Summer 2019 Outside Internship

Answers to various questions regarding the SMART Scholarship application process. Includes many tips and statistics.
curiousgirl

Summer 2019 Outside Internship

Post by curiousgirl »

If I become a SMART scholar, can I have an outside internship for the summer of 2019? I know we have to keep our summer of 2020 free for an internship at our SF, but how about this summer...?

simonk21

Re: Summer 2019 Outside Internship

Post by simonk21 »

I believe you can as long as it doesn't conflict with the orientation day.

Guest1111

Post by Guest1111 »

From what I have read, there are no real requirements for this summer. Your only responsibilities are your summer internships between the semesters which you receive funding. I did read that some SFs require/recommend a visit to get to know the place, but I think orientation is online? Someone correct me if I am wrong.

cmjansse

Post by cmjansse »

You can have an internship this summer as long as you can still attend your site visit and it is over by August 1st. If it continues past August 1st, there's additional paperwork and restrictions. I was awarded a scholarship last year and had an outside internship during June and July without any issues. I'd still check your handbook to make sure the rules haven't changed though.

2018 Rec

Post by 2018 Rec »

To clarify from the person above, I had an outside internship until mid August and had no issues.

scheffc

Post by scheffc »

If you accepted the award this summer, you may not even have your clearance processed by next summer. I ended up teaching at my university the summer directly before joining SMART and the first summer after joining the SMART program (cohort 2017, first internship 2019).

JDetwiler

Post by JDetwiler »

I did this (see my signature about timeline stuffs). In May 2017, I was on a co-op while I received the award on May 9, 2017 (I think). I had to move out of my dorm on May 12, and I started a summer internship May 15.

On the Education Work Plan form, I had to report co-ops and internships to SMART (which was then under ASEE and not LMI), where I reported both. It confused them, but they allowed it. I simply had to leave my internship for SMART the next summer.
I'm a Phase 2 recipient, B.S. in Computer Science, B.S. in Math from Virginia Tech Dec. 2019. I've been with SMART since Spring 2017; Dahlgren is my SF.

Don't walk, run away from SMART (see my first post on this forum).