temp closed??

Answers to various questions regarding the SMART Scholarship application process. Includes many tips and statistics.
SMARTmom

Re: temp closed??

Post by SMARTmom »

Guest wrote:
guest wrote:I don't know what you all are talking about with this temp closed thing. Every time I log into my application page (the same one I went to when I filled out the application), my password and username work fine and I go to an application overview page that talks about the purpose of SMART etc. on the left side there are green lights but they are next to things like "submit application" and "contact information". I've checked this page periodically and I always get the same result. Could someone explain?

I had a couple interviews that I thought went well and I was called back by the SMART program to see which facility I preferred--hence, I think I have a decent chance. I didn't ask if I was recommended or anything like that because I thought that would be rude/unimpressive (but I could be wrong!).

I hope we hear soon!
If you don't mind let us know what error you get on the award page. Your the first I've read on this board getting a facility preference call this year, which is a really good sign for you!
Seems unusual that no one else reported any calls regarding facility preferences, yet several people have posted that they had multiple interviews.

Post by guest »

If you don't mind let us know what error you get on the award page. Your the first I've read on this board getting a facility preference call this year, which is a really good sign for you!

Okay, thanks for the clarifcation. I tried logging in at https://smart.asee.org/award and got the following:

"Either the email address or the password you entered is incorrect." (with a red background)

I used the same username/password for the application page.

Post by Guest »

guest wrote:

Okay, thanks for the clarifcation. I tried logging in at https://smart.asee.org/award and got the following:

"Either the email address or the password you entered is incorrect." (with a red background)

How long ago did you receive the facility preference phone call?

Post by Guest »

guest wrote:

So there's hope for me after all.

Post by guest »

Has anyone called to get an update?

Post by Guest »

guest wrote:Has anyone called to get an update?
Called earlier today at around 1 and the conversation went something like this.

"Hi, good afternoon. I'm calling to ask if there was any sort of indication that the results might be out today?"

"Sorry, we don't have that information. Everything will be sent out over email."

"Okay, but the last email mentioned early May, so that doesn't mean, like, May 20th right?"

"We don't have that information. Everything will be sent out over email."

littlehope

Post by littlehope »

guest wrote:I don't know what you all are talking about with this temp closed thing. Every time I log into my application page (the same one I went to when I filled out the application), my password and username work fine and I go to an application overview page that talks about the purpose of SMART etc. on the left side there are green lights but they are next to things like "submit application" and "contact information". I've checked this page periodically and I always get the same result. Could someone explain?

I had a couple interviews that I thought went well and I was called back by the SMART program to see which facility I preferred--hence, I think I have a decent chance. I didn't ask if I was recommended or anything like that because I thought that would be rude/unimpressive (but I could be wrong!).

I hope we hear soon!
Would you mind posting details about your preference call on the Thread titled "Preference Calls?" Maybe by posting on this thread others who received similar calls will take notice and also reply. Helpful details might include: date, time, from SMART or ASEE, how the call went down, any email accompanying the call?

NoOneelse

Post by NoOneelse »

How come no one else got a call? Also, are you sure SMART called you and not just the different facilities that interviewed you?

Post by guest »

Is anyone aware of formalities that the DoD might have to take part in after Trump signs the bill? Or will we most likely just be notified immediately after?

littlehope

Post by littlehope »

NoOneelse wrote:How come no one else got a call? Also, are you sure SMART called you and not just the different facilities that interviewed you?
I mean it's possible that either a) others who received a call don't check this forum or b) I'm guessing by the fact they hadn't come across all the discussions about awards pages, similar to this guest who stated they received a call, it's possible others who have received calls haven't read all the threads and don't know that it was even a question being asked

CSMajor

Post by CSMajor »

Still feel like with the amount of us receiving the "Temp Closed" message and multiple interviews, then someone should've received a call.

Post by guest »

It's 5. Not coming today.

Gandalf

Post by Gandalf »

I'm with CSMajor. There hasn't been any other mention of preference calls, and this person was confused what was going on in the first place. And let's not forget the fake "award notification" thread.

Post by guest »

I am the guy who was confused about the "temp closed." My preference call was March 16th. I was called by William Cavenaugh who carries the title "SMART PROGRAM LIAISON." I think he works with the USAF. He emailed and called me somewhere around 11 am(I was in class so he left a message). My caller ID picked up that he was in Texas. I called back and the conversation was very quick. He named the two facilities I had interviewed with and asked if I had spoken with them (so apparantly he didn't know I had interviewed with them). I said yes and then he asked me which of the two facilities I prefered. I told him. Then, he said something like "great, we expect to let you all know by April 7th. That's the goal." I asked him if any other facilities were interested in me and he said something I had a hard time understanding but the effect I got was that he couldn't tell me at all because of some rules or that he couldn't tell me beyond AF because he simply didn't know. Either way, I figured his call was a good sign.

And now I wait. Checking this forum too often as if they are going to let me know via the forum.

SMARTRejectee

Post by SMARTRejectee »

Do anyone know second round works? I mean if we are not recommended by any facility, does that mean we will not even be consider in the second round? It seems to me that the second round is only for those who are recommended but do not receive the award due to budget constraints.

