who all is applying this year?

Answers to various questions regarding the SMART Scholarship application process. Includes many tips and statistics.
wake15

Re: who all is applying this year?

Post by wake15 »

Haven't heard anything yet... :/

daisy1234

Post by daisy1234 »

I applied this year and have still not heard anything. Soon hopefully?

NanoChic

Post by NanoChic »

I still have not heard anything. Even if the answer is "No" I would really just like to know. Oh well...

Buckeye221

Post by Buckeye221 »

Nope, I emailed them at the end of last week and received a quick response stating that notifications will be sent within the next week. This has been the same statement they have been providing for about three weeks now. We will eventually find out....

guest2011

Post by guest2011 »

Buckeye221 wrote:Nope, I emailed them at the end of last week and received a quick response stating that notifications will be sent within the next week. This has been the same statement they have been providing for about three weeks now. We will eventually find out....
That's their way. And before you know it, it will be July just like last year.

jjm390

Post by jjm390 »

guest2011 wrote:
Buckeye221 wrote:Nope, I emailed them at the end of last week and received a quick response stating that notifications will be sent within the next week. This has been the same statement they have been providing for about three weeks now. We will eventually find out....
That's their way. And before you know it, it will be July just like last year.
I seem to remember the NAVY being like that too... Par for the course with the government.

mstng341

Post by mstng341 »

Is there any answer we might receive other than that we should hear something in the next week? That seems to have been the response for the past 2-3 weeks.

Like · · 20 hours ago near Ashland, KY

Smart Scholarship for Service Program The program appreciates your patience, and will notify all applicants as soon as there is an update from the Department of Defense.

19 hours ago · Like · 1

This is the latest posting on Facebook.

jcantrell0018

Post by jcantrell0018 »

Ha, that was my facebook post. Tried to be polite, but also trying to express my frustration with being told the same thing over and over. If you don't know, then isn't it better just to say you don't know? It's a fair answer.

mstng341

Post by mstng341 »

jcantrell0018 wrote:Ha, that was my facebook post. Tried to be polite, but also trying to express my frustration with being told the same thing over and over. If you don't know, then isn't it better just to say you don't know? It's a fair answer.
I thought you did a very pc job at stating your frustration without coming across as mean or cross. Hopefully we will hear something soon. I really thought we would hear something by now.

Buckeye221

Post by Buckeye221 »

I know it's frustrating, but I can tell after spending 10 years in the Air Force that this is quite commonplace when dealing with DoD.. Hurry up and wait :) If you plan on a career with DoD, get used to it.

GE313

Post by GE313 »

same. Still haven't been contacted either way.

NanoChic

Post by NanoChic »

Just got email - eligible for the next phase. Really excited!
Good luck to everyone!

buckeye221

Post by buckeye221 »

I received an email as well. Good luck!

Atomic

Post by Atomic »

Same!

I seriously doubt they will announce award offers on April 1st, like they told jjm390, though. Most likely, we won't hear back until May. They seem to be much more on top of things in comparison to last year, and more on track for previous years' timelines.

jjm390

Post by jjm390 »

Atomic wrote:Same!

I seriously doubt they will announce award offers on April 1st, like they told jjm390, though. Most likely, we won't hear back until May. They seem to be much more on top of things in comparison to last year, and more on track for previous years' timelines.

I agree. They told me April 1st before they were delayed by the DoD. The semi-finalist selection letter says May, so we are probably looking at late May or early June. Hopefully earlier, so winners can make arrangements to go to orientation.

Atomic

Post by Atomic »

jjm390 wrote:I agree. They told me April 1st before they were delayed by the DoD. The semi-finalist selection letter says May, so we are probably looking at late May or early June. Hopefully earlier, so winners can make arrangements to go to orientation.
I would definitely keep my fingers crossed for mid- to late May. If I were incredibly lucky and received the scholarship, I would have to make arrangements with the program, since I'm committed to a study-abroad program through the month of June. I'm guessing that's okay--I think I read somewhere on their site you're only forbidden from study abroad once you're receiving funding.

Post by Guest »

While study abroad may not be a problem for SMART, you might have issues with Security Clearance if the study takes place in certain countries.

Atomic

Post by Atomic »

Guest wrote:While study abroad may not be a problem for SMART, you might have issues with Security Clearance if the study takes place in certain countries.
Thanks for the reminder! But since my program is in the United Kingdom, I haven't been too concerned. .