Award Portal Temporarily Closed

Answers to various questions regarding the SMART Scholarship application process. Includes many tips and statistics.
Guest147596790

Re: Award Portal Temporarily Closed

Post by Guest147596790 »

Tacos123 wrote:My theory is that they've moved 99% if not 100% of the people who are getting first rounds to the award portal and are waiting until most likely Thursday or maybe Friday to release awards.

If someone's error message changes though it's a different game.

What makes you think they've made it so far through the awards list?

Tacos123

Post by Tacos123 »

Guest147596790 wrote:
Tacos123 wrote:My theory is that they've moved 99% if not 100% of the people who are getting first rounds to the award portal and are waiting until most likely Thursday or maybe Friday to release award

In previous years with a telegraphing error it wasn't a gradual process but a sort of binary change.

I think they've had their picks for a while now and are just waiting for a guarantee of funding while resolving last minute conflict.

Guest147596790

Post by Guest147596790 »

Tacos123 wrote:
Guest147596790 wrote:
Tacos123 wrote:My theory is that they've moved 99% if not 100% of the people who are getting first rounds to the award portal and are waiting until most likely Thursday or maybe Friday to release award

In previous years with a telegraphing error it wasn't a gradual process but a sort of binary change.

I think they've had their picks for a while now and are just waiting for a guarantee of funding while resolving last minute conflict.
It seems to me that there were a few people who reported initially having the username/password error and then later getting a different error (no one in previous years seems to be getting the same error we're getting). Also, SMART was aware of the error with the award portal last year and sent out an email addressing the issue. I'm somewhat skeptical that they would leave the same loophole open this year.

Post by Guest »

Can someone from last year verify the email sent last year and possibly even post it so we can all see what it says?

Also, again going back to the main point, why would we have accounts on the awards site if we didn't have a good chance of being awarded?

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:Can someone from last year verify the email sent last year and possibly even post it so we can all see what it says?

Also, again going back to the main point, why would we have accounts on the awards site if we didn't have a good chance of being awarded?
The emails that were sent out last year was because people were able to access their actual acceptance letters early. It wasn't because of database errors like the ones we are currently getting (although those did come later).

Post by Guest »

So it makes perfect sense that they would just close the awards portal during this time so that people can't see their acceptance letters early. It doesn't stop us from being able to log in though.

Post by guest »

To add further fuel to this speculation, I have talked with a SMART recipient from a previous year and that person has access to the normal award page as would be expected. Take that for what it's worth.

Post by guest »

guest wrote:To add further fuel to this speculation, I have talked with a SMART recipient from a previous year and that person has access to the normal award page as would be expected. Take that for what it's worth.
Can you elaborate on what you mean exactly?

Post by Guest »

I think at this point it's safe to assume if you're getting the "Temp Closed" message you are probably getting an award.

So my speculation is -- The awards page isn't closed and it never was. Since SMART has to migrate the accounts of the winners over they don't want us to access our award letters/info early so they're disabling it temporarily for us. Which means that, this is their fix for what was happening last year. So I would say that if you get the incorrect username/pass error then you don't have an account on the awards site (Not yet awarded). If you are getting the "temp closed" error then you have an account (Possibly awarded?).

Post by Guest »

Did anyone try changing their password and also get the sorry something went wrong error? I feel like now IDK if I'll have portal closed or if my password actually updated/never updated!

Post by Guest »

Yeah I've already tried and it allowed me to. (On the awards page)

Post by guest »

I also tried changing my password and received an error after entering my new password

Post by guest »

guest wrote:I also tried changing my password and received an error after entering my new password
Same here

Post by guest »

I tried to change my password and was emailed a link to the page to do so. I successfully reset my password, but when I went to use the new one, it did not work and produced the original, red "incorrect un/pw" message. This is for both the award page and the application both of which I cannot access. Before this I was receiving the green "portal temporarily closed" message.

Post by Guest »

guest wrote:I tried to change my password and was emailed a link to the page to do so. I successfully reset my password, but when I went to use the new one, it did not work and produced the original, red "incorrect un/pw" message. This is for both the award page and the application both of which I cannot access. Before this I was receiving the green "portal temporarily closed" message.
I think there might literally be something wrong with the award portal and just all of our accounts in general. Not saying that it doesn't also have something to do with if you got moved over or not for an award. But there seems to be some glitches.

My original password still works on the application. It gave me the error when I tried to change it so I assume it never changed.

BME Guest

Post by BME Guest »

guest wrote:I tried to change my password and was emailed a link to the page to do so. I successfully reset my password, but when I went to use the new one, it did not work and produced the original, red "incorrect un/pw" message. This is for both the award page and the application both of which I cannot access. Before this I was receiving the green "portal temporarily closed" message.
Our results are slightly different. I just attempted to reset my password, too, and got the email, but once I tried to login with my new password, I got a different message from what you received. I copied-and-pasted the resulting page error below (line insertions are mine):

-----------------------------
<%= favicon_link_tag 'favicon.ico' %>
We're sorry, but something went wrong.

We've been notified about this issue and we'll take a look at it shortly.
------------------------------

Thoughts, anyone?

BME Guest

Post by BME Guest »

Correction (regarding my last).

I think our results are/were essentially the same, as when I return the portal to login with my "reset" password, I DO get the red error bar:

"Either the email address or the password you entered is incorrect."

Tacos123

Post by Tacos123 »

I think it's safe to say that your original error message changing your password is true to your award. If you get incorrect pw, no award for you, if you get the not available at this time error, you got the award.

Post by Guest »

Maybe someone should call SMART and ask what it means?

Guest150

Post by Guest150 »

Guest wrote:Maybe someone should call SMART and ask what it means?
SMART will simply tell you that any errors you get now are meaningless and that awards are coming out in May.

Both of which may be untrue.

Post by guest »

I did. They said there is "no underlining meaning" and "we don't understand why that's happening."
Personally, I think that's just what someone's told them to say if someone asks. They've never been good at providing information.

Guest 150

Post by Guest 150 »

guest wrote:
I did. They said there is "no underlining meaning" and "we don't understand why that's happening."
Personally, I think that's just what someone's told them to say if someone asks. They've never been good at providing information.
If they say there is no underlying meaning there is absolutely an underlying meaning and we can be more certain than ever that the error messages are meaningful.

DataBases

Post by DataBases »

Anyone with a basic understand of databases will know that isn't the truth. They use two separate databases for the candidates and the awardees. Database entries don't magically move from one database to another. They must manually be moved over. The "we don't understand why that's happening" excuse is invalid unless there is a hacker going through and switching entries. I don't know what it means, but look at it this way. Candidates are getting their profiles manually (purposefully) moved into a new database that is only meant for awardees.

Post by Guest »

I have the temp closed message And I'm pretty sure I'm not going to be awarded.

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:I have the temp closed message And I'm pretty sure I'm not going to be awarded.
Why do you say that? Really any semi-finalist has a chance of being awarded. We all made it past the first threshold for a reason.