Who receives the applications at the SF?

Answers to various questions regarding the SMART Scholarship application process. Includes many tips and statistics.
Astrobot96

Who receives the applications at the SF?

Post by Astrobot96 »

Hello,
I made it past the first round, and am waiting on possible interviews. I have a contact at one of the SF's that I selected, and they are trying to figure out where my name/application is going to be sent (like what department). Does anybody have any information about this?

rigs90

Re: Who receives the applications at the SF?

Post by rigs90 »

From my understanding, it varies from facility to facility. I tried contacting one of my preference facilities through a phone number I found on what I thought was the correct department page, but I ended up being referred to about 4 different people, one after the next, until I finally got the right person that took care reviewing applicants.

hellohello

Post by hellohello »

What do you guys normally ask in your email when contacting them? Should I just ask if I can speak to the person who handles SMART applications so that I can learn more about the organization?

OrgChart

Post by OrgChart »

Astrobot96 wrote:Hello,
I made it past the first round, and am waiting on possible interviews. I have a contact at one of the SF's that I selected, and they are trying to figure out where my name/application is going to be sent (like what department). Does anybody have any information about this?
Someone in the facility's HR department is the point of contact for SMART. It may be the same person in charge of Pathways interns (If it is not, the Pathways POC should know who it is).

Applications are received by the SMART POC in HR and then distributed to team leaders. Your contact should ask their team leader (supervisor) about the applications. If the team leader does not know or your contact is a team leader, they should ask HR who the POC for SMART is.

Blondeycas28

Post by Blondeycas28 »

Is it beneficial to contact your preferred SFs if you don't have any contacts there, or just wait until they reach out to you? I don't want to seem pushy by contacting people who have no clue who I am...

kbl2017

Post by kbl2017 »

I personally don't think you should be contacting anyone...unless you already have a connection to your SF i.e. you were a pathways intern there before applying to this scholarship.