Register as pursuing a MA or PhD?

Answers to various questions regarding the SMART Scholarship application process. Includes many tips and statistics.
aqzws

Register as pursuing a MA or PhD?

Post by aqzws »

Hi all

(1) I am a first-year student in a joint MA/PhD program and was wondering if I select I am pursuing a "MA" or "PhD"?

(2) As a first-year student, would I put my undergraduate GPA or my anticipated first semester GPA?

Thanks

kbl2017

Re: Register as pursuing a MA or PhD?

Post by kbl2017 »

1)Apply for your highest degree level you'll have before your planned full time work start date. Also request the scholarship for the entire duration, don't expect an extension.

You get a slightly higher stipend if you're a PhD and it will change your starting salary.

2) I would put the undergrad one as you'll be asked to submit a transcript if I remember correctly. I think they also asked for a current semester one so they will end up with both.

aqzws

Re: Register as pursuing a MA or PhD?

Post by aqzws »

kbl2017 wrote:1)Apply for your highest degree level you'll have before your planned full time work start date. Also request the scholarship for the entire duration, don't expect an extension.

You get a slightly higher stipend if you're a PhD and it will change your starting salary.

2) I would put the undergrad one as you'll be asked to submit a transcript if I remember correctly. I think they also asked for a current semester one so they will end up with both.
Thank you! #2 is a little disappointing since my first semester GPA as a graduate student will be 4.0 while my undergraduate degree GPA was only 3.29. But I think my research and experiences will carry my application so it should be fine.