Electives not necessary in degree completion

General Discussion for SMART Scholarship Recipients
kbl2017

Electives not necessary in degree completion

Post by kbl2017 »

Has any graduate student taken a class just because? It's an engineering communications class that can't be counted towards my degree but I think it something I'd benefit from taking. Will SMART still cover it?

malarious

Re: Electives not necessary in degree completion

Post by malarious »

That.. is a good question. I would assume yes if it does not change your progression. If it would slow down your degree, I assume they would say no. You can always ask to be safe, but generally, more knowledge shouldn't be a bad thing.

Sadly, to be very safe, you should check. I can't see them saying "No, learn less things".

kbl2017

Post by kbl2017 »

malarious wrote:That.. is a good question. I would assume yes if it does not change your progression. If it would slow down your degree, I assume they would say no. You can always ask to be safe, but generally, more knowledge shouldn't be a bad thing.

Sadly, to be very safe, you should check. I can't see them saying "No, learn less things".
It won't slow down my learning, which is good! I actually end up with three extra classes in order to maintain full time every semester. I'll reach out to them via a quick email to make sure since they're already mad at me for accidentally not being full time last semester!! (I was told 6 credits was full time but according to my transcript it was 8..oops lol)

malarious

Post by malarious »

While taking so many extra classes kind of sucks.... being able to take what you want a bit sounds very nice.

If I took 1 extra semester, I could dual major with dual bachelors. They did not want to sign on that, but if my semesters get messed up because of conflicts of schedule, I may take the classes to make it happen!

kbl2017

Post by kbl2017 »

Got a reply saying as long as it doesn't change graduation it's fine! So that's cool. But I suggest anyone else in the same position still asks! (Mostly grad students who pay by credit that is.)