot considering 343 were awarded total. I was wondering if anyone could confirm this or had any further information.

That seems really surprising but hopefully is true considering I didn't see an award on the SMART website yesterday morning. Anyone know roughly when that 2nd round would be?
I think in the past people have been given two weeks to notify SMART if they will accept the award or not.

physics

Post by physics »

anyone check? it is 4/5 now at east coast.

rerathar

Post by rerathar »

physics wrote:anyone check? it is 4/5 now at east coast.
I'm assuming things won't go out for another couple hours.

AnotherGuest

Post by AnotherGuest »

rerathar wrote:
physics wrote:anyone check? it is 4/5 now at east coast.
I'm assuming things won't go out for another couple hours.
I got an award e-mail from SMART at 10AM EST today.

rerathar

Post by rerathar »

I just received my award email

Degree type: BS (5 year program)
Year: 2yr
Duration: 3yr
Major: Computer Science
Field: Computer Science/Cybersecurity
Facility: USACC
One of original preference selections? YES!
Facility in the same geographic region as original preferences? YES!

Post by Guest »

I haven't gotten an email yet, but its showing the award notification again when I log into the portal