Adding a PhD

General Discussion for SMART Scholarship Recipients

Adding a PhD

Post by Guest »

I am considering applying for SMART for my PHd after I complete my BS/MS. Can someone who has done that before explain the process? Since SMART announces so late in the year, I am unsure how I would apply my senior year. I wouldn't hear if I was accepted until after graduation and when I was already supposed to be at my SF as a full time employee.

Phase_3

Re: Adding a PhD

Post by Phase_3 »

If you got accepted with the Air Force (not sure if Army and Navy do the same), there was a program when I was there in '14 and '15 for "acquisition -coded" positions to go to grad school with the Air Force paying the full tuition to any university you're accepted into (although I think they have added a cap now, but it's still pretty large). You just have to choose a field of study that's applicable to your job and get supervisor approval. I was able to take two night classes a semester to get a Master's but I believe they also do for Phd as well as long as it's your first degree that you've applied for through them. Has anyone else taken advantage of this program? I can't remember what it's called. Best part: no commitment payback period.

PhD still in Phase 2

Post by PhD still in Phase 2 »

I took on SMART after finishing my MS and I would recommend not to use them as a funding mechanism for PhD work. You are too valuable and DoD will screw you. Most Profs and Universities will fund you for several years of PhD if you are good researcher. If you are determined to take SMART for PhD work then only take a 1-2 year commitment. A long multi-year commitment is not good for you or your SF.

Just my 2 cents after being stuck in a long multi-year commitment.

Post by Guest »

PhD still in Phase 2 wrote:I took on SMART after finishing my MS and I would recommend not to use them as a funding mechanism for PhD work. You are too valuable and DoD will screw you. Most Profs and Universities will fund you for several years of PhD if you are good researcher. If you are determined to take SMART for PhD work then only take a 1-2 year commitment. A long multi-year commitment is not good for you or your SF.

Just my 2 cents after being stuck in a long multi-year commitment.
Ditto, I did exactly what PhD still in Phase 2 is suggesting and took a 2 year commitment towards the end of my degree (graduated a semester early so its been reduced by half a year even). Things are working out well for me, but only because I was in a good position to take the risk SMART requires. I had a project that was sure to wrap up by the 5-year PhD timeline. I had good faculty around with DoD research lab experience to give me advice on SFs. My group had great funding so taking the SMART award was less about the money and more about the job placement and gaining a security clearance after graduating. It's worth the wait to see if you can do better or worse by taking a SMART scholarship for a PhD.

DifferentGuest

Post by DifferentGuest »

Guest wrote:I am considering applying for SMART for my PHd after I complete my BS/MS. Can someone who has done that before explain the process? Since SMART announces so late in the year, I am unsure how I would apply my senior year. I wouldn't hear if I was accepted until after graduation and when I was already supposed to be at my SF as a full time employee.
I'm a little late to the party, but I want to answer your question. The other responses gave good insight, but in case you want to pursue the SMART extension I want to give you the information.

I received SMART for my BS, and then during my senior year applied to extend it for an MS. What you need to do is:

1) Talk to your supervisor and SF about your intentions. Ultimately they will be part of the award process, so it is good to make sure they approve before you waste any time applying or waiting. They won't be able to give you a definite "yes," but you are mainly checking to make sure it is not a definite "no."

2) In the fall, reapply for the SMART program. As a follow-on candidate you will be required to submit a letter from your supervisor that shows their support for the modification/follow-on award.

3) Wait until award are given out. I checked in with my facility a few weeks are the semi-finalist emails went out to make sure they had recommended me when they got the semifinalist lists. (If they do its more waiting to get the final decision, if they don't you should plan to not get it).

4) Get your award info. I got mine 4 days before I was supposed to graduate, which was late, but the government can't hire you until 6 weeks after your degree is conferred anyway, so there is still plenty of time if it turns out you don't. As a follow-on recipient you will be expected to do an internship the summer after your first award ends and the second begins.

The key throughout the process is to stay in touch your facility so that you can have realistic expectations of which way it is going to go. There is not guarantee you will get the follow-on award even if they support you and later select you, but they can certain stop it entirely.

Degutis

Post by Degutis »

I am considering applying for SMART for my PHd after I complete my BS/MS experts. Can someone who has done that before explain the process? Since SMART announces so late in the year, I am unsure how I would apply my senior year. I wouldn't hear if I was accepted until after graduation and when I was already supposed to be at my SF as a full time employee.
Hello,

What are the requirements to re-apply for the SMART program? I'm planning to finish the second author paper for my PhD. The participant handbook is an old one (dated 2013). And I'm not sure if the info there is valid...

Post by Guest »

Degutis wrote:
I am considering applying for SMART for my PHd after I complete my BS/MS experts. Can someone who has done that before explain the process? Since SMART announces so late in the year, I am unsure how I would apply my senior year. I wouldn't hear if I was accepted until after graduation and when I was already supposed to be at my SF as a full time employee.
Hello,

What are the requirements to re-apply for the SMART program? I'm planning to finish the second author paper for my PhD. The participant handbook is an old one (dated 2013). And I'm not sure if the info there is valid...
They have the 2017 Participant Handbook on their website