who pays salary after graduatation

General Discussion for SMART Scholarship Recipients
salaryyyy

who pays salary after graduatation

Post by salaryyyy »

I was talking to my POC at my SF (keep in mind she doesn't really know all that much about SMART) and she told me that their agency pays GS-11 out of college with your bachelors'.

My question is after I graduate who will pay my salary and, will it be my SF or will SMART continue to be the one who continues to pay me?

also, the internship is technically unpaid if you live close to SF right? (I would just continue getting paid the stipend)

Guest123

Re: who pays salary after graduatation

Post by Guest123 »

salaryyyy wrote:I was talking to my POC at my SF (keep in mind she doesn't really know all that much about SMART) and she told me that their agency pays GS-11 out of college with your bachelors'.

My question is after I graduate who will pay my salary and, will it be my SF or will SMART continue to be the one who continues to pay me?

also, the internship is technically unpaid if you live close to SF right? (I would just continue getting paid the stipend)
The SF pays your salary after graduation. And if you live close to the SF or your school is near the SF, I forget which, you only get the monthly stipend.

DifferentGuest

Post by DifferentGuest »

salaryyyy wrote:I was talking to my POC at my SF (keep in mind she doesn't really know all that much about SMART) and she told me that their agency pays GS-11 out of college with your bachelors'.

GS-11 is very high for a Bachelor's, typically a Bachelor's degree would get you GS-5 or assuming you did reasonable well at school, a GS-7 (The minimum GPA for SMART is enough to get you a GS-7). Even a Master's would typically only get you a GS-9. The general schedule is set and mandated federally based on experience and education, so facility can't really deviate from these norms. Are you sure she didn't say your "full performance level" would be a GS-11? That basically means you would start at a GS-7, move to GS-9 the next year, and then an GS-11 the year after that.

As the above poster said: After graduation your Phase 2 salary is paid by your SF. During the internship you;ll get your normal monthly stipend plus maybe internship support payments if you qualify, but technically you aren't an employee of anyone and the funding isn't in exchange for your work, so yeah you could say its "unpaid"

salaryyyy

Post by salaryyyy »

DifferentGuest wrote:

GS-11 is very high for a Bachelor's, typically a Bachelor's degree would get you GS-5 or assuming you did reasonable well at school, a GS-7 (The minimum GPA for SMART is enough to get you a GS-7). Even a Master's would typically only get you a GS-9. The general schedule is set and mandated federally based on experience and education, so facility can't really deviate from these norms. Are you sure she didn't say your "full performance level" would be a GS-11? That basically means you would start at a GS-7, move to GS-9 the next year, and then an GS-11 the year after that.

As the above poster said: After graduation your Phase 2 salary is paid by your SF. During the internship you;ll get your normal monthly stipend plus maybe internship support payments if you qualify, but technically you aren't an employee of anyone and the funding isn't in exchange for your work, so yeah you could say its "unpaid"
My major is in Computer/Systems Engineering, therefore that may have been why she had said gs-11, and she indicated that is what I would get right out of the gate.

kbl2017

Post by kbl2017 »

salaryyyy wrote:
DifferentGuest wrote:

My major is in Computer/Systems Engineering, therefore that may have been why she had said gs-11, and she indicated that is what I would get right out of the gate.

Your major is not related to your GS scale it's GS7 for bachelors, GS9 for masters and GS11 for a Ph.D. no matter what major you are in school. I would email someone and check this out in the HR department if this is important to your acceptance of the award. GS12 is generally the journeyman level - basically, you jump one pay level every year until you hit it.

You will be paid by your SF so it is good to have a contact out of the HR department. They'll also be who your benefits are with.

Guest23

Post by Guest23 »

Fyi, I had a bachelors and was hired at a salary which was a GS11-Step 5 equivalent.

It is not unheard of.

LOL_DOD_Quizzes

Post by LOL_DOD_Quizzes »

Guest23 wrote:Fyi, I had a bachelors and was hired at a salary which was a GS11-Step 5 equivalent.

It is not unheard of.
Were you in a payband system? Did you have previous work experience?

The OPM standards are provided here:
https://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversig ... -Standards

Most everyone falls under the Professional and Scientific Positions listed on that page. As federal agencies must follow the OPM you either 1) weren't on the GS scale (hence why you said equivalent) 2) you had 1 year work experience at a GS-9 equivalent.

I would be very shocked if you were a fresh bachelor's graduate and received an GS-11 step 5 with no prior experience. (Internships don't count)

Guest23

Post by Guest23 »

No prior experience. Yes, one of the payband scale. Salary was equivalent to gs11-5