Notifications?

Answers to various questions regarding the SMART Scholarship application process. Includes many tips and statistics.

Notifications?

Post by newbie »

So did anyone at all get word as to when this decision is happening. Its nearly June and I have received no info yet. The forum has been relatively inactive and I was just wondering if everyone is still interested.

Fingers-Crossed

Re: Notifications?

Post by Fingers-Crossed »

Nope, I haven't heard a thing in nearly seven weeks. At that point the word was that we would hear something in 2-3 weeks.

Anonymous235

Post by Anonymous235 »

I emailed SMART about two weeks ago and received the following:

"We don't have any updates from the last notification from February from the Department of Defense that "The 2013 SMART Scholarship-for-Service awards will be announced in the Summer of 2013 contingent on the availability of appropriated funds". We believe that their desire is to have announcements out before May 31 but we cannot guarantee that will happen. As soon as we have any updates, we’ll notify the students."

SO... ambiguous per the usual..

Post by Guest »

Rejection e-mails went out on June 8th last year. I wouldn't expect anything until June 7th, at the earliest, especially with everything else going on.

EEmajor

Post by EEmajor »

Well maybe tomorrow is the day...???? Seems as if things only happen on fridays.

Gambit1055

Post by Gambit1055 »

EEmajor wrote:Well maybe tomorrow is the day...???? Seems as if things only happen on fridays.
Or maybe its the other tomorrow

Guest3

Post by Guest3 »

So has anyone heard anything? I know many many months ago I made it past the first cut (received what looked like an automated email), but since have heard nothing. Has anyone tried calling the SMART/ASEE offices?

At this point I have little hope, but still would be nice to know for certain.

waiting

Post by waiting »

Technically we dont have to hear until September right? until we need to pick our classes.

thewaitinggame

Post by thewaitinggame »

The facebook page just indicated that the 2013 applicants should be notified before the scholarship reopens in August. Last year's awardees were notified June 8th (Friday) so tomorrow might happen!

Gambit1055

Post by Gambit1055 »

We'll all see soon enough.
You would think that after three years running this late they would change something. If they cannot make a descision on time tthen , lets see what would be logical,,,,,,, oh yeah change the dates on the schedule so that we don't suffer????

Fingers-Crossed

Post by Fingers-Crossed »

Yep, today is a decision day for me. I am really shocked that they are competing with last year's late notification. But, here we are...

Today is my last day of keeping my life on hold for this, however. I recently became a stay at home mom. Soon after making this change, my husband's salary got cut by about 40%. So, the one income isn't working anymore. Because of the nature of my work, projects are 6-12 month commitments, I don't want to go back to work if it's going to be short-term. Of course, I could get a job at a gas station or something, but the cost of a babysitter (3 kids) would make the extra-income barely noticeable. So, we've been telling ourselves to hold out and see about this scholarship first. If I get the scholarship, we can hold out for a few more months until the stipends start coming in.

So, today is the last day of taking that approach. If we don't hear today, I start making phone calls on Monday. I may or may not take the scholarship, if I am offered it, depending on where I'm at with the new job.

As much as I sympathize and agree with your frustration in waiting, I feel compelled to point out that there is no schedule for notifications. In fact, our last email stated, "The 2013 SMART Scholarship-for-Service awards will be announced in the Summer of 2013 contingent on the availability of appropriated funds." All the dates and expectations that we have had throughout this forum are simply speculation, whether based on facts or thin air. I was one of the people who was told during an interview that we should have heard long ago. So, as much as I had hoped that was solid information, I have to admit it was only speculation on the part of the SF.

Also, 2011 notifications went out March 31st, so this would only be the second year of late notifications.

Gambit1055

Post by Gambit1055 »

As much as I sympathize and agree with your frustration in waiting, I feel compelled to point out that there is no schedule for notifications. In fact, our last email stated, "The 2013 SMART Scholarship-for-Service awards will be announced in the Summer of 2013 contingent on the availability of appropriated funds." All the dates and expectations that we have had throughout this forum are simply speculation, whether based on facts or thin air. I was one of the people who was told during an interview that we should have heard long ago. So, as much as I had hoped that was solid information, I have to admit it was only speculation on the part of the SF.

