Volunteer CAC

General Discussion for SMART Scholarship Recipients
ky502

Volunteer CAC

Post by ky502 »

Does anyone else receive a CAC and email address marked volunteer during their internship? If so, do you have issues with it? If not, what type of CAC do you have?

I was originally given a volunteer CAC on my last internship but I couldn’t get computer access and base security did not like my use of the card to consistently access base. Eventually they gave me a civilian CAC.

For this summers internship, they refused to give me anything other than a volunteer CAC.

Guest1234

Re: Volunteer CAC

Post by Guest1234 »

ky502 wrote:Does anyone else receive a CAC and email address marked volunteer during their internship? If so, do you have issues with it? If not, what type of CAC do you have?

I was originally given a volunteer CAC on my last internship but I couldn’t get computer access and base security did not like my use of the card to consistently access base. Eventually they gave me a civilian CAC.

For this summers internship, they refused to give me anything other than a volunteer CAC.
As a recrtiment candidate, I got a contractor CAC, however they gave me the same access rights as a civilian. As a retention candidate, I am keeping my civilian CAC.

Yuuuuuuupppp

Post by Yuuuuuuupppp »

So I’m in week 7 (of 10) of my internship and a few other scholars here at the same SF are in week 9 (of 12) and we JUST got CACs like last week. They are volunteer CACs and we can’t use them to get on base. I didn’t get network access until yesterday and am still waiting on getting access to my department’s project folders and stuff. Since we don’t have real CACs, some of us aren’t even technically supposed to be in our buildings because they are extra restricted. It’s a mess.

jesse

Post by jesse »

My SF gave me a contractor CAC which I believe is what you are supposed to get. They can approve it for you by considering you an "independent contractor" - i.e. self employed

texag

Post by texag »

I interned last summer at JBSA and it took them a butt long time to get cards to the interns. I was with a bunch of PCIP interns and they got full civilian cards because they were actually getting paid by the installation.

It took me a few weeks longer than them to get a volunteer card, which was irritating to say the least. Network access followed a week or so later, so for my 11 weeks, I had access to the computers for maybe 3 of those weeks. My card, of course, didn't get me on base and I had the other interns with me sponsor me after my first visitor pass expired.

However, the SMART handbook explicitly states that scholars are to be issued CACs for network access and installation entrance privileges. I encourage anyone who is annoyed at their volunteer card to fight for their right for a real card. Get your liaison and mentor involved. This still makes me mad a year later.
2017 Cohort|BS Civil Eng.|Project Management @ JBSA

ky502

Post by ky502 »

texag wrote:I interned last summer at JBSA and it took them a butt long time to get cards to the interns. I was with a bunch of PCIP interns and they got full civilian cards because they were actually getting paid by the installation.

It took me a few weeks longer than them to get a volunteer card, which was irritating to say the least. Network access followed a week or so later, so for my 11 weeks, I had access to the computers for maybe 3 of those weeks. My card, of course, didn't get me on base and I had the other interns with me sponsor me after my first visitor pass expired.

However, the SMART handbook explicitly states that scholars are to be issued CACs for network access and installation entrance privileges. I encourage anyone who is annoyed at their volunteer card to fight for their right for a real card. Get your liaison and mentor involved. This still makes me mad a year later.
My SF will not give out any other than volunteer CAC, as the regulations list A VolCAC as the appropriate form of ID for interns. I got my liaison involved, but it was decided that it was ultimately the SF's call on what kind of ID I get. I have a visitors pass for the duration of my internship.

Camo_the_Argo

Post by Camo_the_Argo »

I was assigned a "Federal Affiliate" CAC. It's neither the contractor (no green stripe), nor the civilian badge. No one had ever seen one before.

Vandal

Post by Vandal »

Mine is a "Volunteer" card, it doesn't even have my picture on the front like the CAC cards normally do. But it does work with the security systems and lets me get access to the computers so its only difference is appearance really.