Changing Majors?

General Discussion for SMART Scholarship Recipients
chipstah

Changing Majors?

Post by chipstah »

I applied as a Computer Science Major, but since I'm a freshman engineering student I don't have to decide until the end of this year. I'm thinking of switching to Mechanical Engineering. Would I be immediately disqualified if I told them that I was planning on switching?

Note: I am planning to minor in Computer Science if that helps!

ChangingMajors

Re: Changing Majors?

Post by ChangingMajors »

chipstah wrote:I applied as a Computer Science Major, but since I'm a freshman engineering student I don't have to decide until the end of this year. I'm thinking of switching to Mechanical Engineering. Would I be immediately disqualified if I told them that I was planning on switching?

Note: I am planning to minor in Computer Science if that helps!
What will happen is you'll get accepted or rejected based on the major in your original application. You can then submit a form to SMART to request a change in the award. You will not be automatically disqualified, it will be up to your sponsoring facility if they approve. This would vary place to place, but mechanical engineering isn't a niche thing, so my guess is most places would let you switch. If they do not allow it, you will still have the choice to continue with CS if the scholarship is more important to you then switching.

2018 Rec

Re: Changing Majors?

Post by 2018 Rec »

This is late but you better check with them before you accept this! I think while you're in phase 0 it is a little easier to change, but to change after you're in phase one requires a letter of support from your SF. The SMART Program makes flexibility difficult because you are assigned to a division, and that division may not want you to do Mech E.

If you accept without knowing, you run the risk of having to either withdraw from the program (which isnt bad before phase 1 but gets rough during phase 1) or sticking with Comp Sci.

best of luck