Hired through Pathways after applying for SMART

Answers to various questions regarding the SMART Scholarship application process. Includes many tips and statistics.

Hired through Pathways after applying for SMART

Post by Guest »

I'm still waiting to hear back on SMART, but, since completing my SMART application, I received and accepted an offer for an internship through the pathways program for this coming summer at one of the USAF facilities I listed on my SMART application.

Does anyone have any experience with a situation like this?

Is there anything I should be doing, or considering before I hear back about the scholarship?

Would this affect my ability to receive the scholarship, or complete the internship?

Would it be better to wait and find out the results and if offered a scholarship, worry about the details then?

Thank You!

eruwaedhiel

Re: Hired through Pathways after applying for SMART

Post by eruwaedhiel »

I'm pretty sure internships for this summer would be unaffected by SMART.

Post by Guest »

If you receive SMART you begin to get funding 8/1 so I think anything before that (including your Pathways internship) would be at your discretion, as long as your sight visit over the summer still happened.

Post by Guest »

The issue with pathways is you're going to be expected to stay at the facility do rotations and eventually be hired full time. I would still take the offer, but when accepting mention the scholarship might be coming your way but you do not know. That way if you only join them this summer for a rotation it won't come as a complete suprise.

Post by Guest »

I am in a similar situation. I was in Pathways last year and am scheduled to start back up May 15th. I am curious as to how this could interfere if I get into SMART because I would likely get into the SF that I interned at with Pathways.

Post by guest »

Based on my similar experience, you will be fine for both your internship and SMART. The only issue is that you will have to officially resign from your internship position by 8/1, as that is when you officially join SMART and you can't be a part of both SMART and Pathways. So besides a truncated internship period, everything else should be normal.

Post by Guest »

If it's the same facility than I wouldn't even worry about it. If it's not, just realized youre giving up your full time position at that facility. So if you are working at a non-DoD facility realize you are giving up the option to work there until after your duties to your SF are through. Not a huge deal though I would take the scholarship over pathways because you'll be a civil servant it's pretty easy to transfer over to another organization.