CHECK SMARTS WEBSITE! Login!

Answers to various questions regarding the SMART Scholarship application process. Includes many tips and statistics.
TummyGunk

Re: CHECK SMARTS WEBSITE! Login!

Post by TummyGunk »

Guestesses wrote:
UMN2019 wrote:
Guest wrote:Those who can log in and see their application, but no status updates:
Is Registration Fields a category in the sidebar? I don't remember this being an aspect of the application, but when I select it, it redirects to "Application Overview" within my application.
Thanks!

I can see the 'Registration Field' link, but when I click on it it brings me back to the overview and says 'This section is not available.'

When I try to log in at /award, I get the 'Email/Password incorrect' error.
I also have the "Registration Fields" section on my application. I am still getting the "your email address or password is incorrect" and this is the same message I got during the loophole. Like I said before, I was also able to reset my password.

I have that too, and I believe that it has always been there.
Yes, the registration field has been there before. SMART has us exerting too much energy on noticing every minute detail to try to figure out if we have been awarded. However, we won't know for sure until Friday.

UMN2019

Post by UMN2019 »

Yep I realized that the "Registration Field" tab is your personal information that cannot be changed after submitting the application. Once again, the not knowing has driven us certifiably insane and we can now only hope to be relieved of that insanity once SMART emails us on Friday.

Post by Guest »

UMN2019 wrote:Yep I realized that the "Registration Field" tab is your personal information that cannot be changed after submitting the application. Once again, the not knowing has driven us certifiably insane and we can now only hope to be relieved of that insanity once SMART emails us on Friday.
After reading the 2012 applicants thread, I really hope that they don't end up notifying us later than Friday.

udontnojakki

Post by udontnojakki »

Given all this speculation and waiting, I'm kind of terrified for Friday. :cry:

Post by Guest »

udontnojakki wrote:Given all this speculation and waiting, I'm kind of terrified for Friday. :cry:
I've been convincing myself that I'm way too under qualified for this, so come Friday I'll either be really happy or not surprised at all.

guest5534

Post by guest5534 »

Guest wrote:
udontnojakki wrote:Given all this speculation and waiting, I'm kind of terrified for Friday. :cry:
I've been convincing myself that I'm way too under qualified for this, so come Friday I'll either be really happy or not surprised at all.
That is exactly what I am thinking.

UMN2019

Post by UMN2019 »

guest5534 wrote:
Guest wrote:
That is exactly what I am thinking.
It appears that they do not take many Chemical Engineering students and I am fearful that I was also way under qualified compared to other people who may have applied... *Sigh*

Post by Guest »

Let us then state our qualifications just to see where we stand. I just finish my 1st year of PhD on chemical physics. I went from BS in physics to PhD in chemical physics directly. My GPA for the BS was 3.71 (General) 3.82 (Concentration). I have been doing research in material science for about 5 years now and I have vast experience in the synthesis of materials through various techniques and also I can use characterization equipment and analyze the data from them. I have been involved in many applications related projects and I have one on my own about to publish in an journal (my first paper, as principal) and I have another project which I am working on to see it through and get it publish as well. I have been a NASA & NSF fellow for different scholarships and I have never been without a fellowship since second semester first year of my BS. Also I have presented many Posters and Orals in international and local conferences (a little over 9 or 10). If you are just starting your BS don't worry!! this would be a more fair comparison to those entering grad school or in grad school already. Maybe BS seniors also.

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:Let us then state our qualifications just to see where we stand. I just finish my 1st year of PhD on chemical physics. I went from BS in physics to PhD in chemical physics directly. My GPA for the BS was 3.71 (General) 3.82 (Concentration). I have been doing research in material science for about 5 years now and I have vast experience in the synthesis of materials through various techniques and also I can use characterization equipment and analyze the data from them. I have been involved in many applications related projects and I have one on my own about to publish in an journal (my first paper, as principal) and I have another project which I am working on to see it through and get it publish as well. I have been a NASA & NSF fellow for different scholarships and I have never been without a fellowship since second semester first year of my BS. Also I have presented many Posters and Orals in international and local conferences (a little over 9 or 10). If you are just starting your BS don't worry!! this would be a more fair comparison to those entering grad school or in grad school already. Maybe BS seniors also.
I forgot to state that my GPA is 4.0 for my first year of PhD.

Post by Guest »

I'm a first year undergrad studying Computer Science and Math with a focus in theoretical CS. I go to a pretty big public research university in the North East, and I've been studying CS in an out of school for about 5 years now. I was selected by an SF that interviewed me because they said that they were looking for people who were interested in CS but wanted to work in theory as opposed to Software Engineering. I submitted my ACT scores which was a composite 32/36.

