NDEP Budget Increase!

Answers to various questions regarding the SMART Scholarship application process. Includes many tips and statistics.

NDEP Budget Increase!

Post by Guest »

Good news, all.

https://rules.house.gov/sites/republica ... 20FY17.pdf

The National Defense Education Program (of which SMART is a part of) is receiving a 10 million dollar budget increase, which is a 14% total increase (see page 261). This can only be good news for the number of SMART awards issued.

Re: NDEP Budget Increase!

Post by guest »

If so, people should check to see their status on the "temp closed" and "incorrect username/password" messages :)

Post by Guest »

That's great! I wonder if this will change anything. On the pessimistic side, maybe SMART knew this increase was coming and picked the scholars accordingly but was waiting for it to become official before announcing. On the other hand, maybe that 14% increase is evenly distributed among the programs NDEP funds, in which case we could see around 30 people more get accepted compared to last year's numbers (I computed that number by taking 14% of last year's awardees).

Thursday

Post by Thursday »

Does this mean announcements will be made this week?

anon123

Post by anon123 »

I hope announcements are made this week! Anybody think they will?

BME Guest

Post by BME Guest »

guest wrote:If so, people should check to see their status on the "temp closed" and "incorrect username/password" messages :)
I still get the "incorrect password" for the Award page, then the error message below when I try to login after resetting it.

"We're sorry, but something went wrong. We've been notified about this issue and we'll take a look at it shortly."

I know that I was at least referred to a SF that I didn't select as part of my top 3 only due to proximity (I'm married with a house) - their PMs collaborate with many of the PIs I do research with and they told me during their visit to our lab.

Post by Guest »

guest wrote:If so, people should check to see their status on the "temp closed" and "incorrect username/password" messages :)
Has anyone's status on the award page actually changed?

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
Has anyone's status on the award page actually changed?
My emotional status changes every time I visit the award page, does that count?

hoping

Post by hoping »

Guest wrote:Good news, all.

https://rules.house.gov/sites/republica ... 20FY17.pdf

The National Defense Education Program (of which SMART is a part of) is receiving a 10 million dollar budget increase, which is a 14% total increase (see page 261). This can only be good news for the number of SMART awards issued.
What is the legislation number on this so we can follow it on congress.gov?