Request Award Length Increase

General Discussion for SMART Scholarship Recipients
hokie06

Request Award Length Increase

Post by hokie06 »

I'm putting in a request with SMART to allow me to finish my thesis during the first summer semester next year. I was wondering if people had advice on how to write the personal letter/who to address.

JDetwiler

Re: Request Award Length Increase

Post by JDetwiler »

That's something you do on the portal to make an award change request, since they'd have to modify your service agreement contract.

My experience: they don't like extensions.
I'm a Phase 2 recipient, B.S. in Computer Science, B.S. in Math from Virginia Tech Dec. 2019. I've been with SMART since Spring 2017; Dahlgren is my SF.

Don't walk, run away from SMART (see my first post on this forum).

ttdub

Post by ttdub »

Heads up, they approved a 1 year extension for me but it took 10 months. Plan for a long wait!

Xristos_317

Post by Xristos_317 »

I tend to avoid the Portal at all costs. The new one is better, but it's still pretty useless.

You'll eventually need to complete a SAAR (SMART Agreement Amendment Request) with your military branch coordinator (e.g. Navy). I'm under the impression you can request extensions, but not reductions to your scholarship funding (which was not the case when I joined the program).

It seems like they'd like you tied down for another year, but it does require changing your arrival / "head count" to the next fiscal year.

I will possibly need to do this as well, so good luck to you!