Other Internship Conflicts?

Answers to various questions regarding the SMART Scholarship application process. Includes many tips and statistics.
Confused

Other Internship Conflicts?

Post by Confused »

Hey,
So I made it to the semifinalist round and I am now realizing that I might actually be in some trouble. I'm currently waiting on a security clearance for a non-DoD internship in D.C. and I've been told that if my clearance doesn't come through for this Summer than they will want me to instead come in the next summer, which would conflict with starting with a SF on their time frame. In addition I think this other internship wants 2 Summers from me to begin with because of what they're spending on getting the clearance. If I were to somehow get chosen by a SF, what should I do with this other internship? It seems the DoD job would be better for me in the long-game than the other one, but I'm not certain. Any advice would help.

Astrobot96

Re: Other Internship Conflicts?

Post by Astrobot96 »

Okay now I'm confused. I thought the summer internships would start this summer for people that receive the award this April/May. But your questions makes it seem like it would start next summer (i.e summer 2019 if you receive the award in April/May 2018).

mecheng

Post by mecheng »

Confused wrote:Hey,
So I made it to the semifinalist round and I am now realizing that I might actually be in some trouble. I'm currently waiting on a security clearance for a non-DoD internship in D.C. and I've been told that if my clearance doesn't come through for this Summer than they will want me to instead come in the next summer, which would conflict with starting with a SF on their time frame. In addition I think this other internship wants 2 Summers from me to begin with because of what they're spending on getting the clearance. If I were to somehow get chosen by a SF, what should I do with this other internship? It seems the DoD job would be better for me in the long-game than the other one, but I'm not certain. Any advice would help.
I would definitely wait until you know for sure if you are getting the scholarship. Then you just have to decide which one is going to be better for you. If they require you to work at that place since they are getting your clearance, find out what happens if you don't work there for how long they want you to.
Last edited by mecheng on Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mecheng

Post by mecheng »

Astrobot96 wrote:Okay now I'm confused. I thought the summer internships would start this summer for people that receive the award this April/May. But your questions makes it seem like it would start next summer (i.e summer 2019 if you receive the award in April/May 2018).
If you get awarded April/May 2018, you won't start getting funding until August 2018. The first internship would be the summer of 2019.