You Can Probably Tell Right Now if You've Gotten the Award

Answers to various questions regarding the SMART Scholarship application process. Includes many tips and statistics.

Re: You Can Probably Tell Right Now if You've Gotten the Awa

Post by Guest »

havecourageandbekind wrote:As someone said on the last forum you don't know which response means yes or which means no. For all we know they reset all the awardees passwords and we cant change it right now so we have no chance of getting in and we have to click some link in offerror emails.

So literally either message could mean either thing. Stop counting people out. It's not over yet.
Except awardees from previous years can still get in. And if you enter gibberish into the username and password boxes, you get the username password error. Why would only people who had been rejected see a "Temporarily closed" error, while any other username password combo gives the incorrect username password error? That's just not how databases work. I'm not trying to be a jerk. I am just telling you that saying "literally either message could mean either thing" is inaccurate.

havecourageandbekind

Post by havecourageandbekind »

Anon1 wrote:
havecourageandbekind wrote:As someone said on the last forum you don't know which response means yes or which means no. For all we know they reset all the awardees passwords and we cant change it right now so we have no chance of getting in and we have to click some link in offerror emails.

So literally either message could mean either thing. Stop counting people out. It's not over yet.
They wouldn't move everyone's account over and only change the passwords of those who are getting it. That makes no sense and would require more work than just migrating awardees.
If you migrate an account to a new website you can easily reset a password during it. They also could have clicked a button and migrated the entire list of finalists if so inclined. Or the other error portal temporarily closed could have nothing to do with your account being there at all. There's a lot of things you can do with people's accounts without too much effort. I'm not saying it's what happened, but it's not out of the question and quite frankly that is my point on being rude and telling people to give up.

At my last internship this happened to me when an account was migrated to a new server - they made our passwords all expire so they were sure we would be able to log in and not have to call IT.

Literally nothing is a garentee with any of this. I'm not right bexause no one is right. This is literally all speculation based on other years and personal opinion. And temporarily closing some people's accounts is a lot of effort on their end too. Especially when current awardees can get into the system. Also obviously random letters give you wrong user name and password because that will always be the wrong username??

I'm literally just pointing out that telling people to stop being well wishers is rude. You have no more proof than anyone else as to if you got it or not.

Post by Guest »

havecourageandbekind wrote:
Anon1 wrote:

They wouldn't move everyone's account over and only change the passwords of those who are getting it. That makes no sense and would require more work than just migrating awardees.
If you migrate an account to a new website you can easily reset a password during it. They also could have clicked a button and migrated the entire list of finalists if so inclined. Or the other error portal temporarily closed could have nothing to do with your account being there at all. There's a lot of things you can do with people's accounts without too much effort. I'm not saying it's what happened, but it's not out of the question and quite frankly that is my point on being rude and telling people to give up.

At my last internship this happened to me when an account was migrated to a new server - they made our passwords all expire so they were sure we would be able to log in and not have to call IT.

Literally nothing is a garentee with any of this. I'm not right bexause no one is right. This is literally all speculation based on other years and personal opinion. And temporarily closing some people's accounts is a lot of effort on their end too. Especially when current awardees can get into the system. Also obviously random letters give you wrong user name and password because that will always be the wrong username??

I'm literally just pointing out that telling people to stop being well wishers is rude. You have no more proof than anyone else as to if you got it or not.
Yeah, because last year people got access to their award letters early. I have no doubt they want to make sure that doesn't happen again.

Anon5

Post by Anon5 »

The error messages are both meaningful and indicative of first rounds and every piece of evidence we have at our disposal indicates that.

I'll eat leather if I'm wrong.

havecourageandbekind

Yeah, because last year people got access to their award letters early. I have no doubt they want to make sure that doesn't happen again.
Yeah for sure!! honestly they probably did temporarily shut off all access to new accounts. But like I said they could have easily transfered all of the people info to the new system and then will go through and clicked delete. Sometimes it's easier than making entirely new list. They've done this so much and no one really knows how they move the applicants to the new system. so I'm nother saying that the password thing is likely or the easiest, but it's not out of the question.

It depends on the level of tech savvy their migrators have/if it's all computerized etc.

I'm not saying its not indicative of something Anon5, I'm just saying you can't be sure that it's indicative of if it's a yes or a no. I've worked for the government and have learned to always believe the opposite of whats expected until you learn otherwise. That way youre prepared for either. My personal example government shutdowns may seem immanent, assume they won't happen and you're screwed if they do, assume they will happen and you lose a lot of time and energy on preparing if they don't. My boss had gone through 3, so we talked through the plans and didn't put any energy into it until 8 am the day the shutdown could have happened. We were told at noon that day and could have easily responded either way.

That's how I feel right now. imagine how people would feel if this assumed answer goes the opposite way. I'm prepared to not get it and it's no big deal, but I'm still planning as though I might get it...especially if I were to get a second round offer in the summer.