I think that I'm significantly under qualified for SMART, but hopefully ASEE thinks otherwise haha. Good luck to everyone!

Gruut

Post by Gruut »

People.. please dont turn this thread into a **ck-measuring contest.. You are only going to make other people feel miserable. DoD SF's aren't going to choose the smartest.. they will choose people who do things that align with their interests. Veterans and minorities are going to get higher preference. Only less than a quarter of the awards are going to Ph.D's because contractors do most of the work.
Also if you got an interview... awesome.. even if not, you still have a chance.

Guys you will hear from them on or before friday.. Checking the website 2000 times a day will not change your outcome.. Go grab a beer and chill !!

Hopeful

Post by Hopeful »

Gruut wrote:People.. please dont turn this thread into a **ck-measuring contest.. You are only going to make other people feel miserable. DoD SF's aren't going to choose the smartest.. they will choose people who do things that align with their interests. Veterans and minorities are going to get higher preference. Only less than a quarter of the awards are going to Ph.D's because contractors do most of the work.
Also if you got an interview... awesome.. even if not, you still have a chance.

Guys you will hear from them on or before friday.. Checking the website 2000 times a day will not change your outcome.. Go grab a beer and chill !!
I agree... only the top people are gonna end up putting their stats and make the rest of us feel bad! Let's just keep our heads on for 2 more days lol

Guest020202

Post by Guest020202 »

I was one of the people who accepted the scholarship through the loophole, but I'll tell you I'm not really a stellar candidate in terms of my resume. I graduated with a B.S. in statistics with only a 3.3 and I'm currently pursuing my master's in statistical computing, Data Mining track. My GRE scores were verbal: 156 and math: 163. I have no fancy extracurriculars, no research, no relevant work experience. I think the only thing that might set me apart is that my program is probably more unique as compared to most who have applied (engineering).

Post by guest »

Guest020202 wrote:I was one of the people who accepted the scholarship through the loophole, but I'll tell you I'm not really a stellar candidate in terms of my resume. I graduated with a B.S. in statistics with only a 3.3 and I'm currently pursuing my master's in statistical computing, Data Mining track. My GRE scores were verbal: 156 and math: 163. I have no fancy extracurriculars, no research, no relevant work experience. I think the only thing that might set me apart is that my program is probably more unique as compared to most who have applied (engineering).
That was really sweet of you to put yourself out there like that. Good luck with your future endeavors.

Post by Guest »

Guest020202 wrote:I was one of the people who accepted the scholarship through the loophole, but I'll tell you I'm not really a stellar candidate in terms of my resume. I graduated with a B.S. in statistics with only a 3.3 and I'm currently pursuing my master's in statistical computing, Data Mining track. My GRE scores were verbal: 156 and math: 163. I have no fancy extracurriculars, no research, no relevant work experience. I think the only thing that might set me apart is that my program is probably more unique as compared to most who have applied (engineering).
Most likely you are doing something that's pretty important from the DoD's point of view...!

Post by guest »

guest wrote:
That was really sweet of you to put yourself out there like that. Good luck with your future endeavors.
Did you have any interviews? If so, how many?

watdfuk

Post by watdfuk »

Guest wrote:Let us then state our qualifications just to see where we stand. I just finish my 1st year of PhD on chemical physics. I went from BS in physics to PhD in chemical physics directly. My GPA for the BS was 3.71 (General) 3.82 (Concentration). I have been doing research in material science for about 5 years now and I have vast experience in the synthesis of materials through various techniques and also I can use characterization equipment and analyze the data from them. I have been involved in many applications related projects and I have one on my own about to publish in an journal (my first paper, as principal) and I have another project which I am working on to see it through and get it publish as well. I have been a NASA & NSF fellow for different scholarships and I have never been without a fellowship since second semester first year of my BS. Also I have presented many Posters and Orals in international and local conferences (a little over 9 or 10). If you are just starting your BS don't worry!! this would be a more fair comparison to those entering grad school or in grad school already. Maybe BS seniors also.
... Jerk!

Guest020202

Post by Guest020202 »

guest wrote:
guest wrote:
Did you have any interviews? If so, how many?
I had 4 interviews, and I believe I was selected by 2 places (I got the call asking for my preferences). I know that my field is really important and is currently considered "cutting edge", but not that many companies know how to incorporate it yet (although they want to). The DoD is no exception. Most of the SF's who called had no idea where to put me and most were going to stuff me in a quality assurance job or a computer programming job. I was really unhappy with all of them until an SF in California called offering a position in data analytics. It's still not exactly what I want to pursue, but the experience would at least be relevant.