Also, 2011 notifications went out March 31st, so this would only be the second year of late notifications.[/quote]

I am also done waiting as you are. This schoraship would have afforded me the ability togo full time and concentrate on keeping a 3.9 OR ABOVE gpa, I will just have to the next job with more flexible hours that comes along. Good luck in your endevors.
I do beg to differ on the deadlines of notification. When I originally put in an application, there was a schedule of clearly defined dates posted as part of the "what happens next section".

Anon_314

Post by Anon_314 »

Another week down. I sincerely doubt that we'll hear in June.

Post by Guest »

Still nothing?

forum seems empty.

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:Still nothing?

forum seems empty.
nothing yet... i usually check the forum on friday afternoons though

Gambit105

Post by Gambit105 »

Another week here and gone. I guess that Maybe we can hope that they will annouce some time in July or at least before our tuition bills are due.

Idaho ME

Post by Idaho ME »

I've been watching the forum and watching the political news hoping to see something that could indicate some forward motion for us SMART hopefuls.

On Friday the House of Representatives passed a defense bill, and all of the news outlets were focusing on the fact that the bill contained provisions for the punishment of sexual assault, the closing of Guantanamo Bay and a bunch of other little political tidbits buried in the bill, with the sexual assault issue taking the news lead.

What the reporters didn't concentrate on much is the fact that this is a $638 Billion bill which "authorizes money for aircraft, weapons, ships, personnel and the war in Afghanistan in the fiscal year beginning Oct. 1 while blocking the Pentagon from closing domestic bases."

This might not make it through the Senate until fall, but from my point of view it's good news for us as it seems to be closing some of the budget gap that was created by sequestration. I don't know if it affects SMART funding or not, but it sure looks like positive news.

Guest22

Post by Guest22 »

So I got tired of waiting and listening to rumors on the forums and called the ASEE/SMART office. They were very nice helpful and said that they are still waiting on the DoD to give them a final list. She could not say when, but expected it would be soon. I also said that there had been rumors of less awards this year, she said there would be 150 awards, which she also said was nominal amount.

So the wait continues, but it seems like there will be some news soonish.

Guest11

Post by Guest11 »

So I'm assuming that means we won't get notifications this week either? If they don't have them by Wednesday this week I can only hope it will come next week.

Still, at least there are still awards and the program is continuing. I was more bothered by the spectre of complete cancellation rather than the irritating delays.

smart_hopeful

Post by smart_hopeful »

Not that this will make you feel better, but serious and unexpected personnel budget issues are hitting everyone in DoD. Many people have been furloughed, many more still don't know if they will be or not. So if you get the fellowship - even if it even continues to be offered, which my SMART mentor is not at all sure of - be prepared for continuing uncertainty.

But then you should all be prepared for that wherever you go. It's a rough economy out there.

thewaitinggame

Post by thewaitinggame »

I guess interview rounds have been closed (according to SMART FB page), and I was not contacted for one. Does this pretty much cement my chances for getting it at 0? How often do students receive awards sans interview?

Post by Guest »

thewaitinggame wrote:I guess interview rounds have been closed (according to SMART FB page), and I was not contacted for one. Does this pretty much cement my chances for getting it at 0? How often do students receive awards sans interview?
Fortunately it doesn't mean much of anything. From what I've read there have been applicants who were not chosen who were called for an interview and applicants who were chosen who did not receive an interview.

guest1549

Post by guest1549 »

my SF told me notifications are pushed back to August IF there are even awards given out this year....

guest200000

Post by guest200000 »

is that an SF that you got an interview from/ one you've just been contacting/ or are you a current smart scholar and heard that from your facility

KanyeGuest

Post by KanyeGuest »

If they don't announce until August, when/how are they doing security clearances? I am spending a semester abroad in the Fall, how would I go about applying for one if I would need to during that period? (on the off chance I am given an award)