2012 Applicants

Answers to various questions regarding the SMART Scholarship application process. Includes many tips and statistics.
WaitingIsFun

Re: 2012 Applicants

Post by WaitingIsFun »

Guest2 wrote:Just wanted to update you all and let you know to keep close to your phones, my husband jut got a call from the smart program to verify a few things. Good luck to everyone waiting to hear something!
I just got a similar phone call wanting me to confirm my rankings of the SFs in case they had changed during the interview process.

Grishko

Post by Grishko »

[quote="Guest"]

Once you have made it past the first round of cuts, this scholarship is less about qualification to receive the scholarship and more about the anticipated need for an individual with your research background or expertise. Once again, good luck to all in the applicant pool as the award notification date nears.

This is true. The only reason I was interviewed by a site was because they were interested in me to replace one of their current employees who will be retiring. At this point it has less to do with merit, than the openings and needs that the DoD has.

Best of Luck to Everyone!!! C=

Guest17

Post by Guest17 »

I was recommended by a facility and I'm anxiously waiting to hear anything. I haven't gotten any other word from SMART. Unfortunately, I'm applying for a three year scholarship and the facility said that could be a reason I would not be selected by SMART due to their budget. Especially with all this internship money fiasco.

Hopefully we find out soon enough so we can just worry about school!

crazyidea

Post by crazyidea »

This may be crazy, but I was just perusing the forum from this time last year, and I see that those who were selected for the scholarship were asked to go to https://smart.asee.org/award and log in with their application email and password. A few people even logged into the awards page before they got their acceptance email, and those who didn't receive the award could not log in.

I was thinking that it's likely that they'll use the same process this year. I tried logging in myself, but no dice yet. Anyone else want to try to log in? They may or may not open up access to that page before Monday... but it's worth a try.

And, yes, I know I should just be patient, and that there's nothing I can do to influence the outcome at this point. But I can't really help myself...

2012_UMD

Post by 2012_UMD »

crazyidea wrote:This may be crazy, but I was just perusing the forum from this time last year, and I see that those who were selected for the scholarship were asked to go to https://smart.asee.org/award and log in with their application email and password. A few people even logged into the awards page before they got their acceptance email, and those who didn't receive the award could not log in.

I was thinking that it's likely that they'll use the same process this year. I tried logging in myself, but no dice yet. Anyone else want to try to log in? They may or may not open up access to that page before Monday... but it's worth a try.

And, yes, I know I should just be patient, and that there's nothing I can do to influence the outcome at this point. But I can't really help myself...

No dice for me, either.

veryanxioussssss

Post by veryanxioussssss »

Responding to "crazyidea"...

I also tried your idea, and I got the following message:
"Either the email address or the password you entered is incorrect."

Just thought I would pass that along.

More Waiting....

maybe

Post by maybe »

crazy idea #2

if you can log on --> you have a chance
if you can not log on (says address/password is incorrect) --> have been dropped from the running

cantwaitnemore

Post by cantwaitnemore »

For those of you who are saying 'no dice' for the web site, it is letting you into a blank screen or saying 'invalid username/password'?

2012_UMD

Post by 2012_UMD »

maybe wrote:crazy idea #2

if you can log on --> you have a chance
if you can not log on (says address/password is incorrect) --> have been dropped from the running
What substantiates your claim here? Is this a guess? 'Cause if so your vagueness is freaking me out.

maybe

Post by maybe »

idk. i was freaking out myself cause i couldn't log on.
i didn't hear anything after the first round email, and could not log on. wouldn't be surprised if not being able to log on was a sign of something.

i was hoping others would clarify whether they were even able to log on when they say "no dice"

:(

2012_UMD

Post by 2012_UMD »

maybe wrote:idk. i was freaking out myself cause i couldn't log on.
i didn't hear anything after the first round email, and could not log on. wouldn't be surprised if not being able to log on was a sign of something.

i was hoping others would clarify whether they were even able to log on when they say "no dice"

:(
I wasn't able to log on, as in I saw "invalid username/password". For context, I've been assured by my top facility that did a full day personal interview that my name was requested for funding, but I still can't log on. I've requested three years of support, so I may not be selected because of budgeting issues, but if it is any comfort to you you're in the same boat with me. I think it may be premature to think that they have their ducks in a row this early, so until people start saying they can log in I wouldn't freak out.

maybe

Post by maybe »

thanks. i've been so on the edge lately, spending most of my time just waiting, as i'm sure is true for most others too, any new information makes me panic.

maybe i'll go for a run to calm my nerves or something.

2012_UMD

Post by 2012_UMD »

maybe wrote:thanks. i've been so on the edge lately, spending most of my time just waiting, as i'm sure is true for most others too, any new information makes me panic.

maybe i'll go for a run to calm my nerves or something.

