Security Clearance Timing?

General Discussion for SMART Scholarship Recipients
malarious

Security Clearance Timing?

Post by malarious »

Hi All,

I am new to the program this year but have not received anything to apply for security clearance. I was wondering if anyone knows when the codes or paperwork for this is usually processed. I am going abroad for school this weekend, so it will make things a bit messier. Already contacted the SF, they said there was nothing they could do to rush it.

CSMajor

Re: Security Clearance Timing?

Post by CSMajor »

Clearance is supposed to be handled by your SF's security office. I've already received and filled out all my paperwork -.. now I just need to wait for an adjudication. The process is relatively painless, just fingerprints and a questionnaire.

malarious

Post by malarious »

Thanks! Hopefully they can take care of things without much issue while I am out.

Painless is good.

CSMajor

Post by CSMajor »

malarious wrote:Thanks! Hopefully they can take care of things without much issue while I am out.

Painless is good.
My only suggestion is to make sure you get your finger prints done before leaving.

Guest3

Post by Guest3 »

How do they get your fingerprints what is the process?

forensics

Post by forensics »

Guest3 wrote:How do they get your fingerprints what is the process?
I went to the local PD and had them do two fingerprint cards. Then I mailed them in per my SF's instructions. You can do the livescan as well, but I was having problems finding somewhere to do them.

CSMajor

Post by CSMajor »

forensics wrote:
Guest3 wrote:How do they get your fingerprints what is the process?
I went to the local PD and had them do two fingerprint cards. Then I mailed them in per my SF's instructions. You can do the livescan as well, but I was having problems finding somewhere to do them.
I did the same as Forensics.

littlehope

Post by littlehope »

My SF specifically sent me the fingerprint cards, but I'm pretty sure most offices use the same form they sent. It's pretty universal. Just a heads up too my SF wanted two copies (it didn't cost double).
You can get them done at police stations, courthouses, and sometimes a few other state government buildings. My university security office actually offered them, it was even the live scan version rather than ink, for half off what the police department charged if you were a student. So I would check with them if you are at a larger school.

SMART-ish

Post by SMART-ish »

I still haven't heard anything about starting my security clearance process.

My last communication about it was with SMART this summer after my site visit and they said the following:

"Thank you for your email. You will be notified in the coming months what is required of you regarding your clearance process. At this time, there is nothing further required of you for this process.

Please let us know if you have any questions."

That was on June 28...It is now October and I'm not sure if I need to get the ball rolling myself. Also I won't be doing an internship this summer just jumping straight into full time work since I only have one year left on my degree.

Any thoughts or advice from past experiences?

Thanks

CSMajor

Post by CSMajor »

You need to contact your facility to imitate the process. SMART isn’t handling clearances this year. The timeline is pretty long too, I’ve been waiting over a month for my clearance decisions and don’t expect an answer until January or February.
SMART-ish wrote:I still haven't heard anything about starting my security clearance process.

My last communication about it was with SMART this summer after my site visit and they said the following:

"Thank you for your email. You will be notified in the coming months what is required of you regarding your clearance process. At this time, there is nothing further required of you for this process.

That was on June 28...It is now October and I'm not sure if I need to get the ball rolling myself. Also I won't be doing an internship this summer just jumping straight into full time work since I only have one year left on my degree.

Thanks

abm guy

Post by abm guy »

I contacted my SF last week, I was told SMART has started the process with them, and to expect paperwork within a week or two.

SMART-ish

Post by SMART-ish »

SMART-ish wrote:I still haven't heard anything about starting my security clearance process.

Thanks
So I've now contacted both SMART and my SF. SMART told me I need to talk to my SF and my SF told me I need to talk to SMART. So I've basically spent a week going in circles with both of them. Any advice on next moves?

Thanks

CSMajor

Post by CSMajor »

SMART-ish wrote:

Thanks
Ask SMART to get in touch with your facility because they don’t know that they have to handle clearances.

So I've now contacted both SMART and my SF. SMART told me I need to talk to my SF and my SF told me I need to talk to SMART. So I've basically spent a week going in circles with both of them. Any advice on next moves?

Thanks

MechEGirl

Post by MechEGirl »

This is my first and only award year. I have heard nothing regarding the security clearance. Should I be concerned?

kbl2017

Post by kbl2017 »

MechEGirl wrote:This is my first and only award year. I have heard nothing regarding the security clearance. Should I be concerned?
I haven't either - I've been contacted by my SF about other things though so I think they just haven't gotten to it yet.

MechEGirl

Post by MechEGirl »

Thanks for your prompt response. I was concerned because I did not hear back from SMART or my SF after I enquired about the security clearance.

CSMajor

Post by CSMajor »

If you guys haven’t started it yet, I can’t stress to you enough that you need to! Contact your SF again and SMART. Keep pushing for it to be started soon. I finished my paperwork at the end of August and still haven’t heard back -.. only my previous employers have been contacted so far.

malarious

Post by malarious »

My paperwork started in September, currently waiting on final review.

When I tried contacting people about it, I was told there was nothing to do but wait. So at least for my lab, you cannot do anything to move things along.

MechEGirl

Post by MechEGirl »

I have the same problem. Neither SMART nor my SF are responding to my enquiries regarding the security clearance.

kbl2017

Post by kbl2017 »

It's been about 4-6 months for outside contractors I know to get secret clearance. I will be worried about it closer to late January for a start date of late may. The other thing is interm clearance is also a thing that can be requested which normally takes about a month to receive. I'm sure our facilities have experience - I know mine has had plenty of previous SMART scholars.

SMART-ish

Post by SMART-ish »

So after I contacted SMART and my sponsoring facility multiple times I got the following somewhat helpful answer. SMART told me that in years past they have been the one to initiate clearances but new this year it is the SF's responsibility to initiate clearances. SMART said that they had sent our information for the process over to the SFs and that I needed to be patient and wait till I heard back from their security manager. When I contacted my SF (after an initial less clear response from SMART). They cc-ed the security manager who directed me back to SMART which is when I got the above reply.

So to me it sounds like there's probably some confusion and slow to adapt to change issues happening at the SF. My plan is to wait at most another month before contacting my SF again. I also only have a one year award and will hopefully be starting full-time work sometime early this summer.

MechEGirl

Post by MechEGirl »

Glad to know, I am not alone. Thanks for clarifying.

Smellon

Post by Smellon »

Hello all,
My SF had me submit my e-QIP in early September. I have not heard about the other items on the Reporting Requirements checklist: the JPAS page, OF-612 form, and the SF-87 fingerprint cards. Since they are labelled "as requested", I assume I will be contacted by my SF when I need to create/complete these items?

ForeverAndADay

Post by ForeverAndADay »

Just for reference, I was in the 2016 cohort year and I filled out the e-qip and had everything sent in in late October of 2016. Since then I have had an interview which happened during my summer internship and they've called to clarify a few things on my form. It is now over a year since I filled out all my paperwork and I still do not have a clearance. I am a 3 year participant though, so I still have a year and a half until I graduate and begin working. That probably slowed down the process because it isn't a priority. I just wanted to let you all know that the timeline can be a pain in the ass so don't be schooled if you don't hear anything for at least 6 months after you fill out your e-qip. Make sure you filled out everything correctly, even little mistakes make it that much longer.

CSMajor

Post by CSMajor »

Sounds like you’re getting a TS though. In no aspect should a Secret take over a year to process. Unless you have a very long background or questionable background.