Being accepted to AF through SMART

Answers to various questions regarding the SMART Scholarship application process. Includes many tips and statistics.
Kdsr54

Being accepted to AF through SMART

Post by Kdsr54 »

I am looking into Luke AFB as my main facility. Question, it says I will be joining the 56th Engineering Squadron, would that incinuate I am an officer in the Air Force and as such go to OTS? I am ready and willing to do so just curious.

Smart hopeful

Re: Being accepted to AF through SMART

Post by Smart hopeful »

No, you are not put into any military obligation through SMART, but rather would become a civilian engineer in that division. OCS and ROTC and other officer routes are separate entities altogether.

Kdsr54

Post by Kdsr54 »

Thanks for the speedy reply, suppose down the line I would like to become an officer, would I be able to do that instead of staying a civilian engineer?

Smart hopeful

Post by Smart hopeful »

There are some options to do that. I know in the Coast Guard, there are options to Direct Commission if you are have a degree in engineering. I'm not sure if other branches such as the Navy or Air Force have such incentives. May be something you can look into. It wouldn't hurt to have some civilian experience first.