CSMajor

Post by CSMajor »

guest wrote:I am the guy who was confused about the "temp closed." My preference call was March 16th. I was called by William Cavenaugh who carries the title "SMART PROGRAM LIAISON." I think he works with the USAF. He emailed and called me somewhere around 11 am(I was in class so he left a message). My caller ID picked up that he was in Texas. I called back and the conversation was very quick. He named the two facilities I had interviewed with and asked if I had spoken with them (so apparantly he didn't know I had interviewed with them). I said yes and then he asked me which of the two facilities I prefered. I told him. Then, he said something like "great, we expect to let you all know by April 7th. That's the goal." I asked him if any other facilities were interested in me and he said something I had a hard time understanding but the effect I got was that he couldn't tell me at all because of some rules or that he couldn't tell me beyond AF because he simply didn't know. Either way, I figured his call was a good sign.

And now I wait. Checking this forum too often as if they are going to let me know via the forum.
That's awesome news! Congratulations on getting the phone call from the Liaison. But understand that, that phone call wasn't a preference check from the SMART program itself. Also know that if you're getting the incorrect username/pass error you may not be getting awarded. The call was from a liaison who doesn't work directly with the SMART office and was just wanting to know which facility to refer you to within the program. Not necessarily clearing up multiple recommendations within the program itself. I'm sorry to be a buzz kill, but selecting a single preference through him may have hurt your chances because they may have only sent a single recommendation to the program instead of two :(

littlehope

Post by littlehope »

SMARTRejectee wrote:Do anyone know second round works? I mean if we are not recommended by any facility, does that mean we will not even be consider in the second round? It seems to me that the second round is only for those who are recommended but do not receive the award due to budget constraints.
From my understanding, yes only the semi finalists who had a sponsoring facility verify to SMART that they would like to bring on/hire the semifinalist after graduation would have a chance at receiving the award. Now this does not mean that if you didn't get Interviewed you weren't recommended and also even if you did get interview it doesn't mean they recommended you either. They don't have any requirement to tell you ahead of time if they plan to recommend you to SMART or not. But even so, roughly 2/3 of the semifinalist who ARE recommended actually receive the award due to budgeting and also which positions are higher on the priority list for the government to fill. From the recommendations on its completely up to SMART not the SF.

Post by Guest »

CSMajor wrote:
guest wrote:I am the guy who was confused about the "temp closed." My preference call was March 16th. I was called by William Cavenaugh who carries the title "SMART PROGRAM LIAISON." I think he works with the USAF. He emailed and called me somewhere around 11 am(I was in class so he left a message). My caller ID picked up that he was in Texas. I called back and the conversation was very quick. He named the two facilities I had interviewed with and asked if I had spoken with them (so apparantly he didn't know I had interviewed with them). I said yes and then he asked me which of the two facilities I prefered. I told him. Then, he said something like "great, we expect to let you all know by April 7th. That's the goal." I asked him if any other facilities were interested in me and he said something I had a hard time understanding but the effect I got was that he couldn't tell me at all because of some rules or that he couldn't tell me beyond AF because he simply didn't know. Either way, I figured his call was a good sign.

That's awesome news! Congratulations on getting the phone call from the Liaison. But understand that, that phone call wasn't a preference check from the SMART program itself. Also know that if you're getting the incorrect username/pass error you may not be getting awarded. The call was from a liaison who doesn't work directly with the SMART office and was just wanting to know which facility to refer you to within the program. Not necessarily clearing up multiple recommendations within the program itself. I'm sorry to be a buzz kill, but selecting a single preference through him may have hurt your chances because they may have only sent a single recommendation to the program instead of two :(
We heard about another person who got a call from this guy. He does work directly with the SMART office I think, but he deals with the Air Force, so perhaps he only made calls to people recommended by multiple air force facilities and not other ones?

Gandalf

Post by Gandalf »

Mr. Cavenaugh actually posted on the forum awhile ago. It is my understanding that while he is in contact with SMART, he represents only USAF facilities, therefore, again, I am with CSMajor in that the preference call was likely only to distinguish which USAF facility would forward the recommendation. CSMajor, you're a pretty smart feller. Or maybe we're just fart smellers.

Prophet of Regret

Post by Prophet of Regret »

The Great Journey will surge forwards in holy fury.

Avion

Post by Avion »

My award error just switched within the last hour from incorrect username/password to temporarily closed. There's hope!

CSMajor

Post by CSMajor »

Avion wrote:My award error just switched within the last hour from incorrect username/password to temporarily closed. There's hope!
Yessssss! Heres to hoping tomorrow is the day! ((((((((:

Post by guest »

Avion wrote:My award error just switched within the last hour from incorrect username/password to temporarily closed. There's hope!
Assuming it is meaningful (which I also hope it is), congrats!

littlehope

Post by littlehope »

Mine just changed as well!!!!

CSMajor

Post by CSMajor »

Congrats! I guess we can all thank the extended funding for this!!