2018 SMART Awardees

Answers to various questions regarding the SMART Scholarship application process. Includes many tips and statistics.
AeroGuest

Re: 2018 SMART Awardees

Post by AeroGuest »

benhjake wrote:
GuEsT0102 wrote:Congrats everyone!

I'm a BSEE student. SF is the U.S. Army Space and Missile Defense Technical Center in Redstone Arsenal, AL.
Hi fellow Redstone Arsenal awardee! My SF is the Missile and Space Intelligence Center (MISC), also in Redstone Arsenal. Congratulations to everyone who got the award, and good luck to everyone waiting to hear about the second round.
Congrats! If you don't mind me asking, what is your major. I'm heading into my first year of my Aerospace PhD and MSIC was one of my top choices. Unfortunately I didn't get the award.

BYU-I Awardee

Post by BYU-I Awardee »

I just got an award and my sponsoring facility is Hill AFB in UT. No interview from them and I'm a BS EE student.

AnotherGuest

Post by AnotherGuest »

AeroGuest wrote:
benhjake wrote:

I'm a BSEE student. SF is the U.S. Army Space and Missile Defense Technical Center in Redstone Arsenal, AL.
Hi fellow Redstone Arsenal awardee! My SF is the Missile and Space Intelligence Center (MISC), also in Redstone Arsenal. Congratulations to everyone who got the award, and good luck to everyone waiting to hear about the second round.
Congrats! If you don't mind me asking, what is your major. I'm heading into my first year of my Aerospace PhD and MSIC was one of my top choices. Unfortunately I didn't get the award.
I received an offer from MSIC as an Aerospace Master's student. Though I didn't get matched with them because they put in a list of multiple names and another SF put me down as their only choice. I was paired with the SF that only "wanted" one specific student. Whether it is a good match or not doesn't seem to matter.

Guest1

Post by Guest1 »

Hi Guys!

I found out I was awarded the scholarship. At the time I applied, I requested funding for a PhD since my university was going to admit me into the MS/PhD Program once I graduate with my bachelors this May and enter in the second half of the BS/MS. I applied for funding for the full PhD duration but would like to scale it back to just the MS for the time being and apply for a follow on award if set on a PhD. Is this something possible without sacrificing the award? I noticed you can request a change to your award duration but I am not sure if that if for after you accept the award.

Thanks!

SerenityRising

Post by SerenityRising »

I received an award email. My SF is the AFRL Information Directorate in Rome, NY. I am a Computer Engineering student pursuing my bachelors.

benhjake

Post by benhjake »

AeroGuest wrote:
benhjake wrote:

Hi AeroGuest- thank you! I'm an EE major, and I also put down MSIC as my top choice. During my phone interview I believe they said they were mainly searching for EE majors this year (but I'm sure that varies year to year), and that they usually select Masters and PhD students. Best of luck to you in the second round of awards.

synbiolad

Post by synbiolad »

I got an email today saying that I need to accept my award and submit paperwork by the 23rd.

However, I have yet to hear from my sponsoring facility or from the scholarship program besides this. I checked my inboxes, no award notification/rejection letter.

My login info worked for resetting my password on the scholarship portal, but there wasn't anything there for me to really interact with aside from downloading a few forms. Forms that I can't fill out b/c as of yet I don't actually know who is sponsoring me.

So... yay? I think that means I got it but I don't really know what to do from here. Any advice beyond following up with the program?

Guestchris

Post by Guestchris »

Your award letter should be in the dashboard once you log in. If you're having issues, call LMI for guidance.

synbiolad

Post by synbiolad »

Guestchris wrote:Your award letter should be in the dashboard once you log in. If you're having issues, call LMI for guidance.
I will first thing tomorrow. My dashboard is empty for some reason...

synbiolad

Post by synbiolad »

synbiolad wrote:
Guestchris wrote:Your award letter should be in the dashboard once you log in. If you're having issues, call LMI for guidance.
Called LMI, should hopefully be resolved by the end of today. Got placement at ARL-Adelphi!

Guestchris

Post by Guestchris »

synbiolad wrote:
synbiolad wrote:
Called LMI, should hopefully be resolved by the end of today. Got placement at ARL-Adelphi!
Care to share the phone number you used to contact LMI? I was trying to contact them this morning, but I was at work and didn't have time to search for the number

synbiolad

Post by synbiolad »

Guestchris wrote:
synbiolad wrote: Called LMI, should hopefully be resolved by the end of today. Got placement at ARL-Adelphi!
Care to share the phone number you used to contact LMI? I was trying to contact them this morning, but I was at work and didn't have time to search for the number
I called the Army Service Liaison (Jack Meyer) who reached out to me with the reminder email, your's might be different but it should be in the reminder email. The SMART programs official phone number is (571) 633-7940. Also worth emailing smartscholar@lmi.org if you need to communicate with the SMART team (not sure if this is the same as smart@lmi.org). I can PM with Jack Meyer's number if needed.

Post by Guest »

I just received an award despite originally receiving a rejection email! I guess the second wave has begun.

ClinicalNeuroPRISM

Post by ClinicalNeuroPRISM »

Guest wrote:I just received an award despite originally receiving a rejection email! I guess the second wave has begun.
That’s great! Congrats! Can you share your major and facility ? Thanks :)

compengineer

Post by compengineer »

I received my award notification today for my MS in Computer Engineering. Sponsoring facility is SPAWAR Pacific.

Post by Guest »

ClinicalNeuroPRISM wrote:
Guest wrote:I just received an award despite originally receiving a rejection email! I guess the second wave has begun.
That’s great! Congrats! Can you share your major and facility ? Thanks :)
I am majoring in computer science and my facility is CERDEC.

Employee232

Post by Employee232 »

Are the second round notifications coming out today? Anyone have any info on this?

Guest9999

Post by Guest9999 »

It appears that the second round notifications went out around 6pm EST on Friday.

ClinicalNeuroPRISM

Guest9999 wrote:It appears that the second round notifications went out around 6pm EST on Friday.
Darn, so that’s it then ?

EliosHarg

Post by EliosHarg »

Not necessarily. Some people will decline after their site visits. So, SMART will continue trickling out awards into the summer. However,it is likely best for sanity's sake to assume rejection at this point and be pleasantly surprised if an offer comes later.

Also, I am still reading those essays. I wil give feedback soon!

ClinicalNeuroPRISM

EliosHarg wrote:Not necessarily. Some people will decline after their site visits. So, SMART will continue trickling out awards into the summer. However,it is likely best for sanity's sake to assume rejection at this point and be pleasantly surprised if an offer comes later.

Also, I am still reading those essays. I wil give feedback soon!
Okay, good to know. And no worries, take your time. Thanks !!

RoboBronco

Post by RoboBronco »

Late to the ball here (just found the forum), but I am a BS CS major and got assigned to Hanscom AFB working in acquisitions.

omgomg

Post by omgomg »

Just got the award! Can't wait to meet you all!