Hearing Crickets

Answers to various questions regarding the SMART Scholarship application process. Includes many tips and statistics.
udontnojakki

Hearing Crickets

Post by udontnojakki »

Anybody else heard nothing but that first phase pass email? I'm getting nervous! :/ Need comfort.

UMN2019

Re: Hearing Crickets

Post by UMN2019 »

Same here. I am starting to get incredibly nervous. However, it seems like most of the people who received interviews were not undergrads. I am hoping desperately that I get a scholarship but right now my spirits are not real high. Best of luck to you.

Post by Guest »

UMN2019 wrote:Same here. I am starting to get incredibly nervous. However, it seems like most of the people who received interviews were not undergrads. I am hoping desperately that I get a scholarship but right now my spirits are not real high. Best of luck to you.
I'm an undergrad freshman who got interviewed. Although some people who received awards have said that they were never even contacted by the SF that chose them. SMART calling to ask if you prefer one SF over another is only done if multiple SF's select you. If you haven't received anything since the first phase, it's possible still that you got selected by an SF. I can barely wait until April though to hear back officially.

Good luck!

Post by guest »

I, too have not heard anything since the second phase email. I am a 2nd year Ph. D. student. :(

guest5534

Post by guest5534 »

I am also a PhD student and haven't heard anything after the 1st email, :(. Who knows.

udontnojakki

Post by udontnojakki »

Glad to hear I'm not alone. Maybe there is still hope for us!! :?

shakalaka

Post by shakalaka »

Former recepients have reported here that many never got a call. Getting an interview doesn't guarantee anything either. We should be hearing from them in a week. Keep your hopes up.

shakalaka

Post by shakalaka »

I also see a pattern where graduate students are the ones getting most of the interviews. Keep in mind that more than 50% of the recepients are undergraduate students.

Post by Guest »

I'm an undergrad in my freshman year of college and I got an interview but I didn't get a call from SMART saying If I multiple bids (or whatever you call it) so I might not have gotten anything. Interviews don't mean much.

Post by guest »

The SF that I interviewed with said they only interview graduate students, and they did not use SMART for hiring undergrads.

shakalaka

Post by shakalaka »

guest wrote:The SF that I interviewed with said they only interview graduate students, and they did not use SMART for hiring undergrads.
Do you mind sharing the name of the SF ?

guest5534

Post by guest5534 »

I guess it really does depend on the SF if they decide to interview you if you are an undergrad or grad student. Only time will tell.

udontnojakki

Post by udontnojakki »

When do you think we'll hear back guys? :?

Post by Guest »

udontnojakki wrote:When do you think we'll hear back guys? :?
I was told by my SF that it would be April 8th, but I believe some other people here said that they were told April 1st. So hopefully at the earliest, this Friday, and at the latest, next Friday.

CurrentFed

Post by CurrentFed »

FWIW, I was told by my current agency SMART rep that April 8th "is the day".

Post by guest »

CurrentFed wrote:FWIW, I was told by my current agency SMART rep that April 8th "is the day".
Noooooooooo. Thanks for the update.

Guest1

Post by Guest1 »

Heh. I was just told that April 1st was "the day." I dunno though, it seems kinda odd to have it this week. Your rep may be correct. Good luck regardless. At worst we all have to wait 8 more days.

UMN2019

Post by UMN2019 »

I am seriously hoping that "the day" is tomorrow. I don't know if my mind can take another week of waiting. I NEED TO KNOW NOW!!!

GuestWhoItis

Post by GuestWhoItis »

Guest1 wrote:Heh. I was just told that April 1st was "the day." I dunno though, it seems kinda odd to have it this week. Your rep may be correct. Good luck regardless. At worst we all have to wait 8 more days.
Who did you hear that from?

Guest1

Post by Guest1 »

One of the engineers who interviewed me works with one of my relatives. They asked when I would hear from the smart people and the guy said that he was informed that award letters would be going out the "first Friday in april." This is April 1st. So yeah, the anticipation is building. Good luck again all.

udontnojakki

Post by udontnojakki »

So if awards are going out soon anyone know what time of day they come out? Midnight? Or just random? :o

UMN2019

Post by UMN2019 »

My guess would be that they would be sent out at approximately the same time the first email was sent out. At the latest COB which is 4 pm, that's if they are coming out tomorrow.

Guest1

Post by Guest1 »

Well I received the first email at noon central time. Last year the emails went out at 3 central. So yeah, it's hard to say a specific time. I would say it is more likely to be in the afternoon /evening versus the morning.

udontnojakki

Post by udontnojakki »

Luckily I have many experiments to do tomorrow or else I would be glued to my email and get nothing done. :lol:

guest5534

Post by guest5534 »

Well this thread just exploded. We are all in the same boat waiting to hear.