Nope nope nope

Post by Nope nope nope »

Then why are more people getting incorrect user name and pass than the other message and why wouldn't they just reset everyone's password?

havecourageandbekind

Nope nope nope wrote:Then why are more people getting incorrect user name and pass than the other message and why wouldn't they just reset everyone's password?
I have no idea, I'm just speculating. Just like everyone else in the forum.

I also felt the other one had a lot of people getting temp closed errors not password errors. Either way I read up on it a while back and at this point, any semi finalist has pretty close to a 50/50 chance. Not exactly but it's not exorbitantly more that get rejected.

Also as said before people who check the forums more might have more interest in the scholarship and that could mean the deck is stacked that this forum will have more winners than losers. Again either direction if the errors are indicative of something.

Guest147

Post by Guest147 »

Nope nope nope wrote:Then why are more people getting incorrect user name and pass than the other message and why wouldn't they just reset everyone's password?
Selection bias

Previous Year

Post by Previous Year »

Can a winner from the previous year who saw the message let us know if you were able to change your password at the time? That might give us an indication of what's going on.

Post by Guest »

Previous Year wrote:Can a winner from the previous year who saw the message let us know if you were able to change your password at the time? That might give us an indication of what's going on.
It will still be a lot of speculation even based off of someone who has won before. New workers, new technology, new president etc. Still interested so please do share!

ItIsWhatItIs

Post by ItIsWhatItIs »

Here's an outline of everything I have gathered from this argument:
Past:
Awards were made available on the award portal before award letters were sent out. A few select people were able to actually view their awards before SMART caught wind of it, and closed it down. When it was closed, those who saw their award were given the "temporarily closed" message while those who had "incorrect password" continued to have the same message of "incorrect password". When awards were sent out, to no surprise, those with the "temporarily closed" message received awards.
Now:
SMART, learning from previous mistakes, has again implemented the closed message of "temporarily closed" so those with awards cannot see the award before official awards are sent out. Passwords, as it seems, cannot be changed by a candidate with either message, which virtually indicates nothing in favor of either side of the debate. For those with the temporarily closed message, you are likely just making it more difficult to accept your award when they are finally sent out. There is no doubt that all of our assumptions could be wrong, but there is no sense in arguing or attempting to disprove the theory when the process is only being made more difficult for ourselves and for SMART. To those of you with the "temp closed" message, be satisfied that you can be confident in your status as a candidate that will more than likely receive an award. To those of you with the "inc password" message, there is no meaningful way to disprove the history behind this, given that SMART is likely operating in the same way as last year, so the only remedy is patience and chance that we may all be wrong. The argument itself only serves to add to the already abundant anxiety of those who really want the award.

RGuest

Post by RGuest »

ItIsWhatItIs wrote:Here's an outline of everything I have gathered from this argument:
Past:
Awards were made available on the award portal before award letters were sent out. A few select people were able to actually view their awards before SMART caught wind of it, and closed it down. When it was closed, those who saw their award were given the "temporarily closed" message while those who had "incorrect password" continued to have the same message of "incorrect password". When awards were sent out, to no surprise, those with the "temporarily closed" message received awards.
Now:
SMART, learning from previous mistakes, has again implemented the closed message of "temporarily closed" so those with awards cannot see the award before official awards are sent out. Passwords, as it seems, cannot be changed by a candidate with either message, which virtually indicates nothing in favor of either side of the debate. For those with the temporarily closed message, you are likely just making it more difficult to accept your award when they are finally sent out. There is no doubt that all of our assumptions could be wrong, but there is no sense in arguing or attempting to disprove the theory when the process is only being made more difficult for ourselves and for SMART. To those of you with the "temp closed" message, be satisfied that you can be confident in your status as a candidate that will more than likely receive an award. To those of you with the "inc password" message, there is no meaningful way to disprove the history behind this, given that SMART is likely operating in the same way as last year, so the only remedy is patience and chance that we may all be wrong. The argument itself only serves to add to the already abundant anxiety of those who really want the award.
We all just need to be patient now,and understand that while we do have evidence to fall back on, nothing is confirmed. For those who are getting the incorrect username password error, nothing is finalized. We still don't know when exactly SMART is announcing the awards. So never lose hope. Everyone here who has been reading these posts are all very qualified candidates and should be proud of ourselves for getting this far. Let's end the speculation for the next few days and wait. By noe, you're either of the mindset of the error messages mean something or they don't. So try and ease your anxiety and stop trying to take away hope from others. This forum is here to offer insight and advice, let's try and keep it so.

YouAreAllGreat

Post by YouAreAllGreat »

If anything this just shows how much this awards means to everyone. You are all very qualified, and I hope the best for everyone. Lets just forget the speculation for now and wait.