questions about forms (URGENT!)

General Discussion for SMART Scholarship Recipients

questions about forms (URGENT!)

Post by Guest »

I'm a new recruit in the 2015 cohort and have some questions. Haven't got a response from SMART yet on any of these :/

1. For the new site orientation form, do we need to have done the online orientation (which doesnt seem to be live yet) before submitting this form?

2. What do they want for graduation date / degree conferral date -- I'm an MS student about to start a 2 year program... should I simply list "May 2017" for both? If this ends up being off by a month will I have an opportunity to modify this later or will that be a big deal?

3. For the education workplan... I was only just admitted to my school, so I do not yet have an academic adviser nor do I have any idea what courses I'll be taking.. am I supposed to just leave most of this form blank?

Thanks so much!!!!

Re: questions about forms (URGENT!)

Post by guest »

I agree with this guy^^.

There's a loop in the paper work

do orientation before you do work site visit request form

request form due May 1st

orientation won't come out for a while.

Let me know what you guys think. Also OP please update if you find out the answer directly from SMART

Post by Guest »

I emailed smart about to request form when I hear back I'll post

Post by Guest »

I received this response from SMART, which (humorously) does not answer the question of whether it is OK to submit the new site visit request form before doing the orientation... I sent a followup and will post any response I get here.
Correct, the orientation is not available yet. It will be available in the award website at https://smart.asee.org/award/ and you will be notified as soon as it is available.

Degree completion date is the date on which an individual completes all degree requirements. This generally occurs prior to degree conferral and is not set forth on official transcripts. Degree conferral is the date on which a degree is bestowed upon an individual. This is set forth on the official transcript reflecting the degree earned and may occur after degree completion. At this time, yes, please provide your best estimated dates for those fields.

Please let us know if you have any other questions.

Post by Guest »

OK guys here is the official word:
Yes, please wait to submit the New Recruitment Site Visit Request form. The orientation materials should be posted online shortly and you will be notified when it is available. If there is a delay we will notify you of an extended deadline for the New Recruitment Site Visit Request form.

Please let us know if you have any other questions.

Post by Guest »

They just sent this to me:

"You are correct; the web-based orientation is not yet available on the website. As soon as it is available for your viewing, we will notify you.

In the meantime, please move forward with the submission of all documents for receipt by 01 May. You may submit your New Recruitment Site Visit Request without checking the box indicating completion of the web-based orientation.

Upon notification, please complete the web-based orientation promptly."

Post by Guest »

I just got this more detailed response from smart@nps.edu
1. If this Fall 2015 will be your first term for your MS degree listed on your award, then you will need to fill out courses starting with Fall 2015. If the exact title of a course is unknown at this time that is fine. For example, if you know you will take a required degree course and an elective course, you may list “required core course” and “free elective.” You will submit an updated Educational Work Plan each year of your award and can then list any known exact titles. We simply want to ensure all required credits can be fulfilled in the amount of time allotted in your award. If your academic advisor is unknown you may put “unknown” for now. Once you do know of your academic advisor we would request you submit the updated information promptly so we can update your records.

2. You are correct; the web-based orientation is not yet available on the website. As soon as it is available for your viewing, we will notify you. In the meantime, please move forward with the submission of all documents for receipt by 01 May. You may submit your New Recruitment Site Visit Request without checking the box indicating completion of the web-based orientation. Upon notification, please complete the web-based orientation.

3. Yes, a month/year format is fine for these dates. Many times for multi-year awards the exact date is unknown but the month and year are known. About three months prior to your degree completion we will ask you to confirm your exact degree completion and conferral dates. However, the only potential issue of a one month later is with the degree completion date because that will affect stipend. So please confirm if classes and course requirements are to be completed in May or June for your institution. If it is June, please submit an award adjustment for an increase of one month.

Post by Guest »

Looks like the way to go IS in fact to submit the new site visit request form with that box unchecked -- just received a clarification on the earlier email where they said to wait:
Please disregard the earlier email. Please move forward with the submission of all documents for receipt by 01 May. You may submit your New Recruitment Site Visit Request without checking the box indicating completion of the web-based orientation.

Thank you,