I'm with you there. This is a truly nail-biting scenario, and I'm checking my email constantly. It's nice on some level to know that we'll have an answer in less than a week, even if it's a negative.

crazyidea

Post by crazyidea »

Sorry everyone, didn't mean to cause mass panic. I posted the idea originally, and by "no dice" I meant that I get the "Either the email address or the password you entered is incorrect" message. I agree with UMD_2012 - I don't really expect that this tactic will work before Friday at the earliest, and probably not before Monday. But I'm still glad to hear that everyone else is getting the same result.

WaitingIsFun

Post by WaitingIsFun »

In reference to logging into the awards page my guess is that the internal ASEE decision process should go something like this.

1) Make decisions
2) Prepare all documentation and back end systems (to include the awards page)
3) Announce decisions

If that guess is accurate then you would be able to get into the awards page after step 2 is completed and before step 3 to get an early insight into your status. Until someone is successful in getting an early peak into the system then I would assume that all current applicants would get the invalid username / password error because the credentials of the winners have not been entered into the systm.

Or the process may look like:
1) Delay
2) Procrastinate
3) What day is it?
4) Oh well.. If I have to pick let me get out the darts
5) Announce winners
6) Notify another department to prepare back end systems and documentation
7) Send out another e-mail with information on how to access documentation and back end systems.

P.S:
I prefer this one.

winners = []
while(money > 0):
winners.push(applicants.pop(math.floor(random.random() * applicants.length - 1))
money -= winners[-1].expectedCosts
winners.pop() ##To get rid of the applicant that caused the available money to be negative

Grishko

Post by Grishko »

Not to be a Debby Downer or anything,

but is it possible that they reset your password and send it to you in the award announcement email?
In which case no one would be able to get a sneak peak at the awards page....

I'd much prefer if they didn't, because that's one more thing that would take up time.

daGhost

Post by daGhost »

WaitingIsFun wrote: P.S:
I prefer this one.

winners = []
while(money > 0):
winners.push(applicants.pop(math.floor(random.random() * applicants.length - 1))
winners.pop() ##To get rid of the applicant that caused the available money to be negative
Hahaha, this would be a sucky way to do it lol

Kibeth

Post by Kibeth »

WaitingIsFun wrote:
1) Delay
2) Procrastinate
3) What day is it?
5) Announce winners
7) Send out another e-mail with information on how to access documentation and back end systems.

P.S:
I prefer this one.

winners = []
while(money > 0):
Hilarious. I'm also not quite convinced that they don't make their selections just like that.

P.S.

I feel like if this were another forum that didn't contain all manner of STEM majors, such a programming joke would not be appreciated nearly as much.

WaitingIsFun

Post by WaitingIsFun »

Kibeth wrote:
Hilarious. I'm also not quite convinced that they don't make their selections just like that.

P.S.

I feel like if this were another forum that didn't contain all manner of STEM majors, such a programming joke would not be appreciated nearly as much.
Indeed it got better reception then I expected. However I am a little disappointed that the third and fourth lines of code lost their indent so the while loop now looks like it contains the winners.pop() which it shouldn't. I probably should have checked the HTML code the post would generate prior to posting it.
Grishko wrote:Not to be a Debby Downer or anything,

but is it possible that they reset your password and send it to you in the award announcement email?
In which case no one would be able to get a sneak peak at the awards page....

I'd much prefer if they didn't, because that's one more thing that would take up time.
The awards page has a password reset link on it. I don't think simply changing all of our passwords would delay a determined applicant for long. I haven't tried using the password reset link however.

In_Stitches

Post by In_Stitches »

WaitingIsFun wrote:
Kibeth wrote: The awards page has a password reset link on it. I don't think simply changing all of our passwords would delay a determined applicant for long. I haven't tried using the password reset link however.
Ahead of you there. The best check is always just to see if your email is registered in the system, which currently mine is not.

Four days, ladies and gents.

Guest 2012

Post by Guest 2012 »

WaitingIsFun wrote:In reference to logging into the awards page my guess is that the internal ASEE decision process should go something like this.

1) Make decisions
2) Prepare all documentation and back end systems (to include the awards page)
3) Announce decisions

If that guess is accurate then you would be able to get into the awards page after step 2 is completed and before step 3 to get an early insight into your status. Until someone is successful in getting an early peak into the system then I would assume that all current applicants would get the invalid username / password error because the credentials of the winners have not been entered into the systm.

1) Delay
2) Procrastinate
3) What day is it?
5) Announce winners

P.S:
I prefer this one.

winners = []
while(money > 0):
Well player, sir (ma'am?)...well played.

GOING_INSANE

Post by GOING_INSANE »

AHHH!! I want to know now! I'm checking this forum and my email every 45 seconds! I'll likely kill my phone battery just opening up gmail!

Grishko

Post by Grishko »

I haven't gone into checking my email every minute mode quite yet-- its taken a lot of restraint.
But I know I will be on Monday, there is no way I'm going to be able to focus in my classes!

smart_hopeful

Post by smart_hopeful »

In_Stitches wrote: Four days, ladies and gents.
Ah, an optimist! ;)

DODhopeful

Post by DODhopeful »

Just tried to log in, got an error that said "username or password is incorrect". This is going to be a long weekend!