Suing SMART

General Discussion for SMART Scholarship Recipients
arbiter

Suing SMART

Post by arbiter »

This summer I've been denied for the second time an internship. I was denied last summer too. The reason is because of failure to obtain security clearance.

I feel that SMART isn't really living up to its side of the deal (I'm getting no experience even though I was promised internships during my education).

Can I leave the program and sue/use some legal power to avoid paying the full amount back? After all, it feels they haven't lived up to their side of the deal.

Logical

Re: Suing SMART

Post by Logical »

If you fail to get a security clearance that's on you. There's nothing SMART can do. I know at the location I work at if you don't have a clearance you can't work.

arbiter

Post by arbiter »

I also need a secret clearance to work at my facility.
What ends up happening if you can't get one?

HardFacts

Post by HardFacts »

arbiter wrote:I also need a secret clearance to work at my facility.
What ends up happening if you can't get one?
Check the current handbook, I think it is in there. My copy of the handbook from a few years ago states it is your responsibility to be eligible for a clearance and that if you fail to get a clearance you are dismissed from the program.

It is not explicit if you would have to pay back the debt or not. I think it would depend on exactly why you couldn't get a clearance and when you reasonably should have known this would cause an issue, but ask SMART if you are concerned.

Also, this might have changed because this handbook is from before LMI made you get a clearance through your SF vs them. I doubt it changed much, since a clearance is a pretty standard requirement for working for the DoD.

HardFacts

Post by HardFacts »

Also, if you were only denied a preliminary clearance, it is entire possible you'll be granted your full clearance once the check is complete. Then you'll be free work work off the commitment. Not getting the full clearance is what would get you dismissed.

malarious

Post by malarious »

You already heard back on your interim clearance for summer? Or was your full clearance denied?