Graduate early

General Discussion for SMART Scholarship Recipients
Anonn

Graduate early

Post by Anonn »

I was just awarded this Monday! I am in a year round, self paced school, so my tuition doesn't increase per term. This term, I was able to finish more classes than expected, so I would be able to graduate in February '20 instead of May '20 unless I take term breaks. Should I change this information now on my forms or should I plan the term breaks to finish at the same time as the award? I don't want to lose this opportunity. Any advice from past recipients would be appreciated.

AnotherGuest

Re: Graduate early

Post by AnotherGuest »

Anonn wrote:I was just awarded this Monday! I am in a year round, self paced school, so my tuition doesn't increase per term. This term, I was able to finish more classes than expected, so I would be able to graduate in February '20 instead of May '20 unless I take term breaks. Should I change this information now on my forms or should I plan the term breaks to finish at the same time as the award? I don't want to lose this opportunity. Any advice from past recipients would be appreciated.
If you know you can graduate early, see if you can change it now and reduce your commitment. If it won't reduce your commitment, then you can pick whether to change now or later. Definitely talk to SMART about it.

Guest101

Post by Guest101 »

I was in the same situation in that when I applied I listed May 2017 for grad and before signing the offer realized i could pull off December 2016. They updated my service contract almost immediately from 2 years to 1.5 after I filed the amendment request. That was under ASEE but I would imagine it would be the same.

Anonn

Post by Anonn »

Thanks for that information. I was really worried that it would affect me getting the scholarship at all. I will talk with SMART and put in an amendment request. Since its only 3 months, I don't think it will change my service time, but that's ok with me. I'm just really thankful for this scholarship.

Anony

Post by Anony »

I will also graduate early and plan to apply for an amendment request soon. I confirmed with my SMART liaison and she said that once the request is approved, my service commitment will be reduced accordingly.