School refusing to cancel aid

General Discussion for SMART Scholarship Recipients
What do I do

School refusing to cancel aid

Post by What do I do »

I've been fighting with my school for over a month now and they're just refusing to cancel my federal aid. I've told them multiple times, written letters, and even spoken directly to financial aid counselors but they all brush it aside, tell me to wait 5-7 buisness days and then nothing gets done. What are my options here? Can I have SMART contact my school directly to cancel aid since they won't work with me?

GUest98

Re: School refusing to cancel aid

Post by GUest98 »

Nothing terrible will happen to you. You've done all you can and you have the emails to prove it.

DifferentGuest

Post by DifferentGuest »

What do I do wrote:I've been fighting with my school for over a month now and they're just refusing to cancel my federal aid. I've told them multiple times, written letters, and even spoken directly to financial aid counselors but they all brush it aside, tell me to wait 5-7 buisness days and then nothing gets done. What are my options here? Can I have SMART contact my school directly to cancel aid since they won't work with me?
It might be too early. At my school they release the aid information in July, but it isn't fully in the system until August, so there is no way to cancel it until then.

I wouldn't worry too much about it now, and wait until you are there to handle it in person. Federal aid can be cancelled during the semester, at my school it can be done up until midterm.

Original Poster

Post by Original Poster »

But the service agreement states we must cancel it by the 1st. Is this a soft deadline?

kbl2017

Post by kbl2017 »

Original Poster wrote:But the service agreement states we must cancel it by the 1st. Is this a soft deadline?
Where are you seeing the 1st as a rule?
During phase 1, SSPPs may accept funding from sources outside of SMART, including private
scholarships, fellowships, grants, and private or federal student loans. SSPPs may not accept funding
from federal scholarships, fellowships, grants (including the Federal Pell Grant) or other federal funding
sources other than SMART (including Pathways). The only exceptions are salary supplements provided
by SFs and Veteran’s Affairs programs (ex: Montgomery GI Bill, Post 9/11 Veterans Educational
Assistance Act, the Survivors’ and Dependents’ Educational Assistance Program).
Not that you want to accept federal loans and such, but you shouldn't be too worried about it in terms of your funding from SMART being canceled/suspending

Original Poster

kbl2017 wrote:
Original Poster wrote:But the service agreement states we must cancel it by the 1st. Is this a soft deadline?
Where are you seeing the 1st as a rule?
During phase 1, SSPPs may accept funding from sources outside of SMART, including private
scholarships, fellowships, grants, and private or federal student loans. SSPPs may not accept funding
from federal scholarships, fellowships, grants (including the Federal Pell Grant) or other federal funding
sources other than SMART (including Pathways). The only exceptions are salary supplements provided
by SFs and Veteran’s Affairs programs (ex: Montgomery GI Bill, Post 9/11 Veterans Educational
Assistance Act, the Survivors’ and Dependents’ Educational Assistance Program).
Not that you want to accept federal loans and such, but you shouldn't be too worried about it in terms of your funding from SMART being canceled/suspending

I'm just assuming, because that's when our contract starts? And my school is giving me trouble in cancelling my pell grant. They don't understand why I'm wanting to cancel it even though I'm telling them over and over about the scholarship.

afnwc

Post by afnwc »

Where does it give this deadline? I haven't seen it anywhere.

kbl2017

Post by kbl2017 »

Original Poster wrote: I'm just assuming, because that's when our contract starts? And my school is giving me trouble in canceling my pell grant. They don't understand why I'm wanting to cancel it even though I'm telling them over and over about the scholarship.
The rule doesn't apply to pell grants and also pell grants don't have to be paid back right? I honestly would just deal with it when you get back to school. It may not change for the fall but they can change it for the spring. The August 1st is for federal funding related to jobs like pathways positions and is your technical cut off for full time work.

Original Poster

kbl2017 wrote:
Original Poster wrote: I'm just assuming, because that's when our contract starts? And my school is giving me trouble in canceling my pell grant. They don't understand why I'm wanting to cancel it even though I'm telling them over and over about the scholarship.
The rule doesn't apply to pell grants and also pell grants don't have to be paid back right? I honestly would just deal with it when you get back to school. It may not change for the fall but they can change it for the spring. The August 1st is for federal funding related to jobs like pathways positions and is your technical cut off for full time work.
But they specify the pell grant as something you can't accept?

"SSPPs may not accept funding
from federal scholarships, fellowships, grants (including the Federal Pell Grant) or other federal funding"

kbl2017

Post by kbl2017 »

Original Poster wrote:
kbl2017 wrote:
But they specify the pell grant as something you can't accept?

"SSPPs may not accept funding
from federal scholarships, fellowships, grants (including the Federal Pell Grant) or other federal funding"
Lol wow....my bad on that part I didn't read that correctly. However, there's no deadline to that. I would just email SMART and let them know that you're having issues canceling it, but will get it canceled once you are on campus.