Post by Guest »

I put my study is declared mathematics with a possibility of physics but I am now doubling in mathematics and CS but was not able to decide that until after the application and there was no way to add that to my application once submitted and I regret not deciding that earlier

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:I'm a first year undergrad studying Computer Science and Math with a focus in theoretical CS. I go to a pretty big public research university in the North East, and I've been studying CS in an out of school for about 5 years now. I was selected by an SF that interviewed me because they said that they were looking for people who were interested in CS but wanted to work in theory as opposed to Software Engineering. I submitted my ACT scores which was a composite 32/36.

I think that I'm significantly under qualified for SMART, but hopefully ASEE thinks otherwise haha. Good luck to
everyone!

What SF called you if you don't mind me asking?

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
Guest wrote:I'm a first year undergrad studying Computer Science and Math with a focus in theoretical CS. I go to a pretty big public research university in the North East, and I've been studying CS in an out of school for about 5 years now. I was selected by an SF that interviewed me because they said that they were looking for people who were interested in CS but wanted to work in theory as opposed to Software Engineering. I submitted my ACT scores which was a composite 32/36.

I think that I'm significantly under qualified for SMART, but hopefully ASEE thinks otherwise haha. Good luck to
everyone!

What SF called you if you don't mind me asking?
Aberdeen Proving Ground

Post by Guest »

So I was the one who found the loophole and told everyone. I was awarded, but I can tell you right now that your grades and test scores don't mean everything. I have a 3.18 at Texas A&M University, with my major being meteorology and minor in oceanography. I graduate in May and they will be funding my masters. My GRE scores for verbal was a 142 and math was a 151; I completely suck at standardized testing. But I nailed the interview, and my research, work experience, and my letters of rec is what helped me get in. So you don't have to be the best of the best to get this scholarship. They care about performance. They have seen me perform in my undergrad and saw how much I've done, so they awarded me. I'm completely shocked to be honest, because I was told by professors across the states that I wouldn't get it and I was wasting my time to even apply for it. So I'm telling you there is hope out there for you guys, because when I thought I was the least qualified based on GPA and GRE scores...I was awarded. So don't give up, because I didn't. I'm rooting for all of you!

So stating qualifications gets you nowhere. Just proven.

Gruut

Post by Gruut »

Guest wrote:So I was the one who found the loophole and told everyone. I was awarded, but I can tell you right now that your grades and test scores don't mean everything. I have a 3.18 at Texas A&M University, with my major being meteorology and minor in oceanography. I graduate in May and they will be funding my masters. My GRE scores for verbal was a 142 and math was a 151; I completely suck at standardized testing. But I nailed the interview, and my research, work experience, and my letters of rec is what helped me get in. So you don't have to be the best of the best to get this scholarship. They care about performance. They have seen me perform in my undergrad and saw how much I've done, so they awarded me. I'm completely shocked to be honest, because I was told by professors across the states that I wouldn't get it and I was wasting my time to even apply for it. So I'm telling you there is hope out there for you guys, because when I thought I was the least qualified based on GPA and GRE scores...I was awarded. So don't give up, because I didn't. I'm rooting for all of you!

Inspirational !! And thanks for finding the loophole..

Guest020202

Post by Guest020202 »

Gruut wrote:
Guest wrote:So I was the one who found the loophole and told everyone. I was awarded, but I can tell you right now that your grades and test scores don't mean everything. I have a 3.18 at Texas A&M University, with my major being meteorology and minor in oceanography. I graduate in May and they will be funding my masters. My GRE scores for verbal was a 142 and math was a 151; I completely suck at standardized testing. But I nailed the interview, and my research, work experience, and my letters of rec is what helped me get in. So you don't have to be the best of the best to get this scholarship. They care about performance. They have seen me perform in my undergrad and saw how much I've done, so they awarded me. I'm completely shocked to be honest, because I was told by professors across the states that I wouldn't get it and I was wasting my time to even apply for it. So I'm telling you there is hope out there for you guys, because when I thought I was the least qualified based on GPA and GRE scores...I was awarded. So don't give up, because I didn't. I'm rooting for all of you!

Inspirational !! And thanks for finding the loophole..
I second that! Congrats! I feel like the gpa and such is mainly only looked at when making it through the first round. After that, it's all about what each SF needs our think will be useful

udontnojakki

Post by udontnojakki »

Well this thread just turned into the GradCafe real quick... :(