Travel Delays

General Discussion for SMART Scholarship Recipients
codeToad

Travel Delays

Post by codeToad »

My site visit is two days, and starts tomorrow. However, a delay in my flight will prevent me from getting there untill about the end of the first day's activities. Appart from sending an email to try and warn them, is there anything I can/should do?

Re: Travel Delays

Post by reply »

did your SF arrange your travel for you? if so, they may be able to move you to a sooner flight. definitely email/call your point of contact about this

you can also call the airline's customer service department and tell them you have an extremely important work trip and the delays are now causing you to miss over half of it, and that you need to be moved onto a sooner flight.

TinkerScholar

Post by TinkerScholar »

We had people last year that came midday to our site visit at Tinker and it wasn’t a problem. You can’t control the flights, don’t worry about it! Have a good visit & safe travels.

codeToad

Post by codeToad »

Thanks for the quick response. I arranged for travel on my own. While my airline was no help, but I was able to find a flight from another airline that should get have gottne me there on time. That fell apart when all remaining flights out of town were cancelled. Now, I am even deeper in trouble than before. At this point, it is impossible to get there in time. Now it is a struggle to get there at all.

travel

Post by travel »

codeToad wrote:Thanks for the quick response. I arranged for travel on my own. While my airline was no help, but I was able to find a flight from another airline that should get have gottne me there on time. That fell apart when all remaining flights out of town were cancelled. Now, I am even deeper in trouble than before. At this point, it is impossible to get there in time. Now it is a struggle to get there at all.

Contact your SF point of contact, and the SMART Scholarship office. They can reschedule the visit

codeToad

Post by codeToad »

While I am missing the first day of lab tours, I will be there to meet the organization. More importantly, I finally got a phone call with my POC and was able to explain the situation. As one would hope, I am not being held to blame for a canceled flight. Assuming today's flight doesn't have any problems, everything should be fine (more or less). Thank you for your advice on all of this, especially TinkerScholar. Knowing that this type of thing has happened to other people helped me calm down amidst the chaos.

TinkerScholar

Post by TinkerScholar »

You’re welcome! I think we even had people come a separate weekend last year. Our coordinator (a sweet lady but disorganized at times) is pretty laid back with things. Seriously, I’m a panicking spaz about everything most of the time and it’s all worked out one way or another. I hope you like it!