AFSC

General Discussion for SMART Scholarship Recipients
CassM

AFSC

Post by CassM »

Has anyone been recruited for the Air Force Sustainment Center?

I'm an EE major who has been recruited for them and I'm just curious about the type of work I am to expect. I saw a thread about the AFLCMC, but I haven't seen anything regarding the AFSC. Any information would be helpful.

Thanks!

SmartLCMC

Re: AFSC

Post by SmartLCMC »

With its headquarters at Tinker Air Force Base, Okla., The Air Force Sustainment Center is one of six specialized centers assigned to the Air Force Materiel Command. The mission of the Air Force Sustainment Center is to provide sustainment and logistics readiness to deliver combat power for America. The center consists of professional Airmen delivering globally integrated, agile logistics and sustainment. The AFSC incorporates a headquarters element, three air logistics complexes, three air base wings, two supply chain wings and multiple remote operating locations incorporating more than 35,000 military and civilian personnel and Air Force contractors The center oversees installation support to more than 75,000 personnel working in 141 associate units at the three AFSC bases. The bases also support a combined total of more than 125,000 military retirees and their families.
See here:
http://www.afsc.af.mil/Units/

At an air force sustainment center, you will likely find yourself working for an AFLCMC group. No matter what, there will no be research, no R&D, no real engineering. The work you will find yourself doing is largely as others (and myself) have described and will not be overly technical.

What location recruited you? I may be able to provide some insight. Did you do your site visit yet?

CassM

Post by CassM »

SmartLCMC wrote:
With its headquarters at Tinker Air Force Base, Okla., The Air Force Sustainment Center is one of six specialized centers assigned to the Air Force Materiel Command. The mission of the Air Force Sustainment Center is to provide sustainment and logistics readiness to deliver combat power for America. The center consists of professional Airmen delivering globally integrated, agile logistics and sustainment. The AFSC incorporates a headquarters element, three air logistics complexes, three air base wings, two supply chain wings and multiple remote operating locations incorporating more than 35,000 military and civilian personnel and Air Force contractors The center oversees installation support to more than 75,000 personnel working in 141 associate units at the three AFSC bases. The bases also support a combined total of more than 125,000 military retirees and their families.
See here:
http://www.afsc.af.mil/Units/

At an air force sustainment center, you will likely find yourself working for an AFLCMC group. No matter what, there will no be research, no R&D, no real engineering. The work you will find yourself doing is largely as others (and myself) have described and will not be overly technical.

What location recruited you? I may be able to provide some insight. Did you do your site visit yet?
I was recruited by Robins AFB and my site visit won't be until mid-July.

SmartLCMC

Post by SmartLCMC »

Since you're an EE, there's a chance you could end up working for either the 402nd or a AFLCMC group.

Most EEs there are not designing circuits. They tend to employ EEs in programming roles in SMXG (software maintenance group). Programming tasks are pretty basic. There is an EMXG (electronics maintenance group), but I believe they do mostly maintenance - they're not known for "organic" design work.

Being employed with the 402nd probably offers the best opportunity to do something semi-technical - certainly more so than any AFLCMC group. I'd caution you though that the work is not that overly technical and that every SMART scholar that I knew that was employed with the 402nd is no longer there.

Let us know what you find out.