Studying Abroad with SMART

General Discussion for SMART Scholarship Recipients
soops

Studying Abroad with SMART

Post by soops »

I have been planning on studying abroad for a school year, that would not setback my studies at all, and have had the courses pre-approved by academic advisors at my school ensure that, which is really all SMART asks for in a study abroad program. The only thing is that I would be away from Feb-Nov, meaning I would be gone during the "summer" internship period, but I will have school off during the winter since I will be in school abroad over our "summer". Does anyone have any prior experience with studying abroad with SMART?

Re: Studying Abroad with SMART

Post by Guest »

From the FAQ of the SMART website (I don't have any personal experience with this)
Participants may engage in a study-abroad program upon written approval from the SMART Program Office. SMART will not provide additional funding for travel or additional tuition or fees related to participation in a study-abroad program. Participation in a study-abroad program may be approved if all of the following conditions are satisfied:

the study-abroad curriculum must directly contribute to the completion of degree requirements for which the Participant received funding;
participation in the study-abroad program must not affect the Participant's degree completion, conferral or start of post-graduation service dates;
participation in the study-abroad program must not affect the Participant's ability to fulfill his/her internship and post-graduation service commitments
the Participant maintains full-time enrollment status in the U.S. academic institution for which the Participant receives funding; and
tuition for the study-abroad program is paid directly to the U.S. academic institution for which the Participant receives funding; and
participation in the study-abroad program must not affect the Participant's eligibility to maintain the security clearance required to complete the internship and/or post-graduation service requirements.
Participants are responsible for providing the SMART Program Office with a written confirmation from his/her academic or research advisor on university letterhead that the study-abroad program satisfies these requirements.