2012 Applicants

Answers to various questions regarding the SMART Scholarship application process. Includes many tips and statistics.
not_much_hope_left

Re: 2012 Applicants

Post by not_much_hope_left »

I haven't heard a thing at all :-\ really sucks cause i dont want to pay another $28000 for tuition next semester

daGhost

Post by daGhost »

qqccc wrote:Anyone else not heard anything since the first "next round" email? I haven't gotten any emails or phone interviews since then.
not_much_hope_left wrote:I haven't heard a thing at all :-\ really sucks cause i dont want to pay another $28000 for tuition next semester
Yeah guys, I haven't heard anything since the first round email too. This is unfortunate and is making me definitely lose hope. I do keep in mind that past participants say there have been winners who aren't really contacted by any facilities and stuff like that, so we still have a chance. Let's just be patient and see what happens!

2012_UMD

Post by 2012_UMD »

To keep myself from going insane, and to keep this forum alive over the weekend, I'm going to initiate a betting pool.

Today is March 30th, so I'd say with 99% certainty we'll hear within the next two weeks.
I think a better limit is the next ten days, since we've heard things like on or around April 9th.
Frankly, I think we'll hear a little earlier, in that they say things to appease us but not promise things to early.

So, I'll put my money on hearing next Friday. What do you guys think?

currentfed

Post by currentfed »

2012_UMD wrote:To keep myself from going insane, and to keep this forum alive over the weekend, I'm going to initiate a betting pool.

Today is March 30th, so I'd say with 99% certainty we'll hear within the next two weeks.
I think a better limit is the next ten days, since we've heard things like on or around April 9th.
Frankly, I think we'll hear a little earlier, in that they say things to appease us but not promise things to early.

So, I'll put my money on hearing next Friday. What do you guys think?
I'd put 10 bucks on April 9th, 4:30pm, plus/minus half an hour.

I'd like to think that we'd hear back a little early, but I'd bet the SPO is spending a fair amount of time dealing with current participants, what with the retraction of internship support payments. And it's the government, so things are generally on time or a little late.

veryanxioussssss

Post by veryanxioussssss »

I like the idea of getting bets going. I can't even describe the anxiety I've been experiencing awaiting the results of this award. Knowing that others haven't been contacted either makes me feel like at least I'm not the only one, but it still makes me WONDER what's going to happen. I just registered for my summer/fall classes. Literally, if I get this scholarship, everything will change. Which I'm fine with, but it has just been SO nerve racking. April 9th I will be GLUED to my phone. Except for at work, since I cannot express my extreme happiness or extreme sadness while at work; I won't be able to hide it. But once I'm out--glued.

Sorry for the rant. But I'm just getting antsy...... :-/

Still_Waiting

Post by Still_Waiting »

I don't know, I'm thinking we'll hear back Monday, April 9th. I have friends that heard back early from their NSF proposals today, but I think the DOD will be on time if late with their estimate. The other DOD fellowship, the NDSEG, didn't announce until April 18th last year.

So, 2012_UMD, you wanna throw money down? My $50 says April 9th. But, let's hope you're right and we hear back sooner.

veryanxioussssss

Post by veryanxioussssss »

Quick Question:
On my application I put that I am finishing my bachelor's (which is true)--the drop down box that said "what current level of education are you fulfilling?": I put BS. However, on my application in my resume, and in my essays, I mentioned that I wanted to continue with graduate school for the same field. My question is: if awarded, will I be held to finishing a graduate degree since on the application itself I had put down BS level work, and had only <b>anticipated</b> going to grad school? I'm wondering how that would pan out. I'm asking because I'm not exactly thrilled to go to grad school at this point.

Post by Guest »

veryanxioussssss wrote:Quick Question:
On my application I put that I am finishing my bachelor's (which is true)--the drop down box that said "what current level of education are you fulfilling?": I put BS. However, on my application in my resume, and in my essays, I mentioned that I wanted to continue with graduate school for the same field. My question is: if awarded, will I be held to finishing a graduate degree since on the application itself I had put down BS level work, and had only <b>anticipated</b> going to grad school? I'm wondering how that would pan out. I'm asking because I'm not exactly thrilled to go to grad school at this point.
They will let you modify your contract prior to signing it as long as the SF doesn't mind. I did. No problems.

Post by Guest »

Still_Waiting wrote:I don't know, I'm thinking we'll hear back Monday, April 9th. I have friends that heard back early from their NSF proposals today, but I think the DOD will be on time if late with their estimate. The other DOD fellowship, the NDSEG, didn't announce until April 18th last year.

So, 2012_UMD, you wanna throw money down? My $50 says April 9th. But, let's hope you're right and we hear back sooner.
In 2010 we heard back on the exact day they told us we would and I don't think anyone heard back before that. As far as interviews, unless they are newly required, which would be a great improvement, then I never got an interview with any SF and didn't know my SF until the award contract came in my email. Quit staring at your inbox, it will come on the day they said and not before.

cookiecrisp

Post by cookiecrisp »

I called the main office about a week ago and bluntly asked if no phone interview meant that I was not in consideration for the award. They said, "No. Some facilities may not conduct phone interviews."

For the truly paranoid, read into this as a someone just avoiding the delivery of bad news. For everyone else, relax. :)

Still_Waiting

Post by Still_Waiting »

I wouldn't say paranoid, just diplomatic. The SMART office is holding their cards to their chest. If you haven't heard a call, it may or may not mean that you get an award in the same sense that an interview is not a guarantee for an award. Them telling you this is them making no promises either way, i.e. neutral. What is a better read on probability are the anecdotal responses of those who got an award without hearing anything. A week from today, folks. We're all in this together.

Sad_Hopeful

Post by Sad_Hopeful »

I know I am also patiently waiting for the outcome of this application process, but the only thing that is bothering me is some information I found out recently. I asked a local agency that I had as my top pick if they finished making their decision and if they even saw my application. (I have friends there) Do you know that they told me they looked for it and didn't event see it. Things that make me go hummmmm?

daGhost

Post by daGhost »

Sad_Hopeful wrote:I know I am also patiently waiting for the outcome of this application process, but the only thing that is bothering me is some information I found out recently. I asked a local agency that I had as my top pick if they finished making their decision and if they even saw my application. (I have friends there) Do you know that they told me they looked for it and didn't event see it. Things that make me go hummmmm?
That freaking sucks! I hope that isn't the outcome for most of our applications as well with our top picks!

Guest2

Post by Guest2 »

Just wanted to update you all and let you know to keep close to your phones, my husband jut got a call from the smart program to verify a few things. Good luck to everyone waiting to hear something!

guest_mv

Post by guest_mv »

Got an e-mail today from an agency with which I interviewed. Subject was "SMART Internship Details."

Turns out the agency had mistakenly placed me on the mailing list for the 2011-2012 recipients.

Still waiting.

Guessed

Post by Guessed »

guest_mv wrote:Got an e-mail today from an agency with which I interviewed. Subject was "SMART Internship Details."

Turns out the agency had mistakenly placed me on the mailing list for the 2011-2012 recipients.

Still waiting.

Was the email general details about the SMART Scholar internships or was it specific to those interning at that location?

With the information circulating on the recipients board about the termination of internship funding, I am sure people would like to see what it said, if you don't mind sharing. Thanks in advance.

guest_mv

Post by guest_mv »

The e-mail just contained miscellaneous info about the internship - dress code, directions and admittance to the base and work dates for each recipient.

flyboyy

Post by flyboyy »

How many people have had more than one interview?
I've had two interviews with two different bases. One of which went extremely well and the other was also great. Just hoping I was recommended by either of them. I'm waiting just like you all... oh man...

Post by Guest »

I was flown out to my top site for an interview, but no contact from anyone else.

Grishko

Post by Grishko »

I was interviewed and flown out to tour the lab for one site, but I haven't heard from anyone else.

Veryanxioussssssss

Post by Veryanxioussssssss »

I feel kinda like crap. Not only did I get no in-person interviews, I didn't get any phone calls. The only communication I got was the "you made the first round of cuts" e-mail.

April 9th can't come soon enough. This is so nail biting!!

curious2012

Post by curious2012 »

Veryanxioussssssss wrote:I feel kinda like crap. Not only did I get no in-person interviews, I didn't get any phone calls. The only communication I got was the "you made the first round of cuts" e-mail.

if you don't mind me asking, what are you majored in and are you a grad student or a undergrad

Guest1

Post by Guest1 »

Veryanxioussssssss wrote:I feel kinda like crap. Not only did I get no in-person interviews, I didn't get any phone calls. The only communication I got was the "you made the first round of cuts" e-mail.

I was a recipient in 2009. I didn't get any interviews (in-person or phone calls) until I received the award. My facility allowed me to tour the base prior to accepting (they were about 2 hours away from my university) but other than that I never knew I had been considered a finalist. My facility was also not even a base in my "top 5" listed on my application.

Post by Guest »

Surely there are others in your same position. I say "surely" because I know for sure that I received no phone, live or other interview format and have also heard nothing since the first round cut email. We are all in this together, so all we can do is be patient, hope for the best and be supportive of one another.

And for those of us that receive an offer, best of luck to you with your future as a SMART scholar--hopefully you can become one of those who still actively check the forum to help out next year's applicants. And to those that don't, do not be discouraged, but rather, try again or try for other scholarships, fellowships, etc. Once you have made it past the first round of cuts, this scholarship is less about qualification to receive the scholarship and more about the anticipated need for an individual with your research background or expertise. Once again, good luck to all in the applicant pool as the award notification date nears.

Less than a week (barring any unforeseen delays in the decision-making process on the side of the SMART Program Office) and we should all know where we stand.

Guest 2012

Post by Guest 2012 »

Just to claim my post, the one directly above is mine...it apparently did not like Guest 2012 as my username last time. Well that or I am too embarrassed to admit that i didn't know the square root of pi^2, and I forgot to re-enter my user name correctly the second time...